1792 Variations (BIB, SW, HR, 12yr) Where are they?!?

PowderKeg

Pre-Covidiocy I could find my favorite three 1792 variants (BIB, HR, & SW) periodically around central AR, and at times elsewhere on road trips (all at MSRP), so I was able to bunker several of each for future enjoyment, but Post-Covidiocy I haven't seen anything beyond standard SmB - not even an occasional FP or SiB which were more commonly seen prior as well.  Where are they hiding now?  What states/locales are seeing more consistent distribution of 1792 variants?  Will have some road trips coming again this spring/summer/fall and would like to add a few back to the bunker.  A quick search brings up brief mentions in some recent general "enjoying" threads, so they must still be out there, but where?

1792 12yr is the one I've still yet to try/pick up - have only seen one or two at pinhooker pricing, and I will not feed the bourbon shysters, too much good bourbon at MSRP out there to enjoy instead than to do that.

• I like it 2

Been pretty dry up here in MO, except for one 1792 BIB store pick and one Full Proof store pick in the past year.

12 year 1792 is very good, but Calumet 14, 15, & 16 offer a similar -if not better experience if you're comparing tater pricing on the 1792 12 year.

• I like it 2

Yeah, as @0895 pointed out, we  had a recent BIB store pick. Was actually pretty good.  I've seen a few FP's around.  I saw a store a few months ago with a store pick Single Barrel.  Was first I had seen of that.  If I remember it was priced with a premium over regular SB and I passed.

I still have a bottle of the High Rye and was surprised it got discontinued.  It was my favorite of the lineup.  The "tater value" of that bottle has gone thru the roof.

Been dry here for a while in Washington state as well. Used to be plentiful.

13 hours ago, Jazz June said:

The 1792 High Rye was discontinued.

Clueby said:

I still have a bottle of the High Rye and was surprised it got discontinued.  It was my favorite of the lineup.  The "tater value" of that bottle has gone thru the roof.

Curious who your source was, the website lists all the variants as "Limited Edition Expressions" which I translate as 'we'll maybe release them inconsistently if/when we ever get around to it again'.   Although I also wouldn't bet on the website's accuracy either.  I haven't paid as much attention as I used to to distillery news, so maybe I missed something.

On another thought, what's the possibility that supplying Costco with the Kirkland bourbons is cutting into a fair chunk of potential stocks for 1792 variants?  HR & SW wouldn't be impacted by Costco with the odd-man-out mashbills, but assuming the standard mashbill covers everything else, I wonder how popular Kirkland is at the stores? 

Edited by PowderKeg

19 hours ago, 0895 said:

12 year 1792 is very good, but Calumet 14, 15, & 16 offer a similar -if not better experience if you're comparing tater pricing on the 1792 12 year.

I've eyeballed the Calumets on occasion but never felt like pulling the trigger, will have to reconsider once I get past "no-buy January" - my version of dry-January, focusing on knocking out open bottles and replenishing from the bunker first.  

17 hours ago, Jazz June said:

The 1792 High Rye was discontinued.

That sucks because that's my favorite 1792.

But in this age of "special" and "limited" releases for max profits, ... is anything ever really discontinued?  Or just gone until they are able to spin up a fresh batch of 5-6 year liquid?

Edited by Kepler

In Texas, store picks of Bonded, Full Proof, and Single Barrel (beige neckband) are regularly in the tater release rotation.  Basically plentiful (in 2023 terms mind you). 

I saw on Facebook that Sweet Wheat had a recent release here.  I didn't bother.  I like my SW bottle enough, but it's among the most boring tasting bourbons I've ever tasted.  I like standard MM and WSR just as much.

• I like it 1

17 hours ago, PowderKeg said:

Curious who your source was, the website lists all the variants as "Limited Edition Expressions" which I translate as 'we'll maybe release them inconsistently if/when we ever get around to it again'.   Although I also wouldn't bet on the website's accuracy either.  I haven't paid as much attention as I used to to distillery news, so maybe I missed something.

On another thought, what's the possibility that supplying Costco with the Kirkland bourbons is cutting into a fair chunk of potential stocks for 1792 variants?  HR & SW wouldn't be impacted by Costco with the odd-man-out mashbills, but assuming the standard mashbill covers everything else, I wonder how popular Kirkland is at the stores? 

I don't really have a source other than the fact that I haven't seen or heard of a release of this in years and many websites/reviews/reddit, etc. refer to it as discontinued.  I suppose they could ultimately release it again.  Did the port finish ever get "officially" discontinued or did it just disappear?

That's also a good point re: the Kirkland bourbons as well as all the other popular stuff that sources from Barton (Calumet, Cream of Ky, etc.)

14 hours ago, Kepler said:

That sucks because that's my favorite 1792.

But in this age of "special" and "limited" releases for max profits, ... is anything ever really discontinued?  Or just gone until they are able to spin up a fresh batch of 5-6 year liquid?

I wish they’d spin up a fresh batch of 1792 port finished.

That stuff was fantastic.

8 years later… still waiting.

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, Clueby said:

I don't really have a source other than the fact that I haven't seen or heard of a release of this in years and many websites/reviews/reddit, etc. refer to it as discontinued.  I suppose they could ultimately release it again.  Did the port finish ever get "officially" discontinued or did it just disappear?

That's also a good point re: the Kirkland bourbons as well as all the other popular stuff that sources from Barton (Calumet, Cream of Ky, etc.)

and don't forget about all of the Barton sourced house brand labels that Total Wine has as well. 

• I like it 1

Passed on a SW last month at $69. But thats all ive seen in TN. Agree the High Rye was very good. 

On 1/29/2024 at 8:01 PM, PowderKeg said:

Clueby said:

The Barton employee leading our barrel pick told me it was discontinued and I haven't seen a new release of it anytime in the last few years. Their website still lists the Port Finish, which I understand to have been a one time release (at least so far), so I don't think the High Rye still being on there means much. I thought Sazerac was investing more effort in Barton distilled products with the introduction of the 1792 Aged Twelve Years and the Thomas S. Moore line, but that seems to have stagnated now. The Thomas S. Moore releases seem to have been a big flop as I see them sitting at heavily discounted from MSRP prices in more than one place. Barton definitely continues to be a significant source of KSBW for NDPs, but that distillery can really pump out the juice so I'd be surprised if they lacked the whiskey to do more with their own premium brand if they wanted to. I do find it curious that they don't make more of the wheated mash bill they use for the Sweet Wheat, but maybe they are selling off those barrels?

• I like it 3

Used to see most of the expressions (BIB, SiB, FP) frequently around here in upstate/downstate NY too. Picked up a 12yr and SW previously as well. Now it's just Basic, and every once in a while a FP store pick. Maybe 6 months ago a couple bottles of BIB showed up at a local store, but they were charging a premium.

The small batch is common around here, but that's about it.  I love the BIB when I can find it.   Barton juice is excellent, but they can't seem to get a handle on how to market it. 

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, Jazzhead said:

The small batch is common around here, but that's about it.  I love the BIB when I can find it.   Barton juice is excellent, but they can't seem to get a handle on how to market it. 

Hard to believe that sazerac could screw up marketing on anything. They are usually masterful at it.