Coming of Age

mbroo5880i

More bourbon is coming of age.  I have enjoyed several bottles of "craft" bourbons that are becoming competitive with legacy distillers.  Prices are still slightly higher but not outrageous based on the quality and enjoyment. 

Craft bourbons, I enjoy (in no particular order) include:

Woodinville

New Riff

Chattanooga Whiskey and Rye

Still Austin

Hard Truth

• I like it 3

I've mostly avoided the "craft" stuff.  On the other hand, I do like to try new things.  My criteria for considering: must use full size 53 gallon barrels, some good reviews (besides the people selling it), price can't be crazy (not more than twice what legacy brand would charge relative to age and proof).

I've enjoyed Nelson's Greenbrier from TN, and Green River from Owensboro, KY.

The Green River is from the renovated location that used to be Medley.  Also recently acquired by Bardstown Bourbon Co.  So, not sure it still counts as craft, maybe when they started.

• I like it 3

So far, New Riff is the only one that has stuck with me.  I'll drink the rest if someone else is buying though.

• I like it 4

On 5/23/2023 at 10:37 PM, PaulO said:

I've mostly avoided the "craft" stuff.  On the other hand, I do like to try new things.  My criteria for considering: must use full size 53 gallon barrels, some good reviews (besides the people selling it), price can't be crazy (not more than twice what legacy brand would charge relative to age and proof).

I've enjoyed Nelson's Greenbrier from TN, and Green River from Owensboro, KY.

The Green River is from the renovated location that used to be Medley.  Also recently acquired by Bardstown Bourbon Co.  So, not sure it still counts as craft, maybe when they started.

Aging in 53 gallon barrels is a must.  Same thing with price.  I can get plenty of great bourbon and rye in the low to mid-$20s.  I have yet to buy a craft or even see one in that price range.

I have bought Woodinville for $28 on sale.  I can find it everyday for $36.  I really like it but not at $36.  Of course, economies of scale is beyond their control.  

I paid $45 for a bottle of Chattanooga 111.  I recently bought a second bottle for $40.  It is a buy for me at $40 but not as a regular sipper.  A special treat.  I really like it.  I have never tried the 91 proof version.  I bought one the other day for $28.  No brainer for me.  I have read there is a difference in the flavor even though the same profile. 

New Riff.  I never met a bottle that I didn't enjoy.  Costco used to stock this stuff regular but I haven't seen in there in a while.  An easy buy at $32.  A decision at $40.  Anything above $30 competes with KC9.  

I really like Hard Truth but even the 4 year rye is $40.  Tough sell.  I can grab WTR101 for almost half that price.  

Yet, if the product is good, I will pay a little extra if to support the brand. 

• I like it 1

• 2 months later...
On 5/19/2023 at 10:08 PM, mbroo5880i said:

Hard Truth

Any you in particular? Tried some Old Fashioned's at their restaurant in Indy if memory serves, but have not tried their stuff straight. Will have to go back when visiting my Leetle Seester.

Edited by Anwalt

• 7 months later...

We continue to see the smaller regional distillers coming of age.  I really like New Riff, Hard Truth, Still Austin, Woodinville. Rocktown.  The QPR of their offerings is still an issue but they are producing quality whiskey.  I have no problem purchasing any of their products even at a slightly to moderately higher cost.

• I like it 2

Maybe we are talking about only craft bourbon, but I have a nominee for a new rye distiller to add to this list. I have 2 bottles open from Sagamore rye that is their own distillate: the Bonded 5 and 6 year releases.  They are more known for their NDP stuff, but I am also a fan of their BiB that they make themselves.  Unfortunately in my neck of the woods, the BiB is hard to find.  I am looking forward to tracking this one as they hopefully release a 7 or 8 year version later.

• I like it 4

@mbroo5880i and @Kepler Master Blender Nancy Fraley here, just now seeing this post. I can speak for Still Austin, where we've only ever used 53 gallon ISC #3 char barrels. In fact, since I want to age some of our Bourbon to 8 to 12+ years old, we are now using 63 gallon barrels American oak/Q. Alba barrels from Tonnellerie ô made in Benicia, CA, in order to help with the severe evaporative loss in TX and also to make for a more elegant, less tannic whiskey than what is commonly found in TX. 

