Blanton's Gold and SFTB question

steven s
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

should a potential purchaser be worried about the authenticity of current 700ml bottles available in the US of these? I have heard rumors of 700ml counterfeit bottles. thanks all!

• I like it 2

a potential purchaser should always be worried about authenticity when there's money to be made.

• I like it 4

I wouldn't consider buying anything like this unless we are talking about a legitimate retail store with a brick and mortar building and liquor license.

• I like it 2

USA bottles of Blanton's Gold are arriving in 750ml bottles and black Blanton's bags (ask me how I know . . .  🥴).  Bloody expensive ($249.99 ea OTD) when compared to my old Bermuda 750ml Blanton's Gold bottles ($77.99 ea. at Duty Free, $97.99 in downtown Hamilton liquor store).  700s probably from the EU or Japan.  Porbably ok as long as wax seal is intact.  But check and verify.  YMMV.   😬

• I like it 3

I won't buy Blanton's online, especially in Europe. Too much monkey business.

I found 700 ml Golds in France at 103 Euros (sometimes a little less, sometimes a little more), tax included, pretty consistently, in reputable, lasting & licensed establishments almost always with a "1 pp limit" and ALL were found "not in Paris".  SFTB and Weller 12 were considerably harder to find (40 to 50 E for the W12, 125 E for SFTB).  Declining dollar is making the French stuff a bit more expensive but still way cheaper than US secondary. I'll bring a Gold to share.

The Blanton's distributor for the Caribbean sells 750's, tax included, as follows, all in USD, no haggling: Regular $85, Gold $155, SFTB $175.  The various Japanese re-imports were absurdly priced, I do not even remember how much since my glanced right past those.  I bought about 11 cases of the SFTB (mostly 130.6 proof, I will bring a bottle to share in KY, I acquired some 125 proof as well). Over half went to bourbon bros who had helped me out in the past (PR is a bourbon desert, so I rely on Da Bros to get me good things in the US), at my cost.  Bringing those into PR on a cruise ship almost got them all confiscated, that is a harrowing story for another day.  I paid about $4 per bottle in US excise tax.  Pretty much MSRP taking state sales taxes into account. In the future I will have friends who are on cruise ships/vacations pick up a case or two.  Between Europe & Caribbean, it allows me to keep people who have found me great things at their cost happy and my own sense of obligation sated.  Well, and it keeps me well supplied with two bottles I really like. The SFTB has overtaken the Gold as my preferred Blanton's. I reserve the regular Blanton's for gifts & the like; it seems to make the recipients excessively happy.

Edited by Anwalt
  • I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/7/2023 at 9:52 AM, Anwalt said:

I won't buy Blanton's online, especially in Europe. Too much monkey business.

I found 700 ml Golds in France at 103 Euros (sometimes a little less, sometimes a little more), tax included, pretty consistently, in reputable, lasting & licensed establishments almost always with a "1 pp limit" and ALL were found "not in Paris".  SFTB and Weller 12 were considerably harder to find (40 to 50 E for the W12, 125 E for SFTB).  Declining dollar is making the French stuff a bit more expensive but still way cheaper than US secondary. I'll bring a Gold to share.

The Blanton's distributor for the Caribbean sells 750's, tax included, as follows, all in USD, no haggling: Regular $85, Gold $155, SFTB $175.  The various Japanese re-imports were absurdly priced, I do not even remember how much since my glanced right past those.  I bought about 11 cases of the SFTB (mostly 130.6 proof, I will bring a bottle to share in KY, I acquired some 125 proof as well). Over half went to bourbon bros who had helped me out in the past (PR is a bourbon desert, so I rely on Da Bros to get me good things in the US), at my cost.  Bringing those into PR on a cruise ship almost got them all confiscated, that is a harrowing story for another day.  I paid about $4 per bottle in US excise tax.  Pretty much MSRP taking state sales taxes into account. In the future I will have friends who are on cruise ships/vacations pick up a case or two.  Between Europe & Caribbean, it allows me to keep people who have found me great things at their cost happy and my own sense of obligation sated.  Well, and it keeps me well supplied with two bottles I really like. The SFTB has overtaken the Gold as my preferred Blanton's. I reserve the regular Blanton's for gifts & the like; it seems to make the recipients excessively happy.

Can you share the Caribbean distributor info?  I'd like to get an order together.

20 minutes ago, jonboy71 said:

Can you share the Caribbean distributor info?  I'd like to get an order together.

Easily googled.  "Blanton's distributor Caribbean".  Gulmohars.

Tell them that the tax lawyer from PR sent you.  They'll remember!

• I like it 2

On 4/6/2023 at 9:56 PM, steven s said:

should a potential purchaser be worried about the authenticity of current 700ml bottles available in the US of these? I have heard rumors of 700ml counterfeit bottles. thanks all!

Yes.

Unless you're buying from a brick & mortar store, buyer beware. I personally don't buy anything online, especially a euro 700 ml bottle from anywhere here in the States - it's not worth the worry. But if you're still interested I've got a line on a bottle....

Screenshot 2023-04-18 at 5.32.21 PM.png

• I like it 5

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.