Geeze no. Daniel Weller?

Kepler

Made from unobtainium.  I saw a quote on FB:  "Comes with a built in tater compass that always points towards stores with Weller in stock."

• I like it 7

FFS…What Douchelords.  

“In homage to Daniel’s pioneering journey, each release from the Daniel Weller series is packaged in a clear 750ml glass bottle with a unique compass stopper. Once opened, underneath the stopper one will find the coordinates pinpointing the location of Daniel’s farm near Botland, KY.”

• I like it 5

$499.99.

It is good to see one of the majors producing and pricing whiskey for the common man.

• I like it 6

10 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

$499.99.

It is good to see one of the majors producing and pricing whiskey for the common man.

Once again proving that Bourbon, as a whiskey category, remains the best value available for quality spirits, eh?  😉🤔

• I like it 2

14 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

FFS…What Douchelords.  

“In homage to Daniel’s pioneering journey, each release from the Daniel Weller series is packaged in a clear 750ml glass bottle with a unique compass stopper. Once opened, underneath the stopper one will find the coordinates pinpointing the location of Daniel’s farm near Botland, KY.”

I'm glad that after all these years of arguing with you about pricing of this and marketing of that, now I know where your line is.  🤪

• I like it 6

Just wait for Grandpa Cooter Weller White Dog with an MSRP of $199 for a 375 ml bottle

• I like it 2

5 hours ago, BigRich said:

I'm glad that after all these years of arguing with you about pricing of this and marketing of that, now I know where your line is.  🤪

🤣🤣🤣

10 hours ago, jvd99 said:

Just wait for Grandpa Cooter Weller White Dog with an MSRP of $199 for a 375 ml bottle

Maybe Grandma's Cooter would sell better.  😀

• I like it 2

17 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Maybe Grandma's Cooter would sell better.  😀

The original Gweneth Paltrow

On 6/7/2023 at 7:41 PM, mbroo5880i said:

$499.99.

It thought this was a joke, but just read about this online and its MSRP is indeed $500. What a rip off. 

• I like it 2

I like how the public is being sold this concept that adding some wheat to a mash bill makes whiskey expensive. 🥴 

Poor people in a lot of countries survive by filling up on bread (made from wheat) because it's inexpensive.

• I like it 2

7 hours ago, PaulO said:

I like how the public is being sold this concept that adding some wheat to a mash bill makes whiskey expensive. 🥴 

Poor people in a lot of countries survive by filling up on bread (made from wheat) because it's inexpensive.

Yeah, the 'Tater' effect.    Tell folx that Pappy is a wheater, wait a few years for that small truth to percolate through the blogosphere, then start to monetize the word "wheat" for all it's worth . . . and a whole helluva lot more!

• I like it 1

9 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

Yeah, the 'Tater' effect.    Tell folx that Pappy is a wheater, wait a few years for that small truth to percolate through the blogosphere, then start to monetize the word "wheat" for all it's worth . . . and a whole helluva lot more!

It's about $40 per year for this NAS product  as BT claims it's aged just under 12 years - whatever that means.  That's even more expensive on a per-year basis than well known age-stated Scotch single malts.  For example, you can get a 30 year old Laphroaig for $1000 and it's only $30 per year. This BT product has no business charging that much, it's a pure money grab. Disappointing. 

• I like it 4

4 minutes ago, jvd99 said:

It's about $40 per year for this NAS product  as BT claims it's aged just under 12 years - whatever that means.  That's even more expensive on a per-year basis than well known age-stated Scotch single malts.  For example, you can get a 30 year old Laphroaig for $1000 and it's only $30 per year. This BT product has no business charging that much, it's a pure money grab. Disappointing. 

While I’m not not overly critical of money grabs in general, your points are very valid.  Rather, it’s the lame back story and compass stopper and coordinates crap that irk the shit out of me.  BT should be better than that.  As I said earlier, this is total douchelord marketing babble, better suited for some imaginary NDP bottler.  Listen, I like a good story and a well appointed package.  They really can make my drinking experience more enjoyable.  But, this is…well…douchey…🤷

• I like it 4

I have no problem if a legacy distiller wants to release some super expensive premium brand, just take care of the flagship brands first.

And the super expensive premium brand had better to be justified by more than a cock and bull story.

• I like it 4

Just remember this is basically an experimental release.  Remember when the experimental bottles were $40/375ml?

4 hours ago, 0895 said:

Just remember this is basically an experimental release.  Remember when the experimental bottles were $40/375ml?

Ha!   ...And, more than a few were . . . well . . . awful.   Probaly not worth 1/0th of the ask.   There were a select few that were quite interesting.  ...Even close to the value mark, if your palate was aligned.     

The current "experiment"? At $500.   Uh...NO!

• I like it 1

While this is a nonsense release, it doesn't bother me too much because who cares? The actual liquid is nothing special and I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything if I never get to try it (quite likely). If you want twelve year old BT wheated bourbon, get Weller 12. While that one is highly allocated/marked-up/whatever, it's still more available and cheaper than this nonsense.

The influence of the Pappy/wheater mania can really be seen in how many craft outfits are making wheated bourbon in addition to or instead of rye recipe bourbons. Just this year, I have tried wheated bourbons from Willett, Bardstown Bourbon Co., Wilderness Trail, and KO Distilling here in Virginia. While Weller is good, I don't think it is so much better or different from these brands that it is irreplaceable (maybe a true Weller Whore would disagree :) ). And, of course, legacy majors Maker's Mark and Heaven Hill continue to turn out wheated bourbon.

• I like it 2

7 hours ago, 0895 said:

I do...I remember many years ago these would just languish on the shelf. One day my wife was at the LS and thought the 375ml bottles were "cute" and surprised me, and I still have a couple, including this 23 year old BT mash bill #2 aged in a 135 gallon French oak barrel. I have no idea what it cost, but probably not much.

More recently the EHT line was used for widespread experimental releases and those weren't too expensive either.  The next glut can't come soon enough

IMG_5695.jpeg

• I like it 3

I remember the joke - It's an experiment to see how much people will pay.  😄

• I like it 5

It might as well not exist as it won’t be seen on store shelves for under $2k and likely more.

I’m long over chasing stupid shit whether stickers or compasses or whatever else some marketing dork remembered from their last fever dream.  

• I like it 4

Yep, those of us that have followed this sort of activity, even as spectators, can guess the MSRP will be the starting point.  Gouging and flipping to follow.  🤡