What Irish whiskey are you drinking or purchased 2024 ?

Kepler

Let's have a unique thread for Irish whiskey this year...

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 2

• Kepler changed the title to What Irish whiskey are you drinking or purchased 2024 ?

Haven't been drinking a lot of Irish whiskey lately, but I did have a pour of the Redbreast PX this weekend and it is still a tasty one.

• I like it 1

Having endured a significant drought of at least a year of seeing this on the shelf ‘round here, I eagerly picked up 2 bottles last week when I stumbled upon them.  Redbreast CS is probably my favorite Irish, along with Writers’ Tears Red Head.  

239BFD9E-83EF-4C35-9330-F2FD6CC87C41.jpeg

• I like it 7

On 1/15/2024 at 1:24 PM, NDN98 said:

Haven't been drinking a lot of Irish whiskey lately, but I did have a pour of the Redbreast PX this weekend and it is still a tasty one.

I picked up one of the PX (along with a Tawny Port as well).  Glad to hear I have something to look forward to.

• 4 weeks later...

Forgot to take a picture but was excited to do a blind three-way tasting of three different RB12CS batches (B1/18, B2/19, B1/22).  Had an open bottle of B1/18 laying around, a new bottle of B2/19 that I cracked open today, and a sample of B1/22 I got from a GBS Irish Night last year (can't recall whose bottle it was, maybe @troyce).  Poured just under 1 oz in a Glencairn and shuffled them around. 

So good news/bad news.

Good news - none were bad or a significant departure from the rest.  In fact if I paid retail for any of them, I wouldn't have been disappointed.

Bad news - the newest batch (B1/22) was in last place, and I noticed the color was a tad lighter than the other two.  My guess is that by volume, that batch had a bit more 'bourbon' casks over 'sherry' casks.  On the nose, it had just a tiny bit less fruit notes than the other two (which I found virtually indistinguishable from one another).  Hope that they're not cutting back on the sherry casks in the later years - although if I didn't have another next to it, wouldn't have thought there was anything sub-par about it.  Still drinks really nicely.

• I like it 2

On 2/11/2024 at 1:38 PM, GaryT said:

Forgot to take a picture but was excited to do a blind three-way tasting of three different RB12CS batches (B1/18, B2/19, B1/22).  Had an open bottle of B1/18 laying around, a new bottle of B2/19 that I cracked open today, and a sample of B1/22 I got from a GBS Irish Night last year (can't recall whose bottle it was, maybe @troyce).  Poured just under 1 oz in a Glencairn and shuffled them around. 

So good news/bad news.

Good news - none were bad or a significant departure from the rest.  In fact if I paid retail for any of them, I wouldn't have been disappointed.

Bad news - the newest batch (B1/22) was in last place, and I noticed the color was a tad lighter than the other two.  My guess is that by volume, that batch had a bit more 'bourbon' casks over 'sherry' casks.  On the nose, it had just a tiny bit less fruit notes than the other two (which I found virtually indistinguishable from one another).  Hope that they're not cutting back on the sherry casks in the later years - although if I didn't have another next to it, wouldn't have thought there was anything sub-par about it.  Still drinks really nicely.

Great breakdown, and very useful to know.  Thanks for the details. 👍

• I like it 1

Powers John’s Lane, tonight.  Nicely proofed and nicely aged.  That vegetal note that I look for in Irish is perfectly done.  

43C33029-B41E-4124-B481-F68FE9DAEF5A.jpeg

• I like it 4

5 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Powers John’s Lane, tonight.  Nicely proofed and nicely aged.  That vegetal note that I look for in Irish is perfectly done.  

43C33029-B41E-4124-B481-F68FE9DAEF5A.jpeg

Nice pic.  I have really come to like that bottle.  I've found it to be 9.5/10 the flavor of the similar yellow spot at about half the price.  I know, I shouldn't say that out loud, right?  🤫:ph34r:

I'm having a sip of Teeling pot still PS barrel.  At 110 proof it's a richer more intense version of their standard Pot Still whiskey.

