Confusion on Willett faimly estate label

Mike Moschak

so I picked up a purple top willett the other day and the label says it's a 10 yr , barrel # 2067.  When I look at the willett barrel decoder info it shows that barrel # 2067 is a 14yr ?   I'm confused, anyone have a idea here, thanks!

There are often duplicate bottles with the same barrel number. If you have additional information about the bottle you have (proof, bottle count, name, etc.). Please post it and it will get added to the 'decoder'

Roy is correct. They do repeat barrel numbers. The 14yr is likely from a long ways back.

I've never seen a barrel number with more than 4 digits so I guess they just run out and need to start over.

On 10/25/2023 at 6:03 PM, smokinjoe said:

They are that sloppy? 

That’s what she said. 🤣

• I like it 1

I imagine, if you contact Willett, they will be happy to help you understand your bottle, if you give 'em particulars.   ???

1 hour ago, Richnimrod said:

I imagine, if you contact Willett, they will be happy to help you understand your bottle, if you give 'em particulars.   ???

Yeah, and be sure to ask who distilled it.  🤣

• I like it 3

5 hours ago, PaulO said:

Yeah, and be sure to ask who distilled it.  🤣

As much as you might not believe it, the majority of what they release now is distilled by them including the bottle in the possession of the OP.

I guess time really flies.  I hadn't been keeping track that they have their own make 10 years old by now.  I was aware that at some point, Willett had switched over.

1 hour ago, PaulO said:

I guess time really flies.  I hadn't been keeping track that they have their own make 10 years old by now.  I was aware that at some point, Willett had switched over.

Based on when the  three then four year releases of their own rye distillate first appeared.. i would have thought we’d be around 7-8 yrs right now.  But im certain flahutes info is accurate. 

Back in July I picked 2 barrels of Willett distilled 10yr old rye with my group and they were very good. I've also tasted their 10yr bourbon. It seems that more age mitigates the red hot cinnamon note that is common in the younger stuff. There was none of it in the rye. 

• I like it 2

Willett-distilled rye is excellent IMO,  their bourbon has usually struck me as meh.