Budget rye, whiskey

Dennis76

1 hour ago, Dennis76 said:

What is a good budget rye whiskey for newbies?

My favorite budget rye for sipping neat is Old Forester 100 Rye.  Next after that is the Wild Turkey 101 proof Rye.  

For mixing an Old Fashioned cocktail I generally prefer Rittenhouse Bottled in Bond Rye.

Try any of those three, and you just can't go wrong IMO. 

P.S.   Welcome to SB!  Please share your experiences and feedback.

• I like it 6

I second the Rittenhouse for cocktails.  I'm kind of a regular Manhattan drinker, and I haven't found a bottle in the $20 range that beats it.  

I, too, rotate OF 100 rye, Ritt, and WT rye 101 when I make Manhattans.  WHICH one used depends on my mood.  Another widely available, reasonably priced rye which many bars and restaurants have and use in drinks is Bulleit Rye.  Its mashbill is 95% rye, so it is spicier than most other readily available ryes.

• I like it 2

The 4 I try to keep on my shelf always are old Forrester, wt 101, ritt, and sazerac. Ironically mpg options have gotten pricier around the way. But I generally used to keep one of those around as well.

• I like it 1

Budget rye is an ubiquitous term. Value is in the eye and budget of the beholder. 

I will arbitrarily set a price of $30 as my line of demarcation 

WTR101, OFR100, EC94, BABY SAZ.

Right now, a retailer in my area has Alberta Premium Rye CS @  $29.99.  It blows everything else out of the water at that price. 

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 1

13 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

Budget rye is an ubiquitous term. Value is in the eye and budget of the beholder. 

Right now, a retailer in my area has Alberta Premium Rye CS @  $29.99.  It blows everything else out of the water at that price. 

Wow for the cask strength that's more than half off!  Excellent value.

18 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

That really is a sick price. Budget price, not a budget rye.

For beginners?

-Sazerac Rye

-Rittenhouse or Elijah Craig rye

-WT 101 rye

-Rossville

for something with a little more punch, Knob Creek

Wild Turkey 101 rye would be a good example of a Kentucky style barely legal rye. Rittenhouse, Elijah Craig, and Sazerac also fall in this category. Bulleit rye is an affordable expression of the MGP distilled 95% rye mash bill that you will find in so many brands. Old Forester rye is sort of in between those poles and is a delicious good value. 

• I like it 1

Lots of good recommendations above.  I would lean towards: Old Forester Rye, Rittenhouse, and WT Rye (and not just for newbies).

Anytime you see "distilled in Indiana" on a rye label, assume made by MGP in Lawrenceburg.  Those can be good too, but the 95% rye is a different taste profile compared to the KY ryes.  Bulleit Rye falls in this category, so does the Dickel Rye.  Many versions of MGP rye out there under different labels.  

• I like it 2