Wild Turkey Generations - Campari jumping the shark - pricing at $450.00

Kepler

Yeah.  And to clarify my stance, I'm not complaining about $50 for a special 375ml or $100-200 for a great 750ml. 

I'm complaining about $450.

Yes I admit I'm a true hypocrite:  because I did bite the bullet for the new RR Single Rickhouse CNF at an astonishing $300!  But this CNF is truly an epic pour.  But the Generations at $450 is more than a third higher than even that.  Where does it end.

This conversation brings back memories of the only time I was ever so truly upset at a price point on a new item that I vented consistently, and swore I would never purchase the bottle in question…and swore off the distillery entirely.  2005 and Wild Turkey Tribute.  OUTRAGEOUS!!!, I said.  $100!?!?!?!  Never!!  Even, if it is honoring a legend, Jimmy Russell.  

Well, tried it…and promptly bought 10 over the next year, or so, and multiple WTs of various labels, and 2 barrels of WTRR Single barrels thereafter…🤣🤣🤣

• I like it 4

5 hours ago, Kepler said:

Where does it end.

It ends when people stop paying the price. Simple as that.

Even when very few will pay such prices, it'll still be a money maker for Campari.   Much like the little kid with the $10/glass lemonade stand.   Don't need to sell many to get into the black.

• I like it 1

I'm sure someone here knows the answer.  I bet the total number of these to be quite small.

All the main distillers offer ultra premium brands.  Something like WT Generations should be no surprise.  I'll be happy to read the review here after one of us gets to try it.

1 hour ago, PaulO said:

I'm sure someone here knows the answer.  I bet the total number of these to be quite small.

All the main distillers offer ultra premium brands.  Something like WT Generations should be no surprise.  I'll be happy to read the review here after one of us gets to try it.

According to Rarebird101, 5000 bottles.

• I like it 1

On 11/21/2023 at 9:12 PM, flahute said:

It ends when people stop paying the price. Simple as that.

Well sure, but that's sort of a "Captain Obvious" moment, no? 😜

The real question is, at what price will people stop paying?

Edited by Kepler
spelling

On 11/21/2023 at 5:17 PM, smokinjoe said:

This conversation brings back memories of the only time I was ever so truly upset at a price point on a new item that I vented consistently, and swore I would never purchase the bottle in question…and swore off the distillery entirely.  2005 and Wild Turkey Tribute.  OUTRAGEOUS!!!, I said.  $100!?!?!?!  Never!!  Even, if it is honoring a legend, Jimmy Russell.  

Well, tried it…and promptly bought 10 over the next year, or so, and multiple WTs of various labels, and 2 barrels of WTRR Single barrels thereafter…🤣🤣🤣

Yeah but was $100 in 2005 the same as $450 in 2023?  We'd have to check the inflation numbers I guess...

On 11/22/2023 at 11:19 PM, Kepler said:

Yeah but was $100 in 2005 the same as $450 in 2023?  We'd have to check the inflation numbers I guess...

This. Not sure how people have cash to burn with price hikes like this. I don’t see the bubble “bursting” in the next 5 years.

On 11/22/2023 at 11:19 PM, Kepler said:

Probably not, but that is not my point.  It was the idea of the huge price, when at that time, BTACs, Pappy’s, etc, were barely clearing $35.  So, I get the push back.  Not comparing 2005 dollars to 2023 dollars.  I understand that the Generations is a “special” release, and WT is certainly pushing the price envelope.  Many (including me) will be out.  Some, will go in.  That is OK all around.   Not everything release is meant for everybody.  

• I like it 5

I believe Adam Smith would say something to the effect - if enough people are buying it, the price isn't too high.  🤔

I understand the sticker shock in the flock too.  😬  But that's how it goes with perceived luxury goods.

• I like it 3

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve seen special releases from Old Forester ($2500) and Joseph Magnus ($1000) recently.  I guess the mood is pervasive.  All have sold out.

On 11/14/2023 at 11:31 AM, markandrex said:

I bought a $10 ticket today at a local LS.  They are getting one bottle in and are raffling it off.  200 tickets are going into the bowl.  Drawing is on 12/31/23.  For $10, I will roll the dice.

I stoped by this LS today and all 200 tickets are sold.  They are moving up the drawing to this Friday.  🙏🏻

On 11/6/2023 at 6:30 PM, PaulO said:

[B]Legacy distillers - release all the overpriced limited stuff you can sell, just don't let it interfere with the flagship brands.[/b]

This... 

Aim high for the idiots.  Leave me and the standard offerings alone.  

• I like it 2

On 12/8/2023 at 1:29 PM, markandrex said:

The bourbon Gods have smiled on me today.  Long live The Flock!

image1.jpeg

image0.jpeg

Congrats and enjoy it!!  I'm sure its a quality product and tastes great even though we all like complaining about the price.

• I like it 1

7 minutes ago, meadeweber said:

Congrats and enjoy it!!  I'm sure its a quality product and tastes great even though we all like complaining about the price.

I am waiting for my son to come home for Christmas to open.  I was excited that a $10 ticket turned into this.  I had passed on three “offers”-to-purchase for $475 + shipping.

• I like it 2

15 hours ago, markandrex said:

I am waiting for my son to come home for Christmas to open.  I was excited that a $10 ticket turned into this.  I had passed on three “offers”-to-purchase for $475 + shipping.

Got it for purchasing a $10 raffle ticket, opening on Christmas with son - I call post of the year.  I'm glad you won it not someone else.

👏 👏 👏

• I like it 2

On 12/8/2023 at 1:29 PM, markandrex said:

The bourbon Gods have smiled on me today.  Long live The Flock!

image1.jpeg

image0.jpeg

....and in a 750ml bottle to boot!  Nice!

On 12/11/2023 at 12:33 PM, markandrex said:

I'd venture to guess not many of these will ever be opened...good for you when you do, I hope you and your son enjoy it!

The WT-G was a gift from a neighbor that I helped out a few months ago.  I almost feel guilty for having two.  Nah!

image0.jpeg

• I like it 6

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/22/2023 at 2:13 PM, markandrex said:

The WT-G was a gift from a neighbor that I helped out a few months ago.  I almost feel guilty for having two.  Nah!

image0.jpeg

That's the kinda help that suggests you either did something to keep your neighbor out of jail or did something that could land you in jail! 😁

• I like it 1

26 minutes ago, stevegoz said:

That's the kinda help that suggests you either did something to keep your neighbor out of jail or did something that could land you in jail! 😁

🙈🙉🙊

I actually showed him and his wife (new neighbors) how to open/close their pool.  They had paid $600 to open and had a quote for the same to close.  We did it for about $30 in rv winterizer and an hours time.  They are a young couple with two little girls and had no idea how easy it is.  I just hate seeing people being taken advantage of.  

Edited by markandrex
  • I like it 7