My bar, and it's story

Dedward429

Hello all! I've been drinking bourbon for a little over a year now. The people on here taught me a lot about bourbon and I wanted to show my appreciation by sharing a story with you all. I wanted to share a picture of my bourbon and, more importantly, my bar. Bourbon selection is weak, so pay less attention to that lol. I wnated to share this picture of my bar because it comes with a message. The bar has flaws but each one tells a story. The bar was built by hand, from mostly scrap wood, and by my 78 year old father. 10 years ago my father was diagnosed with cancer and was given 6 years to live. He finished this bar for me 1 year ago and he's still with me today, still teaching me metal craft and woodwork. I wanted to share this with you because I wanted you all to know that you can accomplish anything with will power, hard work, and dedication. I guess all I wanted to say was, whatever you're going through in life, stay strong, stay positive, and keep moving forward. Thank you all for reading and thank you for keeping this forum amazing. Hope this inspires some one to make a positive change in their lives and mind set.

Love David

16917137170337640766743993445693.jpg

• I like it 22

Great story, nice selection and what a wonderful experience to share with your father.  Thanks.

• I like it 2

Wow! Thank you so much for posting the pic and sharing your story. Wonderful. 🙏 Post of the year stuff IMHO. 👍

• I like it 1

Great bar, great story, and a great experience!  I just have one question -- your fridge appears to be set to 18C.  So, what's in there.... red wine?  I assume it isn't beer.....

• I like it 1

Thank you for sharing the lovely story and message! Your choice of drinking companion more than makes up for any "weakness" in the bourbon (which is also silly, I see some darn good bourbons there). If I have my choice, I'll choose great drinking partners and great bourbon, but if I can only have one I'll take the better company every time.

• I like it 1

Cool Story and don't look down on your selection. I could find a nice pour easily enough at that bar. Your Dad "Rocks"!!!

• I like it 2

What's to say? Your story is an awesome one on several levels and I appreciate your sharing. 

• I like it 1

I like the feature of the rods that keep bottles from walking off the shelf - nice touch.

Also agree with bayouredd, plenty of nice pours in your selection.

• I like it 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/11/2023 at 7:50 AM, MShoulder said:

Great bar, great story, and a great experience!  I just have one question -- your fridge appears to be set to 18C.  So, what's in there.... red wine?  I assume it isn't beer.....

It is red wine. It's mostly pinot noir and some whites for cooking. I have a few sweet wines in there but those are for guests. I don't know much about wine and don't drink it often. Just kind of set the temp to what i liked drinking it at.

Thank you for all the positive responses everyone. If you zoom in the bottle of Johnnie Walker Black label, it is from the 70s. My parents bought it for my uncle Jimmy back when they had a party celebrating their first house purchase. I have pictures of him drinking from the bottle. He recently passed and he's one of the people that kept my uncles and aunts from becoming orphans, so it will be a great honor to take the smallest sip from that bottle from time to time. Can't wait to share a drink with my cousin (his daughter) next time she's in town.

• I like it 5