New Maker’s Mark: Kentucky distillery adding its first older bourbon to bottle lineup

fishnbowljoe

Now that this is official, I can now say that I got to try this about a month ago. The Bourbon Crusaders had a very special experience with Rob Samuels and Amanda Humphrey at the distillery that included tasting this and the 12yr old. Both are absolutely fantastic. Best modern MM I've ever had.

• I like it 7

I'm not sure the concept of adding 13% 11 year old barrels to 87% 12 year old barrels.  It seems easier from a marketing and brand perspective, have 100% 12 year and that age statement is a big selling point.

Regardless, more aged version of MM is good news.

1 hour ago, PaulO said:

I'm not sure the concept of adding 13% 11 year old barrels to 87% 12 year old barrels.  It seems easier from a marketing and brand perspective, have 100% 12 year and that age statement is a big selling point.

That was my first thought as well. Plus put MM12 right up against W12.

It sounds more like - put MM12 up against all the tater labels, even the really pricey ones. 

• I like it 1

Well, I'm a buyer of at least one or maybe six.  IF I see it locally.  THX for the head's up, Joe, AND for the tasting experience, Steve.

My only concern, based on my experience with higher proof yet easily drinkable bourbon, is: I have no idea when to put the glass down.🙄

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Well, I'm a buyer of at least one or maybe six.  IF I see it locally.  THX for the head's up, Joe, AND for the tasting experience, Steve.

My only concern, based on my experience with higher proof yet easily drinkable bourbon, is: I have no idea when to put the glass down.🙄

If you see 6 you should definitely be on that plan.

• I like it 1

I love the Maker’s expansion of their offerings.  I look forward to trying this ~12 year.  

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Here's some advice from a totally non-sanctioned source (me!)...

I generally put down the glass when either... a) I find it's been emptied; and/or b) I can no longer find the bottle from which to refill it.  Those self-emptying glasses are (and have been for a very long time in my household) a real mystery, eh?

• I like it 2

On 8/17/2023 at 7:48 AM, PaulO said:

Regardless, more aged version of MM is good news.

I have no idea but I'm (optimistically) guessing that the 11 yr stock are real honey barrels that really add something nice to the 12 yr barrels.  They might be stretching the 11 yr stock and using it in future releases as well.  IIRC didn't Jim Rutledge at Four Roses also stretch out his honey barrels over multiple releases over several years?  Those turned out great.

Could be wishful thinking on my part, but it might explain the curious blend percentages.  Maybe someone has a better guess.

I suspected as much, the a small portion of slightly younger barrels might add something positive to the batch.  On the other hand "12 years old" looks mighty nice on a Bourbon label - makes me want to get the billfold out of the pocket.  

For me, the ask is rather high to 'make me want to pull out that billfold'.    I'll wait a little longer to (hopefully) taste a sample and decide if a bottle is worth the price to me.   As always my taste buddies are in charge.

The possibility exists that it could be stellar stuph.    I hope it is.   We'll see, eh?

• I like it 1

21 hours ago, Kepler said:

IIRC didn't Jim Rutledge at Four Roses also stretch out his honey barrels over multiple releases over several years? 

Yes he did.

8 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

The possibility exists that it could be stellar stuph.   

I can tell you that it is.

• I like it 1

Any idea on price/availability? I know it won’t be hitting PA anytime soon…if ever 🤦🏻‍♂️.

I’ve heard that the suggested msrp is $140.00-$150.00. What retailers will charge is another matter.  🤨 Distribution will start here in the US next month. 

Speculation here on my part, but semi-educated IMHO. MM is bottled by taste, not age. They sample barrels from time to time, and when it meets their taste profile, they bottle it. (There’s a little more to it than that, but y’all get the general gist of things.) From what I’ve been told in the past, MM is normally in the 5 1/2-6 1/2 yr age range. Rotating their barrels helps with this I’m sure. With the news of the new longer aged version being bottled with 11 yr old and 12 yr old bourbon, my semi-educated guess is there’s a good possibility that this was also bottled by taste as well. Hey, makes sense to me. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• I like it 1

The majority of the aging past the standard 6 years for Maker’s Mark for this occurred in cellar conditions so this isn’t going to taste like 11-12 years in a standard rickhouse. Still excited to try it though.

• I like it 2

On 8/18/2023 at 7:52 PM, smokinjoe said:

I love the Maker’s expansion of their offerings.  I look forward to trying this ~12 year.  

This.  We can speculate how we think it will be.  Only in the glass will we really know.  

This said, I might pay for a pour but as a Cheap Bastard I will not be paying $150 for bottle.  I am OK with MMCS or MM101. But is just me.  There are a lot of other opinions out there.  For most brands, my preferred age and proof range is 7 to 10 years and 100 to 105 proof.  I can find plenty in that range.  Not wheated bourbons but that is ok.

This said, I agree with @smokinjoe.  More options from legacy distillers is better.  I may not buy a bottle or even see one but others will and that is good.  MM was a stodgy distiller for so long but now the boom has made them move into today's bourbon market.  

I am cheap but I envy those who aren't and can find something they enjoy that is a unique offering.  If you find it, enjoy!

• I like it 3