recent overpays 2023

steven s

I posted this on 7/20/21:

Hi all. I thought I would start this thread as I recently tried 2 new (to me) bottles that I thought were not worth the price paid. 

1- CEHT rye. $65. nice spicy palate, but the finish was not there for me. IMO, not worth the $65 I paid, and I usually see it for $85.

2- OF statesman. $55. I was excited for this one, as i enjoy 1920 and OF100. The statesman had too much of the BF banana for my liking. Not bad, just not

worth the $55 for me.

Luckily, I have not felt the need to post in this thread since.

until now.

This thread is not meant to throw shade at any particular distillery or bottle, just to pass along my experiences and opinions, and hopefully have other do the same. 

I have been looking for a Magnus Cigar Blend for a while with no luck.

As a consolation, I recently bought a Magnus Murray Hill Club, as I was intrigued by the blend of 18 and 11 year old bourbons with 9 year old light whiskey, even if no proportions were disclosed.

It's not bad, actually enjoyable, but not nearly worth the $100 I paid for it, especially considering all the great options out there for half that price. Love to hear what others think of this bottle. Mine is a batch from 2022, but I'm too lazy to go upstairs to look at the actual batch # right now.

I'll still buy a cigar blend one day when I have the opportunity...

• I like it 2

11 hours ago, steven s said:

1- CEHT rye. $65. nice spicy palate, but the finish was not there for me. IMO, not worth the $65 I paid, and I usually see it for $85.

I have to agree with you on this one.  I paid $65 for one about five years ago and was very unimpressed.  It was decent but really worth only about half the price, IMO.  Interestingly, I haven't seen one on the shelf since so a lot of people must like it. 

On 9/20/2023 at 12:32 PM, fosmith said:

I have to agree with you on this one.  I paid $65 for one about five years ago and was very unimpressed.  It was decent but really worth only about half the price, IMO.  Interestingly, I haven't seen one on the shelf since so a lot of people must like it. 

I've had probably 8 to 10 of these over the years and they are very hit or miss. So while it doesn't surprise me that you could try one and be underwhelmed, I have also had ones that were really good. I don't know how many batches of this they do a year and have no idea which batches or years were the good versus the blah. The current MSRP is $70, but it was $60 when I was still able to find them in my Commonwealth. The good ones were a good value at $60, the bad ones a significant overpay. I'd say Taylor single barrel suffers from the same issue. Taylor small batch does not and is consistently good. It's also the cheapest!

Just now, flahute said:

😂

Everyone in this forum has overpaid at some point in time.  But, Cheap Bastard has a reputation to uphold.  😉

• I like it 2

17 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

As a Cheap Bastard, this thread is confusing to me.  😜

Same.

Every purchase made over $10.00 without 3 competitive bids is tough for me!

The EC Ryder Cup is on probation. Paid $100 with no intention of drinking it.

If it trades for 2 OWA, as seems likely, victory.

If not...such are the periodic wages of speculation.