• I like it 5

41 minutes ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

@mbroo5880i and @Kepler Master Blender Nancy Fraley here, just now seeing this post. I can speak for Still Austin, where we've only ever used 53 gallon ISC #3 char barrels. In fact, since I want to age some of our Bourbon to 8 to 12+ years old, we are now using 63 gallon barrels American oak/Q. Alba barrels from Tonnellerie ô made in Benicia, CA, in order to help with the severe evaporative loss in TX and also to make for a more elegant, less tannic whiskey than what is commonly found in TX. 

That's an interesting detail, and I know they are in very good hands with you Nancy.  Any idea you can share when the product from those 63 gallon barrels will be available in a bottle?  Fully understand if that is not yet something that is known.

• I like it 2

On 3/29/2024 at 7:22 PM, Kepler said:

That's an interesting detail, and I know they are in very good hands with you Nancy.  Any idea you can share when the product from those 63 gallon barrels will be available in a bottle?  Fully understand if that is not yet something that is known.

Hey @Kepler, sorry I'm just now seeing this again. So, we first started laying down the 63 gallons barrels about 2 years ago, and we've been monitoring their progress. Even at 2 years old they're very nice, but the whole idea behind using the bigger barrels for central TX hot and humid maturation conditions is to really slow down the maturation process, as well as help retard too much evaporative loss over the years. I also chose barrels that would be very slow in releasing their tannin content, going with at least 24 month yard seasoned staves. 

Thus, my plan is that the first of these barrels will start to come on line when they are at least 8 years old, so essentially in another 6 years. But quite honestly, although I've tried very hard to plan a long term maturation program for the Still Austin/TX whiskey, time will be the only thing that really tells how it will mature. I think where the barrels are going so far, the first release at 8 years old seems to be a very real possibility. If we keep those barrels in a "cooler" area of the warehouses, at least relative to how the other barrels mature, then I think we might have a shot at hitting the 10 to 12 year range as well. I hope that helps? 

Also, I might add that I would like to also experiment with 300 liter/92 gallon barrels at Still Austin for a 12 to 15 year old Bourbon release. 

Edited by WhiskeyBlender
  • I like it 10

21 hours ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

Hey @Kepler, sorry I'm just now seeing this again. So, we first started laying down the 63 gallons barrels about 2 years ago, and we've been monitoring their progress. Even at 2 years old they're very nice, but the whole idea behind using the bigger barrels for central TX hot and humid maturation conditions is to really slow down the maturation process, as well as help retard too much evaporative loss over the years. I also chose barrels that would be very slow in releasing their tannin content, going with at least 24 month yard seasoned staves. 

Thus, my plan is that the first of these barrels will start to come on line when they are at least 8 years old, so essentially in another 6 years. But quite honestly, although I've tried very hard to plan a long term maturation program for the Still Austin/TX whiskey, time will be the only thing that really tells how it will mature. I think where the barrels are going so far, the first release at 8 years old seems to be a very real possibility. If we keep those barrels in a "cooler" area of the warehouses, at least relative to how the other barrels mature, then I think we might have a shot at hitting the 10 to 12 year range as well. I hope that helps? 

Also, I might add that I would like to also experiment with 300 liter/92 gallon barrels at Still Austin for a 12 to 15 year old Bourbon release. 

Very cool! (no pun intended, Lol).  Thanks for the extra details and this gives us something to look forward to!

• I like it 1

• 2 months later...

I hate trying something "new / unknown / out of my comfort zone" and being disappointed, but I've recently embraced it.  In recent weeks I've purchased, sampled and enjoyed offerings from New Riff, Wilderness Trail, Starlight, and Chattanooga.  To varying degrees I have liked all of them. 

Others on the list to try include Hard Truth and Green River.  Pricing on the Hard Truth Rye is pretty hard to stomach considering the young age.  Green River pricing seems to be pretty good across the board.  When I see the full proof on local shelves I will grab a bottle.  

