Jump to content

A remarkable Dinner tonight


Old Hippie

Recommended Posts

I will be speaking at a dinner tonight where a restaurateur in Columbia SC had the foresight to save/collect 2014, 15, 16 and 17 Old Forester Birthday Bourbons. He is charging $350 per head which I think is very reasonable. It will be fun to do side by side comparisons on 4 different vintages.

  • I like it 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Old Hippie said:

I will be speaking at a dinner tonight where a restaurateur in Columbia SC had the foresight to save/collect 2014, 15, 16 and 17 Old Forester Birthday Bourbons. He is charging $350 per head which I think is very reasonable. It will be fun to do side by side comparisons on 4 different vintages.

That should be fun... and maybe little educational as well.    I've owned and drank the series for a while, sadly ending at 2015.    ...When the price rises became too steep for me, and it soon became so difficult to even find at 'retail'.    I have noticed unmistakable differences from year to year.    Some have been stellar (to my taste buddies) and some have been rather disappointing.    Over all, not surprisingly, they've been mostly somewhat similar with a discernible "family resemblance". 

Please, tell us what you came away thinking about 'em.   ...As well as the dinner and over all experience.

  • I like it 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Old Hippie said:

I will be speaking at a dinner tonight where a restaurateur in Columbia SC had the foresight to save/collect 2014, 15, 16 and 17 Old Forester Birthday Bourbons. He is charging $350 per head which I think is very reasonable. It will be fun to do side by side comparisons on 4 different vintages.

Since you are speaking at this event, I hope the meal and spirits are provided gratis for you.

  • I like it 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Kyjd75 said:

Since you are speaking at this event, I hope the meal and spirits are provided gratis for you.

Yes its free for me - food was great by the way

  • I like it 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

That should be fun... and maybe little educational as well.    I've owned and drank the series for a while, sadly ending at 2015.    ...When the price rises became too steep for me, and it soon became so difficult to even find at 'retail'.    I have noticed unmistakable differences from year to year.    Some have been stellar (to my taste buddies) and some have been rather disappointing.    Over all, not surprisingly, they've been mostly somewhat similar with a discernible "family resemblance". 

Please, tell us what you came away thinking about 'em.   ...As well as the dinner and over all experience.

It was a great experience - Food was great. I have had all the BBs but not side by side like this. That was very interesting. BB each year comes from one distilling day and then aged for 12 years (generally) and bottled at 96 proof.  As you stated, every vintage is different, but that difference is amplified when you taste them side by side. I stated it wrong before. We had the 14,15,17 and 18. I felt the 17 was the best. The 14 was a caramel bomb (which I liked). The 15 was heavy Oak and oak spice. The 17 was just a very nicely balanced whiskey. You just kinda go - "They nailed it". The 18 was a little too sweet for me. 

All in all it was one of the better Tuesday nights of my life.

  • I like it 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/7/2023 at 12:48 PM, jvd99 said:

Hope the menu is as good as the bourbon! 

Food was excellent. If you ever find yourself in Columbia SC, check out Smoked. Great selection of booze at a fair price and excellent food

  • I like it 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

SAO many great restaurants and bars with great whiskey selections there.  I love Charleston.  

  • I like it 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.