Old Forester - 1960's bottle

CP4

Was at my grandma's and found this in her bar area. Any chance someone knows any info it? My best guess is it's from the 1960's. 

Thanks,

CP

PXL_20221204_175752176.jpg

• I like it 2

That's a really cool bottle.

I see the tax label says "1/5 gallon".  That puts the age at least as far back as before liquor bottles switched over to metric, and when those sorts of tax stamps were used.

Your guess of 1960s seems about right to me.

You could look at the bottom of the bottle to see if there are any numbers.  Sometimes the last two numbers of the year are there.  

• I like it 1

That is a pretty bottle (decanter).   I can't read the label; but, if it's the standard iteration of Old Forester, 86-proof I'm guessing (+- 6-years old; but, possibly containing rather older distillate) it will be a very nice pour indeed.   

I'm sure someone on this board has more info.

Thanks! The serial number on the label is 660986. It says 86 proof on the bottle - thinking that is what the 86 refers to. 6609 is then maybe September of 1966.

I'm up there in mid December. Can take a closer look then. Will be bringing it home as well at that time. Will give it a try to see how it tastes.

• I like it 4

2 minutes ago, Old Hippie said:

I believe it is a 1963 Bottled in Bond

Definitely not bottled in bond. It says 86 proof on the bottle. Thanks for taking a look though!

On 11/20/2023 at 12:16 AM, PaulO said:

That's a really cool bottle.

I see the tax label says "1/5 gallon".  That puts the age at least as far back as before liquor bottles switched over to metric, and when those sorts of tax stamps were used.

Your guess of 1960s seems about right to me.

You could look at the bottom of the bottle to see if there are any numbers.  Sometimes the last two numbers of the year are there.  

It also states the tax is on "intoxicating liquors."  Is there any other kind? 😀

I noticed a older bottle of brandy in a cool bottle.  If that bottle wasn't clear, I would have guessed Jeannie lived in it. 😀

Edited by mbroo5880i

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/19/2023 at 8:16 PM, CP4 said:

Was at my grandma's and found this in her bar area. Any chance someone knows any info it? My best guess is it's from the 1960's. 

Thanks,

CP

PXL_20221204_175752176.jpg

Nice!