• I like it 1

Never had them.  Thought I would try some. Close to St. Pats day is just a coincidence. 

IMG_0741.jpeg

Well its March, time for my annual foray into Irish Whiskey. I only do this as an homage to my ancestors as I have tried and tried....and tried over the years to truly enjoy the style but it has eluded me. Early on I purchased the obligatory Red Breast and I actually thought I got a bad one. My error was expecting FLAVOR as that is what all the tasting notes raved about, that one, to my taste might as well have been vodka.

In the ensuing years I discovered Teeling which at least, if the mood was right, tasted like something. The extreme subtlety of a barley distillate at relatively low proof aged in a cool climate in used barrels just cannot compete with a good bourbon or rye.

This year I am trying Kilbeggan single pot still and going in I decided to really focus on a couple of the most common notes I see attributed to Irish whiskey pears and pineapple, well it worked!! Finally, I enjoyed my pour last night. While it will never rival bourbons and ryes, I've finally come to a truce with the style and am accepting of its muted flavors. As long as I can tease out as much flavor as I enjoyed last night, these annual March pours will be an OK hiatus from my preferred styles. 

In truth others on occasion have shown promise, Powers Johns Lane and Writers Tears come to mind. I just need to forget what Rye and bourbon taste like and lower my expectations, at that point things open up and I can appreciate those mild pear and pineapple notes, I am glad of that as I happen to love both pears and pineapple.

So there we are, after a circuitous and often frustration journey I can finally say I truly enjoyed some Irish Whiskey!! My ancestors would be so proud LOL!! Next week my Teeling will re-enter the picture and I am confident that will be OK too as I have enjoyedish that one in the past but my new perspective I believe will solidify and enhance the whole experience. I've stated similar experiences in past years but always with an eye toward ryes and bourbons, that was my error as it doomed the Irish pours to fail and led to my inconsistent ( mostly unfavorable opinions on the whiskey) I will consciously avoid that trap going forward.

Slainte my friends and oh how I can't wait for my next glass of Rare Breed to set the world back to its proper orbit LOL!!

• I like it 2

12 hours ago, kcgumbohead said:

Well its March, time for my annual foray into Irish Whiskey. I only do this as an homage to my ancestors as I have tried and tried....and tried over the years to truly enjoy the style but it has eluded me. Early on I purchased the obligatory Red Breast and I actually thought I got a bad one. My error was expecting FLAVOR as that is what all the tasting notes raved about, that one, to my taste might as well have been vodka.

In the ensuing years I discovered Teeling which at least, if the mood was right, tasted like something. The extreme subtlety of a barley distillate at relatively low proof aged in a cool climate in used barrels just cannot compete with a good bourbon or rye.

This year I am trying Kilbeggan single pot still and going in I decided to really focus on a couple of the most common notes I see attributed to Irish whiskey pears and pineapple, well it worked!! Finally, I enjoyed my pour last night. While it will never rival bourbons and ryes, I've finally come to a truce with the style and am accepting of its muted flavors. As long as I can tease out as much flavor as I enjoyed last night, these annual March pours will be an OK hiatus from my preferred styles. 

In truth others on occasion have shown promise, Powers Johns Lane and Writers Tears come to mind. I just need to forget what Rye and bourbon taste like and lower my expectations, at that point things open up and I can appreciate those mild pear and pineapple notes, I am glad of that as I happen to love both pears and pineapple.

So there we are, after a circuitous and often frustration journey I can finally say I truly enjoyed some Irish Whiskey!! My ancestors would be so proud LOL!! Next week my Teeling will re-enter the picture and I am confident that will be OK too as I have enjoyedish that one in the past but my new perspective I believe will solidify and enhance the whole experience. I've stated similar experiences in past years but always with an eye toward ryes and bourbons, that was my error as it doomed the Irish pours to fail and led to my inconsistent ( mostly unfavorable opinions on the whiskey) I will consciously avoid that trap going forward.

