What to Tell Younger ME?

elmossle

This may or may not have been posted before, but what would you like to go back and tell the younger you about bourbon or whiskey 10 to 15 years ago before the "boom" really gained traction? Obviously, we were all younger and at different stages in our respective lives, but what do you wish you knew then that you know now?

For me, two things come to mind and stand out.

First, there is so many good whiskeys out there! I don't think I was adventurous enough trying new brands or variations in my "early days" of bourbon. I would try new things here and there upon recommendation, but I rarely went outside of the brands or distilleries I knew I liked. Because of this, I feel I missed out on the early days of certain brands and good bourbon before they were gobbled up by tiger companies or their products became harder to find. Along these same line would be spending too much time chasing the LEs. While I was blessed to acquire some early on, I passed on items that were just as good, and sitting on the shelf right in front of my face the entire time.

Second, what a value we had sitting on shelves. It is easy to say because of inflation we are paying more now which is true. But I'm also talking more about what is in the bottle just as much as what we are paying for it. I think we can mostly agree that while we all expected prices to rise over the years like most products, we didn't expect them to take off for certain brands like they have. And if we were going to be required to pay more for what we like, great, but we would expect the quality to stay the same as well. Not that we are purchasing bad booze these days, but there are certain expressions that are not at the same quality they once were IMO. The Wellers are a prime example. When I open an older bottle in the bunker and compare it with a newer bottle, when I can find one, there is a distinct difference for me. The older version seem more robust and have more depth of flavor while the newer releases, while still good, seem to be thin and lacking the multitude of notes we once talked about. Not that I saying we should have been buying everything we drink now back then by the cases, but I wish I could go back and tell younger me how much the bourbon landscape will change.

So I ask you all, what would you like to go back and tell your younger self?

• I like it 5

Great thread!  I got into bourbon when I bought my house in 2013, and at that time it was easy to find good quality bourbon (and scotch)--at my local liquor stores in the Minneapolis area.  One of the managers loved scotch (specifically Springbank) and had pretty much all they had to offer, plus some of the older wood expression series.  At any rate, a friend got me a bottle of Bakers and another got me a bottle of Black Maple Hill (in the old brandy bottle), and I was off to the races.  Not to mention easy to find limited releases like Pappy, all of the Wild Turkey, but never Four Roses or BTAC, at least I couldn't find them readily.  So essentially I had all the choices, no raffles, or camping outside.  When I dive into a hobby, it's usually with both feet, so I built up a good collection of low shelters, mid and higher end stuff.  I bought as much as my budget would allow, but there are still some things I'd do differently.

I'm sure many of us remember buying ECBP in the old bottle for $49, or Henry McKenna BIB for $29, and on and on (some even remember buying Pappy 15 for $35!)

So that is a little bit of background, what I would have told myself then is:

• Buy multiple bottles of what you like (or a case)
    • I was lucky to find 3 bottles of PHC POH but should have bought more, same with Wild Turkey Decades when it was foundering on the shelf
    • Also, I lucked upon a case of Weller 12 .750s, and a 1.75 in ~2015, and gave away a few bottles to casual work friends, and I do regret not keeping them now
  • Perhaps don't be as generous with the limited edition stuff with VERY casual bourbon drinkers (I still remember I liberally poured PHC POH to a friend who then added a lot of ice...and slurped the whole thing down)
  • Take advantage of bourbon reselling (legally, if possible) for bourbons you've overbought, are uninterested in, and have accrued in value.
    • I have only recently begun to sell some of the Springbanks, Longrows, Stagg Jr., old ECBPs, etc., that I am uninterested in now (or would rather sell)
  • I'm not a big craft distillery person, so I regret buying some unproven craft bourbons, that I still haven't opened
  • It's ok to gift (or pour out) bourbon that you don't like (or better yet, make it into a batch cocktail for parties)
  • Just because many people say something is good, your palate is your best judge.  For example, I never really warmed up to Buffalo Trace, or Eagle Rare but still bought many bottles
  • If you like a store pick, buy as many as you can afford (see first bullet).  There are a few store picks that I regret only buying 1-2 bottles
  • It's a good thing to take a few days off per week, for the body, but also the palate.  There will always be another time and place to enjoy a good bourbon

I'll probably have more thoughts as times goes on, I'm excited to see others responses!

• I like it 4

I would tell my younger self - the people in your high school, teachers and students, are (mostly) a bunch of losers that don't know anything.  Go find yourself some new friends. 🤣

But since we're talking Bourbon, It sort of falls into two categories.  There is the stuff I'll call before my time.  I may have been 21 or more years old when some of it was still available.  I just hadn't started looking.  Then there was stuff I did see in person, passed, and later had remorse when the situation changed.

Before my time was: SW distilled Old Fitz and Weller, ND distilled Old Grandad, WT 12 year and other premium expressions, the original 107 proof ETL, no doubt others.

Stuff I saw in person: many Willett single barrels 10+ years barrel proof ~$35 (I didn't know what it was), full line of VW @ MSRP at the time, BTAC @ $69.99 on the shelf.

I was a regular customer for Weller Antique when it had the 7 year age statement and came in the anchor bottle.  It was the same price as regular Maker's Mark.  I would have liked to have bunkered some of those.  

• I like it 5

No matter how it seems tight now, Erin isn't the one.

Dont sell Apple in 1995, they are not going bankrupt.

Don't sell MSFT in 2000, because

"realistically how much higher can it go?" Is not a sound strategy.

Oh, and avoid that tequila phase.

Edited by Davesnothere
  • I like it 3

I remember mainly drinking Southern Comfort in the early/mid 90s, and never even giving bourbon a side-glance.  Ugh.

I'd tell myself to try that Old Grand Dad and Old Forrester, and explain the importance of UPCs for finding the 'better stuff' (because it isn't like either turned 'bad' when switching distilleries).  And even if I don't like it - I'd insist on buying it and saving it for 20 years.  Oh - and stop buying SoCo and quit that smoking nonsense sooner than later.  

• I like it 3

Clear the shelf on the Smooth Ambler Old Scout SiB, don't just buy 2.  The wife will get over it...

I think the old MGP is the main thing I'd tell myself to focus on.  There was some amazing bourbon that was sold at a discount, and it made a name for a lot of companies.  SA, Belle Meade, OKI, lots of stuff that I'd like to be deep on.

• I like it 5

The advice I'd give today to someone who's just starting out: explore your likes and dislikes, gain knowledge, make relationships, but bunker as best you can bottles you know are good, but you might not be ready to appreciate. - it'll pay off down the road. That's pretty much what I did.

And get a dog so you have someone to drink with.

• I like it 7

I was cleaning out one of my cabinets and ran across this....the good ole days when the LS manager would call me and tell me to come pick up my bottles. No work involved, just told him what I wanted and waited for the call. 

IMG_6294.jpeg

• I like it 7

Yep, I remember the largest liquor store in Bloomington (the building was originally an A&P grocery store) - they used to have basically all the unicorn bottles in the glass case @ MSRP.

It wasn't too appealing at the time because right next to that were all kinds of great bottles on the shelf for like $25 or less.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd tell myself that I should stop buying bottles once you hit about 100 and just replace them as they get killed off.   There really is a thing such as too much whiskey...

• I like it 2

24 minutes ago, ThirstyinOhio said:

I'd tell myself that I should stop buying bottles once you hit about 100 and just replace them as they get killed off.   There really is a thing such as too much whiskey...

🙈🙉🙊

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, ThirstyinOhio said:

So this morning's younger self????

• I like it 1