What did you purchase this Spring? (2024)

markandrex

Since we have transitioned into Spring, I thought a new thread was in order.

These came in the mail today from OF.  I had ordered the 117 - Angels Share and a day or two later they opened the Presidents Choice lottery.  No luck with it, I think the entire population of about  four states were clicking at the same time.  After it closed, I noticed he 117-Scotch Cask popped up so, why not.

It will be the weekend until I am allowed to partake again,  oh well, five days to plan.

image0.jpeg

Edited by markandrex
  • I like it 8

To my surprise, my go to store had stashed away 6 ECBP C 922 from over a year ago for me then had forgotten them. Grabbed 1 and a OF 1920. The other C922 are back under wraps waiting for me!!!

• I like it 5

Mail call from an online retailer lottery.  It was about $30 over retail but I have been a fan of theirs for a while.

image0.jpeg

• I like it 4

no shortage of Weller special reserve in Texas!

IMG_1445.jpeg

• I like it 10

Green River Wheated. 45 ABV, will give it a try. 

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, JT3NSB said:

Thanks @JT3NSB. Here, hold this for me.  😏

4 hours ago, Grady330 said:

Green River Wheated. 45 ABV, will give it a try. 

I enjoyed it.  Didn’t necessarily blow me away, but a good solid whiskey.  As is their rye.  I’ve liked the releases from Green River, so far.

OK useless info alert:  set your bottle on a table with the front label facing you.  Take a quarter coin and place it flat on the table in front of the bottle.  Flick/push/shoot it towards the bottle at the middle of the bottom… 🤪

• I like it 1

I mean, Cellar Aged in duty free, I had to, right? 

IMG_2049.jpeg

• I like it 12

10 hours ago, JT3NSB said:

IMG_1445.jpeg

I was in my local liquor store here in Texas tonight grabbing some wine for the wife (no whiskey purchases).  There was an older gentleman (mostly gray hair) with his wife that were obviously from out of state.  When they discovered the boxes of WSR 1.75ml sitting on the floor that were obviously just put out today, they loaded up their shopping cart with at least 6 handles.  As they made their way to the checkout line they kept looking around, over their shoulder, as if they were breaking some law, looking guilty, lol.

I just smiled knowingly and chuckled to myself inside 😁

• I like it 7

Stopped in a new store that doesn't "officially" open till next week. They were still putting shelf tags up, cleaning, working on stuff, etc.

Had a few things at close to MSRP. ECBP, EC Toasted, HMCK10, JD10. I settled on the Old Fo BPPS for 89.99. A friend got an EC18 for 159.99. They have a tasting bar they were still getting set up with all the Wellerz and Pappiez including a WFP pick. Signed up for their rewards program while there.

20240322_175326.jpg

• I like it 6

15 hours ago, Kepler said:

I was in my local liquor store here in Texas tonight grabbing some wine for the wife (no whiskey purchases).  There was an older gentleman (mostly gray hair) with his wife that were obviously from out of state.  When they discovered the boxes of WSR 1.75ml sitting on the floor that were obviously just put out today, they loaded up their shopping cart with at least 6 handles.  As they made their way to the checkout line they kept looking around, over their shoulder, as if they were breaking some law, looking guilty, lol.

I just smiled knowingly and chuckled to myself inside 😁

Same here. In Ohio Weller reserve and antique were falling off the shelves for months than all of a sudden became 'allocated' and limited.  Good purchase, get it while you can. 

• I like it 1

Not purchased, but a gift from @JerseyDon.  He bought a few. Some for him, some as gifts. On sale for $10.00. 😳

IMG_3976.thumb.jpeg.4eee2ad3915dee971a3f084f141e717f.jpeg

• I like it 3

A friend was on a cruise to St Maarten. He brought me 18 SFTB's, 132 & 134 proof, $175 with taxes each. Most of it ended up with other friends at cost or trade, one as a gift, and one in a charity lottery. Kept a few of  the 134's. The people at Gulmohars now recognize me anytime someone mentions "The lawyer in Puerto Rico". Most everything else there is at secondary. They were trying to sell him a Char #4 for $2,000. I'm bougie, but not at that level!

I do notice that the wax on the seals is a little weird. Emailed Blanton's and the Facebook whiskey detective guy some time ago, they both confirmed that Gulmohars is legit. My theory: For whatever reason, they get a lot of SFTB and it's probably the "imperfect" bottles. No question it's the real thing, I've traded/sold at cost/gifted scores of them.

I have a standing "Let me know if you are headed to St Maarten" APB out there with my crew.

My buddy from yesterday loves the SFTB. He's headed to Madrid. I found another store in the boonies that cannot seem to sell their SFTB. The owner has previously been super flexible and quite simply a nice guy. I'm going to email him tomorrow and see if I can't buy his whole inventory for my friend. I think it's around a dozen bottles. They are presently priced at a bit above MSRP. I think I can get him to drop on MSRP and go easy on shipping to Madrid. My guess is he'll be relieved to have sold it all, willing to sell more in the future. 

And willing to sell me more W12 at 50 euros per bottle. I noticed he put me in the front of the line for those after the last SFTB purchase.

I just sort of stumbled onto it, pretty recently.