I'd like to try Still Austin, but most of what's available and affordable in my area is aged only 2 years.  Two-year anything is a hard pass for me.  

• 3 weeks later...

Old Dominick in Memphis has been releasing their own aged bourbon and Tennessee Whiskey for the last couple of years. We’ve been impressed with their regularly available releases, and just picked a 6 year old barrel of their Tennessee Whiskey. Their pricing was never what I would consider egregious like some craft distillers, but I think they realized that more competitive pricing was necessary if they wanted to successfully expand into other markets, so they recently reduced prices. I expect them to continue to grow, especially now with their more accessible pricing. 

On 7/15/2024 at 8:42 PM, lcpfratn said:

Old Dominick in Memphis has been releasing their own aged bourbon and Tennessee Whiskey for the last couple of years. We’ve been impressed with their regularly available releases, and just picked a 6 year old barrel of their Tennessee Whiskey. Their pricing was never what I would consider egregious like some craft distillers, but I think they realized that more competitive pricing was necessary if they wanted to successfully expand into other markets, so they recently reduced prices. I expect them to continue to grow, especially now with their more accessible pricing. 

My BIL and his wife moved to Memphis last year. I knew nothing of O.D. but we went to lunch at Gus fried chicken across the street (DELICIOUS!!). I immediately started googling O.D. while we waited for our table. After we ate the family was game to wander across the street so I could investigate further. I loved the 44%rye and the Alex Castle tie in with WT so I was very much looking forward to a tasting. I had a flight of their single barrels and I gotta say I really love the atmosphere, they did a GREAT job on that facility. I enjoyed my pours, 1 stood out (they had 3 or 4 SBCS releases available in the flight) I cant remember which one I preferred but I didn't feel the bottle price was justified so I passed, there was potential but I decided to wait and revisit once they had a couple more years behind them. I understand Alex Castle has since eft O.D. but I am still very much interested in the 44%rye bourbon ( I do love my ryes!!). I am very glad to hear they have revisited their pricing and realigned. I believe there is a SBBS in my future and I very much look forward to revisiting the distillery and spending more time on a future trip. Its great to hear you have good things to say and found the TN whiskey worthy of a pick. Do they let you have it at CS or will you get a proofed down bottling?

On 7/17/2024 at 9:02 AM, kcgumbohead said:

My BIL and his wife moved to Memphis last year. I knew nothing of O.D. but we went to lunch at Gus fried chicken across the street (DELICIOUS!!). I immediately started googling O.D. while we waited for our table. After we ate the family was game to wander across the street so I could investigate further. I loved the 44%rye and the Alex Castle tie in with WT so I was very much looking forward to a tasting. I had a flight of their single barrels and I gotta say I really love the atmosphere, they did a GREAT job on that facility. I enjoyed my pours, 1 stood out (they had 3 or 4 SBCS releases available in the flight) I cant remember which one I preferred but I didn't feel the bottle price was justified so I passed, there was potential but I decided to wait and revisit once they had a couple more years behind them. I understand Alex Castle has since eft O.D. but I am still very much interested in the 44%rye bourbon ( I do love my ryes!!). I am very glad to hear they have revisited their pricing and realigned. I believe there is a SBBS in my future and I very much look forward to revisiting the distillery and spending more time on a future trip. Its great to hear you have good things to say and found the TN whiskey worthy of a pick. Do they let you have it at CS or will you get a proofed down bottling?

All of our picks with them have been at cask strength. We’ve done 2 previous picks of their Huling Station Bourbon, which was contract distilled at MGP for Old Dominick using their own high rye mashbill while they were getting their distillery and facilities up and running. They still have some of those barrels aging in their rickhouses , but a portion their own distillate in barrels is now 6 years old or more. 

Alex Castle has left to get back closer to family in Kentucky from what I understand. She has joined Augusta Distillery in Augusta, Kentucky as their Master Distiller. According to the owners at Old Dominick, they are still in good hands after her departure, but wish her well with her new endeavors. 

• I like it 1