Best in Class Whiskey 2023

mbroo5880i
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

C'mon folks.  No chatter for one of the American Distilling Institute's 2023 Best in Class Whiskeys?  New Holland Dragon's Milk Small Batch.  

I have tried New Holland Bourbons and every single one of them tasted like mineral spirits.  Not that I have ever drank mineral spirits.  I have seen this one at a few stores in Indy for $49.99.  Has anyone tried it?  Best in Class? A 5-year old bourbon?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joemicallef/2023/05/17/the-top-american-craft-whiskeys-from-the-2023-american-distilling-institute-judging/?sh=19d7dca017f1

Edited by mbroo5880i

Yikes. I’m not a fan of when breweries try to switch to distilled spirits.

Not to say it's unavailable... but, I've never seen (or heard of ) it.    

Mineral Spirits?   YUCK!

I should clarify that I have not tried this whiskey. However,  all of the others from New Holland that I have tried were awful. 

Edited by mbroo5880i

18 hours ago, PhantomLamb said:

Yikes. I’m not a fan of when breweries try to switch to distilled spirits.

I'm generally not a fan of any whisk(e)y that's won a 'prestigious' award from San Francisco, a magazine or anywhere else. Those "awards" are like participation medals or something. 

• I like it 1

15 hours ago, jvd99 said:

I'm generally not a fan of any whisk(e)y that's won a 'prestigious' award from San Francisco, a magazine or anywhere else. Those "awards" are like participation medals or something. 

If it's which one wins the award, and all the contestants are from the craft category.  That doesn't give me a lot of confidence.  

5 minutes ago, PaulO said:

If it's which one wins the award, and all the contestants are from the craft category.  That doesn't give me a lot of confidence.  

I'd pay attention to a competition among the big boys: MM, HH, BT, WT, BF, FR

Without knowing anything else, those are best in class when I'm vacillating 

• I like it 4

On 5/25/2023 at 6:10 PM, jvd99 said:

Nothing speaks excellence like a whiskey that advertises it was a Bronze or Silver medal winner in SF.  Especially given they paid to play the awards game. 😀

• I like it 1

The only store in my area that carries New Holland products is Meijer.  Last week, the local Meijer had several bottles of Dragon Milk Origins.  Today, the shelf was wiped clean.  I wasn't planning to buy a bottle.  I just thought it was interesting how a nonconsequential spirits competition is picked up the public and determines purchasing decisions. Similarly, last week this Meijer had standard Yellowstone 93 for $24.99 which they claim is 50% off.  It is not a bad bottle for $24.99 though well below OF100 or WT101 in the same price range.  Today, the shelf was cleared.  I assume some Cheap Bastard considered half price too good to pass up.

• I like it 1

On 5/27/2023 at 8:32 PM, mbroo5880i said:

The only store in my area that carries New Holland products is Meijer.  Last week, the local Meijer had several bottles of Dragon Milk Origins.  Today, the shelf was wiped clean.  I wasn't planning to buy a bottle.  I just thought it was interesting how a nonconsequential spirits competition is picked up the public and determines purchasing decisions. Similarly, last week this Meijer had standard Yellowstone 93 for $24.99 which they claim is 50% off.  It is not a bad bottle for $24.99 though well below OF100 or WT101 in the same price range.  Today, the shelf was cleared.  I assume some Cheap Bastard considered half price too good to pass up.

I think 'Cheap Bastard' bourbon won a Triple Gold medal at the last spirits competition

• I like it 2

51 minutes ago, jvd99 said:

I think 'Cheap Bastard' bourbon won a Triple Gold medal at the last spirits competition

I knew I should have bought a case. 😮

• I like it 2

On 5/27/2023 at 9:32 PM, mbroo5880i said:

Now, let’s not confuse cheap with dumb LOL!!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.