Dickel 17 year 2023

B.B. Babington

This is one to put on radar in spite of high price point.  It's very tasty.  Like Dickel BIB #3 but on steroids.  Though Dickel BIB is strong flavor, it pales in comparison to 17 year.  Strong in your face flavor, long after taste.  Though it's only 92 proof at cask strength, that is not unusual for Dickel.  Dickel exits cask at lower proof, and at 17 year angels have stolen a lot.  If you've ever used the term "over oaked" despairingly, then skip this one. I'll probably get another even though it retails $250 here.

If money not much of issue, it's definitely one to consider.

I've been on hiatus for while, but had to jump in to let my buds know that this is one to consider.

• I like it 3

Nice to see you back.

That's a fun thing about SB.com - I find out about all kinds of esoteric bottles I'm unlikely to ever see in person.  It's still interesting.  🤔

17 hours ago, B.B. Babington said:

This is one to put on radar in spite of high price point.  It's very tasty.  Like Dickel BIB #3 but on steroids.  Though Dickel BIB is strong flavor, it pales in comparison to 17 year.  Strong in your face flavor, long after taste.  Though it's only 92 proof at cask strength, that is not unusual for Dickel.  Dickel exits cask at lower proof, and at 17 year angels have stolen a lot.  If you've ever used the term "over oaked" despairingly, then skip this one. I'll probably get another even though it retails $250 here.

I've been on hiatus for while, but had to jump in to let my buds know that this is one to consider.

How does this release compare to the Dickel 15 yr Single Barrels?  Your description sounds just like the ones I've had.  But they were only $55.  I wonder what makes this so much more expensive. 

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, fosmith said:

How does this release compare to the Dickel 15 yr Single Barrels?  Your description sounds just like the ones I've had.  But they were only $55.  I wonder what makes this so much more expensive. 

Way way way better than the dickel 15.  I'm unimpressed with dickel 15 and feel the blue label bottle-in-bond (13 yr usually) better than 15.  I've got maybe dozen of the 15's.  One is absolutely incredible; I'd put it side by side with any $1000 bottle.  Rest are meh except for 2 which are hot and not good.  Of the blue label bottle-in-bonds, this 17 most closely resembles #3 13 year but much stronger flavor.  This 17 is truly exceptional, if you like strong and wood.

• I like it 2

19 hours ago, B.B. Babington said:

Glad you are back!

• I like it 1

• 1 month later...

I like pretty much all Dickel, which i realize isnt cool to say on the internet but oh well, I have a 17yr unopened.  I have a friend in the industry who drank a bottle of 17, and said it was a visceral experience, that he hadnt had with a whiskey in a long time.  since i trust this friend, i purchased it for 300$ shipped.   Ive had quite a few Dickel 15year and obviously the higher proofed bottlings are the best, but i think Dickel batch 1 BiB is probably the best of the brand.   the copper tongue, orphan barrel, is also a unique and delicious pour.   that said the new 18year is priced prohibitively and although it seems a different beast than the 17, i cant justify the near doubling in price from the 17....

I wonder if Dickel has released a recent version of the blue label BiB?  I remember the first release in 2019 at 13 yr, the 11 yr in 2020, and then another 13yr in 2021.  I lost track after that.

4 hours ago, MadGoodPour said:

I like pretty much all Dickel, which i realize isnt cool to say on the internet but oh well,.......

You are in good company here so no shame!

• I like it 2