What 3 bottles did you enjoy the most in 2023?

Jazzhead

Simple question here, good folks:    What three bottles of bourbon or rye did you enjoy most this year?    Define the question any way you like.

My choices:

1.   Remus Repeal Reserve Series VII.    The best bourbon I tasted this year -  rich, complex and classic.    I've heard raves about the ultra-aged Gatsby release, but this one, at a decade or so, is blended and aged to perfection and costs a Benjamin-and-a-half  less.

2.   Sagamore Rye Select (6 years old).    I continue to be amazed at how good Sagamore's blend of high rye (95/5) and Kentucky-style rye tastes.   The balance from beginning to end is superb, and the flavor is pure luxury.    I have a bottle of this blend aged 8 full years,  but haven't opened it yet.  Something to look forward to!

3.  Old Forester Statesman.    I was down on Stateman for a year or two, but bought a bottle again earlier this year and the old vanilla bomb was back.    That bottle met its demise so quickly I had to buy another and it was just as good.   In a side by side, it blew the OF 1897 out of the water.   

Honorable mention to the Bookers "Mighty Fine Batch" that I opened over the weekend.   Far richer and more interesting than the Kentucky Tea batch that it replaced on the bar.   

Edited by Jazzhead
  • I like it 3

1. RR13. I bought it to celebrate a new job back in July. As a turkey fan this just sings to me in so many ways. It's magnificent.

2. OF1910. When I want something rich with a low(relative) proof, this hits the spot. I've also enjoyed WRDO a lot.

3.  MM. Yup, just regular ol' 90 proof Makers. It's basic and not special, but it's become a go-to daily pour. It's also fantastic with a few drops of Woodford chocolate bitters and a couple Luxardo cherries. 

• I like it 4

I'm going with what I LOVED the most, NOT what I drank most frequently. 

RR13

WFP/W12 blend

JDSBBP rye

honorable mentions:

MM cellar aged

Stagg/ER blend

• I like it 1

So I enjoyed so many bottles this year. But top 3 are hard. 

Easy 1st. Maryland heritage series sherbrook sib. (I haven't  opened mine yet but a local bar has one open at a very reasonable price, so I've been drinking  theirs first.)

2nd I had a night hanging with a buddy of mine and we put a dent in his jack rose Willett rye pick "eau de vie" I was too slow to get my own. But his was superb.

3rd early in the year I opened and basically finished a lock stock and barrel 13 year. It's easily  one of my favorite bottles and I'm glad I bunkered so many. Down to a few left but it's always a special time when I get to enjoy one with friends.

• I like it 2

RR13 - Really impressed me.

JDSIBBP Rye - On my second bottle already.

Asbach 21 Brandy - The bottle was emptied way too fast.  Must purchase another.

• I like it 2

Top three for me, subject to change at any moment, and in no particular order.

ECBP 923 I'm still warming up to it, but it's fantastic.

Prideful Goat 6yr BP bourbon This one simply hit all the points for me. It was probably the bottle that was emptied the fastest this year. Too, bad I can't find it in a 200 mile radius. 

Knob Creek 12 I always know what I'm gettin' and the gettin' is always good. It's become a regular shelfer just north of the state line.

• I like it 2

RR13.  Always a Winner.

ECBP.

I thought the 2023 batches were all very well done and delicious.

Four Roses.  All of it.

• I like it 5

VOB 100 which is not regularly sold here - the 750 lasted a week.

HH BIB 6YR which is rarer here than the VOB - managed to nurse it for two weeks.

GTS 2014 release - opened for sharing.  I still have some.

I was going to mention the basic BT handle which I purchased at MSRP.  It lasted a week, too.  Indeed, I just did mention it.  I opened and finished it after the  VOB and along side the HH.  That was some month.

• I like it 3

57 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

VOB 100 which is not regularly sold here - the 750 lasted a week.

HH BIB 6YR which is rarer here than the VOB - managed to nurse it for two weeks.

GTS 2014 release - opened for sharing.  I still have some.

I was going to mention the basic BT handle which I purchased at MSRP.  It lasted a week, too.  Indeed, I just did mention it.  I opened and finished it after the  VOB and along side the HH.  That was some month.

I'd never seen the HH BIB 6yr until a few weeks ago.    As one who loves this age point,  I think it's top notch.   If this is going to become available in the Philly area,  it will join my regular rotation.   

3 hours ago, Jazzhead said:

I'd never seen the HH BIB 6yr until a few weeks ago.    As one who loves this age point,  I think it's top notch.   If this is going to become available in the Philly area,  it will join my regular rotation.   

One of the purveyors in WashDC that is near some of the large int'l hotels, does a substantial business supplying embassies with stuff.  The prices for common stuff is MSRP, but the prices for hard-to-find-stuff can be astronomical - BUT!! they usually have that rare stuff.  I get their monthly emails, and maybe twice a year, I go nuts and order home delivery (with generous tip OF COURSE!) of marked-up-rarities-close to MSRP of stuff readily available in other markets but not available here.  VOB 100 and HH 6 BIB are two of such.  I have absolutely no connection with them other than as a customer, but they do ship to states that allow it.  Let me know if you'd like more info.  IIRC, the HH 6 goes for $99 which is high unless one is driving through KY which I don't do.   Hence, the local purchase at the mark-up is a deal for me.