Slainte my friends and oh how I can't wait for my next glass of Rare Breed to set the world back to its proper orbit LOL!!

Glad you finally found one that suits your palate.  But if you are looking for more bold flavor in an Irish whiskey, have you tried the RB12 Cask strength?  RB Lustau?  Both of those are full of fruity flavors and I can't imagine anyone would find either of them to be too muted.  I also feel that the Teeling "Pot Still" has a lot of bold in your face barley/cereal flavor notes. 

• I like it 2

Got my weekend work done, so now it's time for some pre- St. Patrick's day pours. 🍀🇮🇪🥃

A couple of alternating pours of Yellow Spot and Powers John's Lane.  Two evenly matched 12-yr single pot still whiskies from Midleton distillery.  These are so close, it's hard to pick a winner.  Until you look at the price.

• I like it 1

Posted (edited)

Continuing the Irish theme. 🇮🇪 ☘️  Although a different type  (single malt vs single pot still) this whiskey tastes like a step up from the yellow spot and Powers that I just tasted.

I picked up this bottle a couple weeks ago.... Limavady Spec's sib store pick.  Spec's never ceases to amaze me with the  breadth of their private pick program, across all categories of spirits (especially their Scotch selection which has to be at least among the better ones in the US).  IMO their bourbon private pick program pales in comparison to other spirits.

Slainte!

20240316_171120.thumb.jpg.14c6a68540416f781430da4516c10da7.jpg

Edited by Kepler
spelling
  • I like it 1

On 3/8/2024 at 10:13 PM, Kepler said:

Glad you finally found one that suits your palate.  But if you are looking for more bold flavor in an Irish whiskey, have you tried the RB12 Cask strength?  RB Lustau?  Both of those are full of fruity flavors and I can't imagine anyone would find either of them to be too muted.  I also feel that the Teeling "Pot Still" has a lot of bold in your face barley/cereal flavor notes. 

Two of my favorites.  Alas, I finished off my RB Lustau bottle #2 of only two last month.  Still have some bunkered RB 12 CS which I seem to be able to find regularly.  Tonight, because I’m highway driving on St.P’s Day tomorrow, I opened a Teeling Single Grain (barley maybe???? Hahaha), 92 proof non-chill filtered finished in ex-California Cabernet Sauvignon barrels.  I only poured three ounces neat.  I’m glad/sad I left the bottle in the kitchen.  This could be favorite number three.  Spicy, no peat, good barley cereal with a hint of sugar, loooooong finish.

• I like it 3

Happy St Patrick’s Day.  🇮🇪☘️
After a long day of household chores, which included cleaning out the dryer vent pipe of lint (what a filthy job) and installing a new dryer, I’m finally sitting down to enjoy a pour. Good timing I suppose, because it is now officially St Pat’s Day here. 
So, in honor of our Irish friends, I’m sipping on RBCS. This is my first Irish whisky. The Red Breast cask strength was recommended to me, by my very own whiskey Mentor. He certainly knows his stuff. 
A very nice finish (start?) to the day. 😀

Slainte!

• I like it 3

Decided to crack this one today.  A souvenir from my trip to Ireland last summer.  It's definitely worth the wait.

20240317_170141.thumb.jpg.7616536edc473c7ce60247a3858ae394.jpg

• I like it 4

Oooohhh that's nice. Best I can do is a 21yr. Enjoy.

🍻

• I like it 1

52 minutes ago, Pub Crawler said:

Oooohhh that's nice. Best I can do is a 21yr. Enjoy.

🍻

I had the 21 while I was over there in Ireland.  It's fantastic too!

• I like it 1

RB12 and RBCS amongst a few cheapies to celebrate SPD with the boys.  

• I like it 1

A bit of Teeling single malt for SPD. This is one I've had for a few years and has been the most enjoyable among the Irish whiskies I've owned. Its getting down to the last couple pours, I may replace this one once its empty. Slainte!!

• I like it 1