Is the bourbon still properly sealed if there is a nic in the foil around the cork?

jonboy71
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Trying to determine if I should buy a bottle that has a nic in the foil around the side of the cork?  Looks like it was rubbed up against something and slightly separated.

You are wise to be skeptical... or at least careful in your evaluation of a bottle... if it's some unicorn that would be worth "counterfeiting".   If it's an ordinary 'shelf stocker', I'd be surprised to find someone faking a bottle.   Now, tampering for some nefarious purpose would be a horse of a different color, eh?    Maybe choose a different bottle, if available?

Just curious, what it is and whether you can share a picture? Is your concern taint or counterfeit? 

• I like it 1

Not concerned if it's a counterfeit.  Just want to ensure it doesn't effect the shelf life.  It's a unicorn bottle, but from a trusted source.

How about another pic of the whole bottle?  The fill level appears to be a little low. ER17

Yes,  Here is another pic.  The fill level looks consistent to other BTAC bottles I've seen.

bottle.jpg

Edited by jonboy71
  • I like it 1

Not that I’m an expert or anything (cough cough) but IMHO, you should be okay as long as the foil wasn’t nicked to the point that  it could be peeled back enough to be able to remove the stopper. Enjoy!

• I like it 1

I’ll just add that the fill level is consistent for the low end of that bottle type (ER & BTAC).

Sometimes you get lucky with the extra neck sip.

Also, you should buy that WT 12y/101.  It’s Fantastic!

Edited by 0895

3 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Not that I’m an expert or anything (cough cough) but IMHO, you should be okay as long as the foil wasn’t nicked to the point that  it could be peeled back enough to be able to remove the stopper. Enjoy!

Well…..(smiley face/eye roll/ winka winka) The pic was from a few years ago. Sadly, only a couple of WLW’s left.

P1040337.jpeg

• I like it 3

While it looks like someone tried to gnaw off the foil, it looks like the original label to me.  I think its legit.   Did you already buy it?  The one picture looks to be outside unless those are gigantic lines of cocaine under your feet.  If so, then there might be another issue.

• I like it 1

On 4/13/2023 at 8:46 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

Well…..(smiley face/eye roll/ winka winka) The pic was from a few years ago. Sadly, only a couple of WLW’s left.

P1040337.jpeg

C'mon Joe, this enough to even make @GeeTen shake his head.  I swear I wanna be like you guys when I grow up.  😁

• I like it 2

20 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

C'mon Joe, this enough to even make @GeeTen shake his head.  I swear I wanna be like you guys when I grow up.  😁

Well Mike, I was pretty lucky over these last 15 or so years. I won’t go into one of my usual  long winded replies for a change. But, I do have to say that I wasn’t quite truthful in my previous post. In checking my inventory sheet, which isn’t really up to date, I now believe all I have left from the BTAC bottles in my picture and a number of others purchased over the years is three bottles of WLW. I still have two from 2007, and the other is from 2021 IIRC. Plans are to open one of my beloved 2007’s in the near future. 

• I like it 3

On 4/13/2023 at 2:55 PM, jonboy71 said:

Yes,  Here is another pic.  The fill level looks consistent to other BTAC bottles I've seen.

bottle.jpg

How much are they asking for that bottle?  That says a lot.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.