AH Hirsch 16 year question

steven s

lucky enough to sample this today. Thoughts on the history, etc.?  I know it was distilled in 1974 and bottle 1990. My pal bought it then.  It's fabulous btw.

IMG_0780.jpeg

IMG_0779.jpeg

Edited by steven s
  • I like it 1

I have about an inch left in a bottle I've had for many years, always willing to share with anyone who recognized what it is.   The coolest thing for me is that it was distilled by Dick Stoll,  the last man standing at the old Michters distillary in,  what was it,  Schaefferstown,  PA if I recall.  Stoll went on to distill some interesting rye for Stoll and Wolfe before he passed away.

It's a very delicate pour, it reminds me of Buffalo Trace with a vaneer of vanilla.  Some faint mustiness, which seems appropriate given that this is the last of Pennsylvania's distilling heritage before the craft boom reestablished Commonwealth distilling, Monangahela rye and all that jazz.   At 16 years of age, it's like a formal portrait for posterity,  and I'm lucky to still have it on call.  

20240113_183106.jpg

Edited by Jazzhead

Here's a single barrel of the good stuff from Dick Stoll as distilled in the last year of his life.    

20240113_185021.jpg

• I like it 1

Thx for the info, much appreciated! We finished the bottle, it was unique. Delicate and light for sure with an apricot note. Lovely.

The 4 others and I preferred this to a current ORVW lot B. By a long shot.

2 minutes ago, steven s said:

Thx for the info, much appreciated! We finished the bottle, it was unique. Delicate and light for sure with an apricot note. Lovely.

The 4 others and I preferred this to a current ORVW lot B. By a long shot.

I’d take one bottle of Hirsch 16 over a a dozen bottles of current Lot B, and it wouldn’t be a hard decision for me. The Hirsch 16 is a special piece of American whiskey history. Current Lot B is just overhyped Weller 12 in a different bottle and nothing super special to me. 

Cool of your friend to share the bottle with friends, as it should be. 

• I like it 1

Our friend Chuck Cowdery wrote a book about it.  Cleverly titled, “The Best Bourbon You’ll Never Taste”, it tells the tale and history of the whiskey and Michter’s.

D5C76CCC-A69A-4C7A-A7B5-2B83EDAE2D09.jpeg

908FBE21-E9E1-4657-896C-40A1A0DBC284.jpeg

• I like it 8

• 1 month later...

I'm new here but thought I would add my 2 cents.  I was fortunate to get 2 bottles a few years after the release. I drank one back then and really enjoyed it.  Its been so long all i recall is a bit of vanilla.   I have the other waiting for the right occasion to open.  

Welcome in Whiskey Fan, a name we can all appreciate.