C923 Lareny v Elijah Craig

hughewil

With the praise between these 2 (EC Breaking Bourbon whiskey of the year and larceny Fred Minachs #2) I decided to blind them.

I opened both bottles 1 week ago and my wife blinded them between the BC glass and the Bard glass.

ecvl.jpg.a335e541448f981a0c66b51bca2d8851.jpg

Bard glass nose~ light, cinnamon, nutmeg, sugar
Bc glass nose- caramel, char, dark berry
Nose winner - bc glass

Bard palette- baking spice, oak, char, long finish whole mouth tingling
Bc palette- brown sugar, char, oily mouth feel, long long finish, dark chocolate
Winner palette- bc glass

Winner:  BC Glass: Elijah Craig C923

Both are really good, Heaven Hill is doing a great job with the barrel proofs,  The primary diffwrnece for me and what put the EC over the edge was the mouth feel,  The EC ws really viscous.

Edited by hughewil
  • I like it 5

Thanks for posting this comparison.

I've been lucky enough to score a couple of the Larceny C923 bottles (one by Christmas gift, thanks to a very thoughtful and loving in-law).

But no such luck on the Elijah Craig BP C923 (No Thanks to the tater/flipper hordes ... F*** you)

• I like it 5

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Thanks for posting this comparison.

I've been lucky enough to score a couple of the Larceny C923 bottles (one by Christmas gift, thanks to a very thoughtful and loving in-law).

But no such luck on the Elijah Craig BP C923 (No Thanks to the tater/flipper hordes ... F*** you)

I got 1 EC in september tha is nearly gone then it took me 3 months to find another.  Wife got me 1 for christmas and I found one the same week.  so i opened 1 for this comparrison so they were both open the same mount of time (got 2 larceny around christmas)

Edited by hughewil
  • I like it 5

I have both bottles... got the Laeceny a while back then stumbled on a EC C923 at a shop by me in a house, not my normal store.

I was excited to find it and at a reasonable price. I like the Larceny much better for my palate. But then I read about the supposed differences in the batches for the C923, identified by the laser code on the back, and wouldn't you know it, I got the batch that is supposed to be the inferior one lol... COME ON! This hobby drives me nuts because I am just neurotic enough to let it affect me lol.

I would be curious to know which bottle you have for the EC?

• I like it 1

On 1/7/2024 at 12:04 AM, hughewil said:

I got 1 EC in september tha is nearly gone then it took me 3 months to find another.  Wife got me 1 for christmas and I found one the same week.  so i opened 1 for this comparrison so they were both open the same mount of time (got 2 larceny around christmas)

ECBP is pretty hard to find in Texas compared to other states.

• I like it 1

I have both of these open and hadn't even thought of doing a blind between them until I saw this thread.

Both are fantastic and I'd be thrilled with a pour of either one, but the ECBP seems to consistently suit my palate. 

• I like it 2