A Quick JD Christmas Stop

Davesnothere

JD is only about 40 miles from the house, so we often stop by to check in on the bottle shop.

Here are a few shots from  this past weekend. 

20231210_132657.thumb.jpg.0bef651e56d0c14145a055ce209d1719.jpg

• I like it 3

What other TN distilleries have you visited? I’m picking at JD next spring and looking at other places to visit.

On 12/11/2023 at 9:40 AM, Davesnothere said:

20231210_133011.thumb.jpg.8e254b4b8a1e8c7a6c6ae7a425762711.jpg

Are all the prices that high?  The standard 1L JD is ~ $32.00 around the Baltimore metro area.   I figured that it would be cheaper at the distillery.   Maybe it's like some of the KY distilleries, where you can get bottles cheaper at local grocery stores, than at the distilleries themselves...

One reason they do that is to not  undercurt their local retail sellers. But, the price does  inclued tax which can add up depending where you are located.

Also, in TN even JD has to ship to a distributor and buy it back for sale in the gift shop.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Davesnothere said:

One reason they do that is to not  undercurt their local retail sellers. But, the price does  inclued tax which can add up depending where you are located.

Also, in TN even JD has to ship to a distributor and buy it back for sale in the gift shop.

I’m skeptical on the shipping out and shipping back part of the distributor/JD transaction.  Most of these things are paper movements (from what I’ve heard…😊), where the the financial transaction is handled without any movement of product.  But as we know, individual state booze laws can vary significantly!  🤪. So, I’m not betting my ranch on the accuracy of my statements…🤣🤣

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I’m skeptical on the shipping out and shipping back part of the distributor/JD transaction.  Most of these things are paper movements (from what I’ve heard…😊), where the the financial transaction is handled without any movement of product.  But as we know, individual state booze laws can vary significantly!  🤪. So, I’m not betting my ranch on the accuracy of my statements…🤣🤣

I don't know first hand, I'm only going by what a couple of employees told me. I did ask if it was just a paper work shuffle but they said it was an actual  physical transaction. Ship from Lynchburg to Nashville, and then ship from Nashville back to Lynchburg. Doesn't make sense to me but like you said liquor laws don't make sense.

I've talked to several local stores in Alabama about how they do their store pick barrels. They said they can never count on how long the state is going to hold it even after they've paid for it. Because the state wants a physical transaction from the distiller to the state then to the store. They won't let the distiller ship straight to the store and just do a paperwork transaction with the state.

I suspect that's an opportunity for a couple of cases to fall off the back of the truck.

Edited by Davesnothere

11 hours ago, Davesnothere said:

I don't know first hand, I'm only going by what a couple of employees told me. I did ask if it was just a paper work shuffle but they said it was an actual  physical transaction. Ship from Lynchburg to Nashville, and then ship from Nashville back to Lynchburg. Doesn't make sense to me but like you said liquor laws don't make sense.

I've talked to several local stores in Alabama about how they do their store pick barrels. They said they can never count on how long the state is going to hold it even after they've paid for it. Because the state wants a physical transaction from the distiller to the state then to the store. They won't let the distiller ship straight to the store and just do a paperwork transaction with the state.

I suspect that's an opportunity for a couple of cases to fall off the back of the truck.

....and I thought MD distributorship laws were crazy!

When GBS picked our Knob Creek barrel, they dumped it, gauged it, and sent it to the bottling line while we were there.  Im pretty sure we were also given the opportunity to purchase and leave with some bottles at that time.  I think it was limited though, to 1 per person.  As I understand it, Kentucky amended their laws to offer an option in the distillery gift shop and distributor transaction just paper shuffling.

On 12/21/2023 at 12:06 PM, smokinjoe said:

When GBS picked our Knob Creek barrel, they dumped it, gauged it, and sent it to the bottling line while we were there.  Im pretty sure we were also given the opportunity to purchase and leave with some bottles at that time.  I think it was limited though, to 1 per person.  As I understand it, Kentucky amended their laws to offer an option in the distillery gift shop and distributor transaction just paper shuffling.

