SB vs BS...

bayouredd

Being a computer guy in the business since the 70's, I have been on boards & chat rooms since they were bulletin & ICQ/Messaging chats. I have never stuck around very long because of all of the posturing BS. In fact, only twice has it happened that I stayed around for a measurable amount of time. A CZ Forum & good ol' SB. Both of these have genuinely great, helpful people.

Case in point, I was able to spend some time, this past weekend with both Mr. & Mrs. Anwalt, not to mention, their Baby Girl Anwalt. All were bright & charming with a great sense of humor. He!!, even My Wife enjoyed herself & believe me, she is a hard sell, especially when I'm the one that's setting something up.😉

We chatted over cocktails like we were old friends. The only downside was that we were on a limited schedule as they had a flight to catch...

Also I would be remiss not to mention Anwalt helping me restock my bunker...

Ain't that purdy...

20231012_145828.jpg.a103a86ab96e9635c3da2ce89037b724.jpg

Thanx Anwalt & his beautiful Family!!!

• I like it 17

10 minutes ago, PaulO said:

A CZ forum - are you talking about the brand of firearms.

Yep. Been on several firearm forums and believe me, there are plenty of horses a$$es to go around, but the CZ forum that I speak of are live and let live types and quite helpful. If you want a link I can get it for you...

• I like it 2

Yes, I think that would be very interesting.

Growing up, my dad worked in the small arms department at CRANE (later transferred to another department).  I read every gun magazine or book I could get my hands on.  😃 

Excellent post - thanks for sharing this.

Like you I've also stayed long term at two forums. This one and one devoted to discussing Redline Hot Wheels - the original Hot Wheels from 1967 - 1972.

The original owner sold it to very competent owner and everything was great until he sold it to an incompetent owner who ran it into the ground. If not for that I'd still be participating on that one too.

• I like it 1

On 10/16/2023 at 4:59 PM, bayouredd said:

In fact, only twice has it happened that I stayed around for a measurable amount of time.

I feel ya. The BS has gotten worse, all around. Sad. But not here.

The feeling is completely mutual. Our stay was brief but very pleasant. Good conversation, no talking over people or being talked over...civilization & fun, all in one. From what I remember - I get tipsy fast and those Old Fashioned's hit me in short order! But that's breakfast for you.  My wife and daughter were pleasantly surprised. They usually avoid "bourbon people meetings" because they are into wine. They enjoyed the conversation and cocktails that we "forced" upon them.

PS: BRedd, did you like them more with rye or bourbon?

Bayouredd was kind enough to pick up some bottles a local Fed Ex pilot friend had flown in. My friend texted me and asked if I knew BR. I told him "We met on the internet! But in a place where people do get to know one another, no worries". And that's the way it is. Lotta darned good people here.

See ya next time we are in the panhandle!

SB vs BS? B…b…b…but don’t they go hand in hand?  🤔  😁  😉

IMG_2844.thumb.jpeg.ecdfd24a88f46d7e38e7fcdfec23a20f.jpeg

• I like it 7

3 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

SB vs BS? B…b…b…but don’t they go hand in hand?  🤔  😁  😉

IMG_2844.thumb.jpeg.ecdfd24a88f46d7e38e7fcdfec23a20f.jpeg

Well there's good BS & bad BS or maybe I meant horse sh!+.

We can all agree on one thing, at least. Sh!+ is the most important curse word out there, because there is bull, horse, chicken & dog sh!+ to name a few. And more importantly, they all mean something different.

Damn, I think I need a shower!!! 🤪

• I like it 2

1 minute ago, bayouredd said:

We can all agree on one thing, at least. Sh!+ is the most important curse word out there, because there is bull, horse, chicken & dog sh!+ to name a few. And more importantly, they all mean something different.

My dear, sweet Grandma of Irish extraction (and with a corresponding vocabulary, bless her great, big heart) loved to say "There ain't no shit worse than ape shit".

I remember and heed Grandma's profane but wise words.

• I like it 1

9 hours ago, Anwalt said:

I feel ya. The BS has gotten worse, all around. Sad. But not here.

The feeling is completely mutual. Our stay was brief but very pleasant. Good conversation, no talking over people or being talked over...civilization & fun, all in one. From what I remember - I get tipsy fast and those Old Fashioned's hit me in short order! But that's breakfast for you.  My wife and daughter were pleasantly surprised. They usually avoid "bourbon people meetings" because they are into wine. They enjoyed the conversation and cocktails that we "forced" upon them.

PS: BRedd, did you like them more with rye or bourbon?