2 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

One of the purveyors in WashDC that is near some of the large int'l hotels, does a substantial business supplying embassies with stuff.  The prices for common stuff is MSRP, but the prices for hard-to-find-stuff can be astronomical - BUT!! they usually have that rare stuff.  I get their monthly emails, and maybe twice a year, I go nuts and order home delivery (with generous tip OF COURSE!) of marked-up-rarities-close to MSRP of stuff readily available in other markets but not available here.  VOB 100 and HH 6 BIB are two of such.  I have absolutely no connection with them other than as a customer, but they do ship to states that allow it.  Let me know if you'd like more info.  IIRC, the HH 6 goes for $99 which is high unless one is driving through KY which I don't do.   Hence, the local purchase at the mark-up is a deal for me.

We're lousy with VOB 100 around here. It goes for anywhere from $13 to $20

I'll restrict mine to new or recent releases and no older stuff that is not around anymore.

1. RR single rickhouse CNF

2. RR13

3. Glenmo Signet that I just opened recently.

• I like it 2

In no particular order: JW Dant, Old Forester Rye, WT 101.

I also have to mention Four Roses and Maker's Mark.

• I like it 2

Definetely ECBP 923, wish I could get more! Makers BEP,  1792 SiB. There are many more but those really stand out. 

• I like it 1

56 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Comfortability or bourbon zen? 🤷🏻‍♂️

855muq.jpeg.14380d784fe33fc616b9eb7271222d29.jpeg
ezgif-1-6fbe2e30e4.gif.0d84d877674afa695f47627055ad3126.gif

IMG_4825.gif.11104d30f6d1472c178faf153714cc89.gif

Holy shit Joe!! I thought you were the Weller Whore??

Prost!!  Phil 

• I like it 4

1.  The return of FR single barrel store picks - I enjoyed several of them

2. Barrell Bourbon Grey 15 (on sale)

3.  Islay scotches - really did a deep dive this year

Honorable mention - the return of numerous core line up bottles from a variety of distillers to store shelves (although at higher prices), both domestic and foreign, that disappeared from the shelves over the past 3-4 years.

• I like it 1

KC 18, 23

Old Fitz 19, 22

ER 17, 22

All outstanding to me.   Only have KC 18 backed up.  Will be sad to see the other two go when they do…

• I like it 3

On 12/1/2023 at 5:43 PM, Harry in WashDC said:

Thanks,  but I don't think they can ship to Pennsylvania.  It 's a state monopoly here,  with a few exceptions for PA craft distlillers that are allowed to ship direct. 

When I'm in the DC area I stay in Kensington,  MD  and like the selection (and especially the prices) of the stores in Montgomery County.    But when I'm traveling to Kensington (where my sister lives),  the places I bring my pennies (bagfuls and bagfuls) are the three great stores in Elkton, MD,  right on the Delaware line.     That's bourbon Mecca to me.   

5 hours ago, Phil T said:

Holy shit Joe!! I thought you were the Weller Whore??

Prost!!  Phil 

Well Phil, I’m still a Weller Whore. It’s just the “action” ain’t what it used to be. 😉 I will say that at least Weller SR has started showing up a little more frequently. I’ve been able to add a few more bottles to my Weller cellar recently, albeit ER, Taylor and Blanton’s now share the cellar. My BT has its own shelf. 

DSC_0067.thumb.jpeg.d10e5f4ef309f9f025de16b6a538ee11.jpegIMG_4984.thumb.jpeg.b8082ada4a1a56220dc32b5fa7435b00.jpeg

• I like it 7

57 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Well Phil, I’m still a Weller Whore. It’s just the “action” ain’t what it used to be. 😉 I will say that at least Weller SR has started showing up a little more frequently. I’ve been able to add a few more bottles to my Weller cellar recently, albeit ER, Taylor and Blanton’s now share the cellar. My BT has its own shelf. 

Joe, you just need a weekend trip to Texas.  WSR is on the shelves here pretty much all the time at retail.  Now granted, OWA and W12 are very very different story...

• I like it 1

This is a mix of what individual bottles I enjoyed the most (1,2), and what I enjoyed drinking the most of (3).

1. John J. Bowman Single Barrel

2. Eagle Rare

3. JW Dant

• I like it 1

14 hours ago, Kepler said:

Joe, you just need a weekend trip to Texas.  WSR is on the shelves here pretty much all the time at retail.  Now granted, OWA and W12 are very very different story...

Years ago, one of the facilities in my region was in Arlington.  I walked into a LS one night and found an array of Weller.  After that, I started driving down for audits.  My boss never understood why but, he was not a bourbon drinker.  Amazing how much you can fit into a Suburban.

• I like it 3