Edited by Anwalt
  • I like it 5

The "premium" Benchmarks made a surprise visit to NE IL when I stopped by the store today; had to take home the Bonded and Full Proof. First time seeing them around here. Based on member's reviews I probably should've passed, but we'll see what my primitive taste buds think.

Stopped at my local monger's establishment this morning to look for something "Mitten-Made" to bring down to Bardstown next month.   

Decided on a bottle of Laird's Straight Kentucky (Sourced by Lairds) Bourbon Whiskey finished in Apple Brandy Barrels.   (90-proof)

Reputedly aged 5-years as a Straight Bourbon in it's original barrels, then aged an additional year in used Apple Brandy barrels.

(Lairds is a fruit producer in The Mitten State that has for years marketed it's Apple Brandy among other spirits.)

• I like it 3

20240323_113720.thumb.jpg.79baf401136216b402bc626fa64d2391.jpgSaturday was our monthly state drop. I slept in and missed the OWA. My wife got there early enough to get one. I swore off Booker's and Henry McKenna after the last price increase, but I caved since it was msrp and staring me in the face.

I opened the Henry McKenna Saturday night, and it's fantastic. The last bottle I  opened was just kind of "Meh". So, I'm glad I picked one of these up.

• I like it 7

I came. I saw. I bought.  🤷‍♂️ I stopped at Binny’s just to have a look see. Although I did empty a 1.75 of MM this week,  I wasn’t planning  on replacing it because I still had one in the bunker. What can I say?  It was on sale for $39.99. As for if my gal at MM dipped it, not sure. 🤔 

IMG_4024.thumb.jpeg.ce58de9cd0e8dbb51f89fc1636416189.jpegIMG_4029.thumb.jpeg.32a58f1e5d12a047c3b3be0ad09604ce.jpeg

• I like it 6

Well, there's a good sale that comes around quarterly, and today is the first day.

I grabbed: WT 101, OF 100, Rittenhouse, and Maker's 46.

Manager told me she'll get some more deliveries later in the week.  🤔  I may check out another store in the same chain too.  They may stock a few different items.  Regardless, even if I get nothing else, I'm happy.

• I like it 3

Picked up a Woodford Kentucky Derby and Baker’s over the weekend (Baker’s was a birthday gift for one of Littlesmokinjoe’s and our family’s good friend, who is a bourbon fan).  Today, a Cooper’s Craft 100 and Eagle Rare.  

• I like it 3

IMG_5992.thumb.jpeg.1f160dd3d32123f7c59c78014d28a4e8.jpeg

A friend and I have found five of these 2022 BPs (between us)this month at the same place. Wonder if the store found a case of them in the back. I’ll take my two and not ask any further questions.🙃

• I like it 8

1 hour ago, FasterHorses said:

IMG_5992.thumb.jpeg.1f160dd3d32123f7c59c78014d28a4e8.jpeg

A friend and I have found five of these 2022 BPs (between us)this month at the same place. Wonder if the store found a case of them in the back. I’ll take my two and not ask any further questions.🙃

Nice pickups, interested in how that one tastes, let us know.

The wife made a trip to Louisville with family to help out with 2yo granddaughter.  They brought back a few bottles.  I had some input on the 4R, Willet Rye and McKenna via text, but no input on the others.  I have no familiarity with Rebel.  I think I've seen Old Bardstown on shelves but have never tried it.  Can anyone shed some light on Rebel, or OB bib?  0328240825.thumb.jpg.9d6894b0201d2d4b0e5cba9be52d886e.jpg

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, dean_martin said:

The wife made a trip to Louisville with family to help out with 2yo granddaughter.  They brought back a few bottles.  I had some input on the 4R, Willet Rye and McKenna via text, but no input on the others.  I have no familiarity with Rebel.  I think I've seen Old Bardstown on shelves but have never tried it.  Can anyone shed some light on Rebel, or OB bib?  0328240825.thumb.jpg.9d6894b0201d2d4b0e5cba9be52d886e.jpg

Rebel (used to be called Rebel Yell) is a brand owned by Luxco.  For a long time, that brand was sourced whiskey - wheat mash bill Bourbon from Heaven Hill a.k.a. Old Fitzgerald.  Luxco has been distilling its' own make for a while.  I don't know if that has impacted any of their brands yet.

Old Bardstown B.I.B. is one of the first regular products to come from Willett since they switched over to distilling their own.

• I like it 1

Picked up some fun bottles at Total Wine last night:

JD SBBP

JD SBBP rye

Whistle Pig store pick, 10 yr, 114 proof for under $90

Templeton 10 yr Single Barrell Rye

Tried the JD rye so far.  You can taste and feel the proof but there are a lot of other flavors there as well.  I always get that banana candy flavor in JD.  I really had to search for it in this one.  It's there but very faint and covered up by other flavors.  

On 3/23/2024 at 4:54 AM, Clueby said:

Stopped in a new store that doesn't "officially" open till next week. They were still putting shelf tags up, cleaning, working on stuff, etc.

Had a few things at close to MSRP. ECBP, EC Toasted, HMCK10, JD10. I settled on the Old Fo BPPS for 89.99. A friend got an EC18 for 159.99. They have a tasting bar they were still getting set up with all the Wellerz and Pappiez including a WFP pick. Signed up for their rewards program while there.

20240322_175326.jpg

I was at a work function right next door to this place the other day and was completely oblivious that this new location existed. 

• I like it 1