20 year old Pappy signed by Julian III (help)

deejay82miller

I’m new here, but it seems like this is the place to go for some advice. I’ve recently come across a 20 year old Pappy bottled in 2007, signed by Julian III. I’m not sure I want to sell it, but I’m trying to figure out roughly what it’s worth. Any advice would be appreciated! 

IMG_3861.jpeg

Open it and enjoy!!!!!!!!!!   Save that signed bottle once it's empty, though.   A nice keepsake/vanity-display piece. 

Value?  It being illegal for private individuals to sell liquor, I'd say... zero dollars.

• I like it 3

I suppose you could find an auction house with a liquor license.  No doubt they'd have a ball park appraisal what it might fetch.

The people here at SB.com are more about opening bottles and good times. 🥃😉

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, PaulO said:

I suppose you could find an auction house with a liquor license.  No doubt they'd have a ball park appraisal what it might fetch.

Yes, contact Skinner’s Auction about this. You’ll get a value and a reliable market place to potentially sell your bottle.  Some SB members have successfully used Skinner’s to transact in whiskey sales and purchases.  

Sorry I can't help you. No idea.  A bottle like that would be worth more to me and my friends & family to enjoy than the money.  Good luck with your chase.

Edited by Kepler

On 8/18/2023 at 9:26 AM, deejay82miller said:

I’m new here, but it seems like this is the place to go for some advice. I’ve recently come across a 20 year old Pappy bottled in 2007, signed by Julian III. I’m not sure I want to sell it, but I’m trying to figure out roughly what it’s worth. Any advice would be appreciated! 

I'd guess it's Stitzel Weller; 20yo and a signed bottle.  Wow!  I shudder to think of what that would fetch.  I would contact an auction house rather than risk dabbling in the illegal secondary market.  Just out of curiosity, how did you happen to come by such a unicorn?

On 8/18/2023 at 4:31 PM, PaulO said:

On 8/18/2023 at 6:28 PM, smokinjoe said:

Yes, contact Skinner’s Auction about this. You’ll get a value and a reliable market place to potentially sell your bottle.  Some SB members have successfully used Skinner’s to transact in whiskey sales and purchases.  

I am by no means an expert on this sort of thing but it seems like a reputable licensed auction house would also be able to verify authenticity.  The bottle looks legit as does the signature but who knows?

I'd say drink it and keep the bottle, but if you want to sell legally, you can also contact Sotheby's NY as they have periodic whisky auctions based out of NY. They will give you an auction hammer price estimated range via e-mail. I doubt the autograph adds any value as Julian is still alive and well and signs a bunch of stuff.

Both Texas (starting Sept 1st) and KY have vintage spirits laws where you as a consumer can sell a bottle to licensed retail package store.  In Texas, I have setup a legal version on the secondary market to connect buyers and sellers with a licensed package store handling the transaction.  

• I like it 1

There's always someone primed and ready to make a buck when and if the law allows it.  Case in point.  Buyers do your research.

I don’t really want to sell, I just don’t know if it’s worth $500 or $5000. Just want to know roughly. 

5 minutes ago, deejay82miller said:

I don’t really want to sell, I just don’t know if it’s worth $500 or $5000. Just want to know roughly. 

I’ll respond to you again.  Contact Skinner’s Auction for this info.  

• 1 month later...

If that bottle showed up here, it would be opened and enjoyed. :)  Especially if it truly is Stitzel-Weller juice...screw the $ value, the real value is in the tasting and savoring!