Kentucky Vintage 1979 Bottling Today at Willett

Kyjd75

Time for another story about our most recent trip to the Bar at Willett.  Today was our 44th wedding anniversary.  We celebrated by going to the Bar at Willett.  As a gesture of congratulations and goodwill, the folks at Willett gifted us pours from a 1979 bottle of Kentucky Vintage (the year we were married).  I have to confess this is a bottle I know nothing about and haven't tried to research as of yet.  I figured someone here might be able to tell me what it was.  The folks at Willett thought it was pretty special.  I have no idea if it is or not.  I can tell you it was very good bourbon, and even my wife enjoyed her pour (and she normally only enjoys bourbon as part of a mixed drink).  We certainly appreciated the gesture.  Here is a photo:

IMG_4509.jpg

• I like it 4

Congrats on 44 years to you and your wife!
I am not familiar with the 1979 vintage but have seen their current vintage in stores.  My understanding is that it is a decent entry level Willet.  I believe current bottles go for about $30.

3 minutes ago, markandrex said:

Congrats on 44 years to you and your wife!
I am not familiar with the 1979 vintage but have seen their current vintage in stores.  My understanding is that it is a decent entry level Willet.  I believe current bottles go for about $30.

Having now researched a little bit, this was bottled in 2003, making it 24 years old!!  I guess that does make it a bit special.  I understand also that now Willett does sell "Kentucky Vintage" in the $30-40 price range.  I have to believe the 1979 bottle is from a different tier of offerings.  Regardless, darn good.

• I like it 1

First let me also congratulate you and your bride on 44-years of wedded bliss!   An accomplishment that I'd say is pretty rare these days.   Good for you both!

As to the possibility that the Bourbon in that bottle is/was 23-years old, I'd say; Maybe.   I certainly could be.   It could also have been "tanked" for 8-or-10-years, or whatever.   Very good Bourbon that any distillery wants to keep from over-aging can be 'tanked' to stop the aging at just the right point, then bottled at any future point.   Not saying that happened to this bottle; but, it could have.    Willett has had it's hands on some pretty special barrels over the years, and it isn't hard to imagine some of them were tanked to keep 'em from getting too oaky before they were bottled and sold.    In any case, it seems the distillate was well-enjoyed by you and that lady of yours.   That's the main thing.

• I like it 3