Back in  2017 we picked up our Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve bottles about 30 seconds, or so, after they were filled.   We picked them up, handed them to the guy dipping the necks in wax.   While they were still warm you could stick your thumbprint on the top.  My buddy stuck her Mickey Mouse shaped ring on the top, which was kinda cool.   This was our first trip to the Motherland and, of all the distilleries that we planned to tour, I had the lowest expectations for Beam.   I was sadly mistaken.    It was one of the better tours.    

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • I like it 3

3 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Back in  2017 we picked up our Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve bottles about 30 seconds, or so, after they were filled.   We picked them up, handed them to the guy dipping the necks in wax.   While they were still warm you could stick your thumbprint on the top.  My buddy stuck her Mickey Mouse shaped ring on the top, which was kinda cool.   This was our first trip to the Motherland and, of all the distilleries that we planned to tour, I had the lowest expectations for Beam.   I was sadly mistaken.    It was one of the better tours.    

Same.  A couple guys did the imprint thing.  I am of the same opinion on the your.  It’s very good, and the po king experience was top notch.  A couple po s below.  Ox doing the imprint, and Josh doing the dipping.  

82F28019-C3D5-4CD5-8EBC-B4D151D7EB23.jpeg

3C117161-3150-4A09-9802-BE2BA0C6E4AB.jpeg

49BE7CDF-21D0-490F-A9FD-E8E02FCFEA35.jpeg

EE2D5524-47FB-4443-8BD4-6764184E3540.jpeg

35803C80-A325-4336-83AF-0CF9F11B482A.jpeg

• I like it 3

46 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Same.  A couple guys did the imprint thing.  I am of the same opinion on the your.  It’s very good, and the po king experience was top notch.  A couple po s below.  Ox doing the imprint, and Josh doing the dipping.  

82F28019-C3D5-4CD5-8EBC-B4D151D7EB23.jpeg

3C117161-3150-4A09-9802-BE2BA0C6E4AB.jpeg

49BE7CDF-21D0-490F-A9FD-E8E02FCFEA35.jpeg

EE2D5524-47FB-4443-8BD4-6764184E3540.jpeg

35803C80-A325-4336-83AF-0CF9F11B482A.jpeg

Yeah we were very pleasantly surprised. It certainly exceeded our expectations.

Me and a buddy of mine got to dump the barrel. 

On 12/18/2023 at 6:41 PM, Jazz June said:

What other TN distilleries have you visited? I’m picking at JD next spring and looking at other places to visit.

Dickel and Uncle Nearest are each about 20 minuts away from JD.  Nearest is a beutiful campus and they ahve the worlds longest bar there.

There are around 9 distilleries in nashville, the best of them is Pennington distilling co which makes Davidson Reserve Bourbon

Edited by hughewil
  • I like it 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2023 at 12:06 PM, smokinjoe said:

Wilderness Trail offers whole or partial barrel picks and I recall being told they bottle directly after selection and you can take your bottles that same day. The tour samples flowed liberally that day so my recollections may or may not be spot on, I am not betting any ranches either, maybe just an outhouse on the back nine.

• I like it 1

On 12/27/2023 at 9:23 AM, Skinsfan1311 said:

On 12/27/2023 at 1:28 PM, smokinjoe said:

I loved the Knob Creek single barrel tour.  I remember getting to partially fill a new barrel with new make from their gas pump-like filler.  That was fun.

• I like it 3

• 2 months later...

Visited Lynchburg today for a barrel pick.. my first. Had a great time and a great tour guide. Chose between three great barrels. None had the standard jd profile but lots of cherries and caramel. Really excited about our pick. Great tour guide.. relatively short tour, not sure if there are longer options. Great experience overall. And JDSBBPR in the gift shop.  Lived 1.25hours  away since 92 and cant believe i have never been. 

• I like it 2