Brown-Forman Sells Jack Daniel Cooperage to Independent Stave Company

Kepler

Hmmm. Concentrating their efforts on the core business: distilling, 'filtering', aging and selling their Tennessee Whiskey.   Probably a good business move. 

And, I.S. is a recognized world expert on barrel making/firing, along with having been an innovator for a good while now.   

On the pother hand, any further 'consolidation' of an important process in the hands of an enterprise that already controls the lion's share of barrel-making could backfire.    Time will tell, as always.

• I like it 1

I always thought it was kind of cool that Jack Daniel's had their own cooperage.  It kind of set them apart from the others.

• I like it 3

Making your own barrels always more sense to me than growing your own grain. Barrels can be experimented with char, toast, and length of drying time. Coopering just isn't as virtuous and sexy in marketing as farming is, huh?

• I like it 1

On 2/26/2024 at 7:54 PM, Kepler said:

I always thought it was kind of cool that Jack Daniel's had their own cooperage.  It kind of set them apart from the others.

BF still has their cooperage in Louisville and will likely supply JD from there.

• I like it 2

23 minutes ago, flahute said:

BF still has their cooperage in Louisville and will likely supply JD from there.

I read that after I posted.  Maybe their Louisville operations have become more efficient and the other location was no longer needed anyway.  Probably a non-story in retrospect.

• I like it 1

• 1 month later...

Guide at JD said ISC will run the cooperage but it will still be exclusively making barrels for Jack.

• I like it 1