Bayouredd was kind enough to pick up some bottles a local Fed Ex pilot friend had flown in. My friend texted me and asked if I knew BR. I told him "We met on the internet! But in a place where people do get to know one another, no worries". And that's the way it is. Lotta darned good people here.

See ya next time we are in the panhandle!

A nice time all around!

As far as the Old Fashioned, I have tried theirs with a half dozen different bourbons and found OF to top all others there. As far as the rye goes, I think I would be interested in a more spicy rye like a Rittenhouse or Sagamore. Definitely worth a repeat performance.

As far as grabbing the bottles, not even worth a mention. More than happy to do this as needed...

Ape Shit!!!

And there you have it. Another meaning altogether & yet so profound...

Hehehe - too funny...

Edited by bayouredd
  • I like it 2

17 minutes ago, bayouredd said:

Fuck is the most important curse word.  🤣

https://somanymeanings.ytmnd.com

• I like it 4

14 minutes ago, bayouredd said:

There are many uses.  You can be THE (good),  a piece of (bad), you can give a (good), or take a (bad..or is it good?!)

• I like it 2

On 10/16/2023 at 1:59 PM, bayouredd said:

Being a computer guy in the business since the 70's, I have been on boards & chat rooms since they were bulletin & ICQ/Messaging chats. I have never stuck around very long because of all of the posturing BS. In fact, only twice has it happened that I stayed around for a measurable amount of time. A CZ Forum & good ol' SB. Both of these have genuinely great, helpful people.

I've had the same experience.  Spent time on a LOT of forums and only found one or two that felt like family.  This group is one.  

• I like it 3

Same here about websites. When I was got in to bourbon, I found and joined three bourbon websites.  I felt more comfortable here, and the rest as they say, is history. 😎

Another thing about BS-SB. There is a camaraderie here that reminds me of relationships that I have with fellow veterans at my American Legion post. Us veterans of different military services can joke, argue and make fun of each other with good natured name calling and such. Y’all probably know the deal. BUT, if an outsider says something questionable to or about a veteran or member of the military, all differences are set aside. It’s all for one and one for all, and Katy bar the door.

I’ve actually seen something like that happen here at least once. It was at the KBF one time many years ago. I can’t remember the exact circumstances, but an interloper made a comment or said something, and appeared to be heading out of the gazebo to possibly go after somebody. I was right at the entrance and along with another member, we cut him off from leaving. I told him to take it easy or something. I think he was getting read to shove me out of the way or something, then I saw his eyes look at the person next to me and then behind us. I looked behind me, and there was a wall of SBers. BigRich may have been the anchor in the middle of the wall. Nuff Ced. The guy cooled his heels and left. Satisfying looks and grins were exchanged, and we continued our drinking…… and lying, and bsing, and……….😎 “Know what I mean Vern?” 😉 Cheers to one and all!

• I like it 5

There was a knife collector forum I belonged to that was like this.  When Hurricane Katrina hit in 2005, we (in California) could not locate or contact my elderly grandmother in Jackson, Mississippi.  My dad tried calling every friend, relative, and neighbor he could with no success.  I posted about it in a discussion on this knife forum and some random member I didn't know posted, "I'm not far from there.  What's her address?  I'll see what I can do."

He made his way to her house, found it empty, and went door to door til he found a neighbor who knew that her housekeeper had taken her home with her, and got the housekeeper's phone mumber.  I don't doubt that a SB member would do something similar for another member in need.  Cuz this place feels like family.

• I like it 5

These previous vignettes show the very best side of tribalism.   I have to agree that StraightBourbon.com is one of the most accepting and loyal tribes I've been associated with.   😊

Long Live 'The Boss'!!!!   Thanx for this playground, Jim.  :wub:😉🤗

• I like it 8

My ten year anniversary of joining SB is coming up at the New Year.  The only other things I've stuck with for ten years are my wife and a few generations of cats.  Looking back, I cannot believe you all have tolerated me for this long, and I'm talking cats and wife AND SBers.   Of course I'd never tell my wife or the cats that.

Thanks, you all.

• I like it 11

I don't post that often, but what strikes me so positively about this forum is there is great knowledge but very little arrogance.

• I like it 6

40 minutes ago, Old Hippie said:

I don't post that often, but what strikes me so positively about this forum is there is great knowledge but very little arrogance.

Thanks @Old Hippie. I took a shower and put deodorant and cologne on. 😊

• I like it 5

9 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Thanks @Old Hippie. I took a shower and put deodorant and cologne on. 😊

download.jpg

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 5