Overlooked Louisville activities for veterans

Jazz June

I'll be in Louisville for some barrel picks next month and have an open half day in my schedule. What activities are often overlooked, even by those who have been to Louisville (many times) before?

I have done all of the distillery tours in the area except for Rabbit Hole (any particular reason to hit this one?), visited the museums, had fancy bourbon balls, perused some of the better known shops, and eaten and drank at oft recommended tasting bars and restaurants. Is there anything cool I'm missing?

I'm willing to take a drive out to something, but don't have enough time to go too far (for example, don't have time to go to Bardstown and back).

Thanks in advance.

I'm with @smokinjoe on this one....I'd take a nap!   

If not......I don't know if they're overlooked, but we did the Brown-Foreman Cooperage tour.  This was really cool.

Churchill Downs has a few tours, we did the "Special Access" tour and had a blast, and they might have one that fits your timeframe.     I'm not a horse racing fan, but I was very impressed with Churchill Downs.

https://www.derbymuseum.org/plan-a-visit/special-access.html

That, or go hang out at the Garage Bar  https://www.garageonmarket.com/   They have great food and drinks. 

22 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I'm with @smokinjoe on this one....I'd take a nap!   

If not......I don't know if they're overlooked, but we did the Brown-Foreman Cooperage tour.  This was really cool.

Churchill Downs has a few tours, we did the "Special Access" tour and had a blast, and they might have one that fits your timeframe.     I'm not a horse racing fan, but I was very impressed with Churchill Downs.

https://www.derbymuseum.org/plan-a-visit/special-access.html

That, or go hang out at the Garage Bar  https://www.garageonmarket.com/   They have great food and drinks. 

Garage bar is a fantastic place to hang out!!!   Agree

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

We ended up doing the new product tasting in Clermont with Fred Noe and Baker Beam. I can’t recommend it enough. Fred is so full of stories and the intertwined love of family and bourbon are an awesome reminder of how cool Kentucky bourbon is and that it is more than just a drink.

• I like it 3

6 hours ago, Jazz June said:

We ended up doing the new product tasting in Clermont with Fred Noe and Baker Beam. I can’t recommend it enough. Fred is so full of stories and the intertwined love of family and bourbon are an awesome reminder of how cool Kentucky bourbon is and that it is more than just a drink.

That sounds like a blast!  

Did you like any of the new products?

46 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

That sounds like a blast!  

Did you like any of the new products?

We got to try KC 18, Booker’s Fred’s Pick from the direct to consumer box, Baker’s 7 SiB and Baker’s 13 SiB. My quick impressions were that KC 18 was over oaked, that’s a solid Booker’s, Baker’s 7 SiB is good but in a very competitive price range and Baker’s 13 was my favorite and very good. However 4 of 6 in our group said the KC 18 was their favorite with me and one other voting Baker’s 13.

• I like it 1

11 hours ago, Jazz June said:

We got to try KC 18, Booker’s Fred’s Pick from the direct to consumer box, Baker’s 7 SiB and Baker’s 13 SiB. My quick impressions were that KC 18 was over oaked, that’s a solid Booker’s, Baker’s 7 SiB is good but in a very competitive price range and Baker’s 13 was my favorite and very good. However 4 of 6 in our group said the KC 18 was their favorite with me and one other voting Baker’s 13.

Thanks!

Gives us an excuse to visit Beam again.   Did you have to book the tasting in advance?

2 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Thanks!

Gives us an excuse to visit Beam again.   Did you have to book the tasting in advance?

We did buy tickets a few weeks prior.

• I like it 1