Cocktail Hour! - 2024

smokinjoe

You know you’re into a new year, when you’re knee deep in NFL playoff football.  2024 is well upon us, and watching Texans and Ravens on TV, with a Black Manhattan.  

416351B9-C1D5-429C-B08A-B81E6F99D86F.jpeg

• I like it 4

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

You know you’re into a new year, when you’re knee deep in NFL playoff football.  2024 is well upon us, and watching Texans and Ravens on TV, with a Black Manhattan.  

416351B9-C1D5-429C-B08A-B81E6F99D86F.jpeg

Hmmmm....that looks pretty damn good. 

So the only difference between a traditional Manhattan,  and this  one, is the Amaro? 

I might have to try that.

What is the ratio of whiskey to Amaro?

7 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Hmmmm....that looks pretty damn good. 

So the only difference between a traditional Manhattan,  and this  one, is the Amaro? 

I might have to try that.

What is the ratio of whiskey to Amaro?

It’s one of my favorite cold weather cocktails.  2:1 rye to Amaro.  Averna is the only Amaro I have heard of for this cocktail.  

• I like it 1

24 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

It’s one of my favorite cold weather cocktails.  2:1 rye to Amaro.  Averna is the only Amaro I have heard of for this cocktail.

Thanks!

I substituted Montenegro, so it's more of a "Tan" Manhattan 😅

Thanks for the inspiration!

20240120_211630.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Formerly known as the “ Transatlantic Giant”, but renamed in Bardstown, KY, it’s the “Smokinmuthahfuc^in’joe” for me this afternoon. 🙌 A classic TANSTAAFL2 creation!  

F004C969-375F-4132-B3C6-15EA64798211.jpeg

• I like it 1

I remember that one!   That was a very memorable (and delicious!) cocktail... But, then Bruce's "portable cocktail bar" is/was always a place for exactly such wonders.   If memory serves (a highly dubious bet!) I had at least 3-of these the first year they were offered by TANSTAAFL2 at the Bardstown picnic.

The man is astounding (to me for sure!) in his mastery of cocktails!  ...In no small measure due to his prodigious bunker of ingredients!

I'm envying your own mixology right now, smokinjoe!   SLAINTE!

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/4/2024 at 12:57 PM, smokinjoe said:

Formerly known as the “ Transatlantic Giant”, but renamed in Bardstown, KY, it’s the “Smokinmuthahfuc^in’joe” for me this afternoon. 🙌 A classic TANSTAAFL2 creation!  

That is an interesting assortment that doesn't seem like it work! I'm not nearly as adventurous when it comes to cocktails. Just having a MM101 Old Fashioned (although it was barrel aged by a friend). I just add the fruit and some bitters. This one is a little on the sweet side. I may need to add an extra splash of MM101. I'll do that on the next one. 😜

20240225_140304.jpg

Edited by Clueby
  • I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

Paper Plane, while waiting for the lemon baked cod to finish up.  

4C919564-327E-4A3A-BDBF-F6103A8DE673.jpeg

Nuthin' fancy😎

A premium Jack & Ginger....

20240308_204652.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Inspired by the party in the Rye thread I decided to pop this bottle. I also haven’t had a cocktail at home probably since the holidays. I went heavy on the angostura to make sure this wasn’t overly sweet. Turned out to be magnificent drink. Took it on a walk through the neighborhood to wind the day down. Cara Cara for the win. 

IMG_2021.jpeg

Edited by MM818
  • I like it 2

James Joyce Cocktail is my St. Patrick’s Day cocktail of choice.  Gary Regan explains in his “The Joy of Mixology”, that he created it as a change up on the Oriental Cocktail.  
1.5 oz Irish Whiskey

3/4 oz Sweet Vermouth

3/4 oz Triple Sec

1/2 oz Lemon Juice

Shake over ice and serve in cocktail glass.  

03C44773-BC30-462E-A16E-87B47B9F5DD5.jpeg

• I like it 2

That's some damned expensive triple sec.

1 hour ago, ratcheer said:

That's some damned expensive triple sec.

Heehee!  I know!  😂 I typically don’t carry   regular triple sec around, and sub GM for it.  

I always use Grand Marnier instead of Triple Sec.  Makes for very nice margaritas!  I just pick it up when it goes on sale at the ABC -- ends up only costing slightly more than triple sec.

In honor of National Cocktail Day I'm having a MM101 barrel aged Old Fashioned in my favorite glass. 

20240324_194338.jpg

Happy Easter! Barrel aged WSR Old Fashioned while the ham (and turkey for the kids that don't like ham) is cooking.

20240331_150314.jpg

• I like it 3

It's 5 o'clock somewhere.  Oh wait, it's 5 o'clock here!

A barrel-aged old fashioned made by a buddy.  Cheers!

20240405_170042.thumb.jpg.e68d0946a99810cc5ae93dfb5cec3d40.jpg

• I like it 1

Closing out a long week with a Smoked Old Fashioned.  Got big into these during the pandemic when the wifey bought me a kit, which turned out to be worthless but thankfully friends explained how to do it right.  If you haven't yet enjoyed and are so inclined - not terribly complicated.

Step 1. Assemble stuff (torch, oak chips, jar w/ lid to collect smoke)

setup.thumb.jpg.41a034c2f074901f27493e84c230e40c.jpg

Step 2. Torch chips, cap w/ jar to collect smoke, and mix cocktail (in my case, 2.5 oz of a Stellum bourbon pick, 1 oz simple syrup, 2 dashes Angostura bitters & 1 dash Orange bitters)

smoke_collection_drink.thumb.jpg.d32fe1843fa3b5d9f994b87aec69af1a.jpg

Step 3. Slide cap under jar, turn upright and set down, slowly remove cap just enough to dump in cocktail, re-cap and swirl/shake to mix.

mix.thumb.jpg.6f782b6552e5bb790ceb3e48e4cb49ce.jpg

Step 4. Pour into glass w/ ice, garish as you wish (I like a bit or orange zest squeezed over and then run around the rim for good measure), and most importantly - ENJOY!

done.thumb.jpg.82eba552166c2a48caf3a17de121bc95.jpg

• I like it 2

An OF100 Manhattan. I have to go to a play tonight. It’s a 2nd and 3rd grader performance of Annie. Figured I needed to keep it at 100 proof but still needed something to carry me through…

IMG_0555.jpeg

• I like it 1

• 3 weeks later...

I am old and I don't drink very often, anymore. We even went on a resort vacation a week back, and I had only one beer the whole trip.

But today, I was thirsty and my stomach was willing, so I had a double shot of Mt Gay Eclipse rum with lime juice and a lot of ice. It was very satisfying.

• I like it 1