Federal Lawsuit Challenges Ban on At-Home Distilling

jvd99

This needs to be ruled on.  Home distilling for personal consumption should 100% be legal.  Criminaize sale sure, but not creation.

• I like it 1

On 12/27/2023 at 7:58 PM, hughewil said:

This needs to be ruled on.  Home distilling for personal consumption should 100% be legal.  Criminaize sale sure, but not creation.

Agreed.  I used to think that I'd want to try that, but after trying a ton of 'craft' whiskey, I've decided that unless I was going to fill a 53 gallon barrel, it'd be a lot of work for a lousy outcome.  Although I suppose making gin or other spirits would be doable.

• I like it 1

Yup.   Making 'bathtub gin' could be fun.   Choice of botanicals (and/or whatnot) would allow a good deal of creativity; although still not a guarantee of a worthwhile outcome, I'm sure.   Might be fun to experiment.   

I wonder what quantity of materials (mash?) one would have to have in order to make a start on such an undertaking...? Anybody?

I watched Master Distiller through the pandemic.  It was mostly backyard and startup craft folks competing in whatever challenge the producers came up with.  Flavored brandy or shine seems like something fun and doable.  I can't imagine it makes any sense financially and might not yield enjoyable results for a bit.  Certainly a lot of work and I'm not sure a jar or two at a time makes sense.  

My first and only experience crating my own booze was when me and a buddy decided to make "wine" at summer camp when we were 6 or 7.  There were blackberry bushes all over so we harvested some. Then we smashed them up and mixed them with a can of Coors or whatever it was my buddy stole from his dad.   We didn't drink enough to get sick or caught.    

During prohibition, my grandfather had a still and made moonshine. My dad has a still and distilled water. Over time the well became contaminated with farm chemicals so my dad filtered the cistern water then distilled it in the basement of his home.

As an undergrad, I did my directed study in an organic chemistry lab, we used a lot of gold shield alcohol, some of which went into making gin that was enjoyed by the chemistry staff throughout the building. Times were different 50 years ago.

Many years ago now, I made a small batch of hard cider, it was OK, but to be honest, it would have been more enjoyable as sweet cider with some vodka added.