What did you purchase this Spring? (2024)

markandrex

On 4/5/2024 at 9:46 AM, kcgumbohead said:

That’s always struck me as odd. I have the MMCS and enjoy it. I avoid the 101 due to weird pricing and as far as I know beyond  added water there is no difference between the two so, I opt for less water for less money. Am I missing some fine print somewhere that would warrant a premium on that 101?

That's the million dollar question isn't it?  I have not seen a definitive (blind) comparison between the MM101 and the MMCS.  Until someone (that I trust) does that, I'm not going to make any assumptions.   All I know is that I really, really enjoy MM101 every time I drink it, whereas MMCS requires my palate to be in a certain condition before it's 100% enjoyable.  I have no substantial idea why.  It might be because of the extra added water added in the 101.  Or, for all I know, the "special release" 101 might be a little bit older in the barrel.  Who knows?  I wish I did. 🤷‍♂️

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, PaulO said:

I've been a fan for years.  Somehow that flies just under the radar.  And how many expensive brands sourced from Barton.  🤫

Check out Tom Moore BiB in the family size.  (psst... it's the best value for a Barton bourbon, bar none).  Unfortunately I don't think it's available in very many states.  VOB 100 is the NEXT best option in most states.

2 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Check out Tom Moore BiB in the family size.  (psst... it's the best value for a Barton bourbon, bar none).  Unfortunately I don't think it's available in very many states.  VOB 100 is the NEXT best option in most states.

I have heard of the Tom Moore B.I.B., but we don't get it here in IN.  VOB 100 we get.  Only a small number of stores carry it.

It isn’t very often that a trip to the store to grab a gallon of milk and a couple of other items proves to be so bountiful. Every once in a while……… 😁 🙏 😇

ps  My tentative plan is to blend the ER and Taylor. 😎🥃 

IMG_4158.thumb.jpeg.5e70753c8cb447bf300b4dd90d0aa448.jpeg

• I like it 11

IMG_6102.thumb.jpeg.7a51a288e20446635be0da4e1c580e67.jpeg

My first bottle of this. I am enjoying it quite a bit.  But id probably enjoy anything right now😎

• I like it 8

1 hour ago, FasterHorses said:

IMG_6102.thumb.jpeg.7a51a288e20446635be0da4e1c580e67.jpeg

My first bottle of this. I am enjoying it quite a bit.  But id probably enjoy anything right now😎

Also, the perfect freezer bottle, after the fact...

• I like it 2

I picked up a JDSBBP yesterday.  135+ proof will be a new experience for me when I get around to opening it.  

For considerably less dinero, I also procured the fine decanter you see pictured below.  Half price Saturday at a local church wide rummage sale meant this lovely creature set me back a mere $2.50 American.  I know it's probably technically a wine decanter, but OF 100 sure looks perty in it nonetheless.  

IMG_20240407_190429.jpg

• I like it 10

18 hours ago, Kepler said:

That's the million dollar question isn't it?  I have not seen a definitive (blind) comparison between the MM101 and the MMCS.  Until someone (that I trust) does that, I'm not going to make any assumptions.   All I know is that I really, really enjoy MM101 every time I drink it, whereas MMCS requires my palate to be in a certain condition before it's 100% enjoyable.  I have no substantial idea why.  It might be because of the extra added water added in the 101.  Or, for all I know, the "special release" 101 might be a little bit older in the barrel.  Who knows?  I wish I did. 🤷‍♂️

This has been my experience.  I always enjoy MM1101.  Sometimes it takes awhile to figure out how to enjoy MMCS.  My most recent bottle 23-04 was just to astringent and hot so I have found adding water to mellow it out.   One difference for me is that in my area MM101 is usually $5 cheaper than MMCS.

• I like it 2

15 minutes ago, Thomm said:

I picked up a JDSBBP yesterday.  135+ proof will be a new experience for me when I get around to opening it.  

For considerably less dinero, I also procured the fine decanter you see pictured below.  Half price Saturday at a local church wide rummage sale meant this lovely creature set me back a mere $2.50 American.  I know it's probably technically a wine decanter, but OF 100 sure looks perty in it nonetheless.  

IMG_20240407_190429.jpg

That's a really cool decanter! It would probably make any whiskey look good.  Nothing like purchasing whiskey paraphenalia at a church rummage sale. I wonder if any bongs were sold at church or school rummage sales back in the '60s and '70s.  😀

• I like it 3

3 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

It isn’t very often that a trip to the store to grab a gallon of milk and a couple of other items proves to be so bountiful. Every once in a while……… 😁 🙏 😇

As @GeeTenwould say...it's better to be lucky than good!

• I like it 2

IMG_4158.thumb.jpeg.5e70753c8cb447bf300b4dd90d0aa448.jpeg

Wait, what?  I would be more tempted to blend the BT and ER.  Oh, who am I kidding?  I would just drink them as they are. 😎  Let us know if you are running out of room on your bar.  I am sure more than a few of us would be have to "store" some of your bottles for you.  😉

Did you end up having to go back to the store to pick up milk? 😀

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 2

12 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

Did you end up having to go back to the store to pick up milk? 😀

We mostly use the divide and conquer system. My wife took the cart to grab the other stuff, and I headed to the liquor department. 😊

• I like it 1

22 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

Wait, what?  I would be more tempted to blend the BT and ER.  

BT and ER?  What about BT and Taylor? Now you’ve got me second and triple guessing myself. 🤦🏻 Thanks a lot @mbroo5880i.  Here, hold this for me.  😏

• I like it 1

2 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

BT and ER?  What about BT and Taylor? Now you’ve got me second and triple guessing myself. 🤦🏻 Thanks a lot @mbroo5880i.  Here, hold this for me.  😏

I like CEHT enough to not blend it.  I prefer it, by far, over BT and ER.  I understand that BT and ER are the same proof but their ages are different.  I used to always prefer ER over BT, but the last several bottle of ER have been meh, while BT seems to have stepped up a little.  

Personally, I would just enjoy each for what they are.  

If I were wanting to experiment a little, I would be curious about blending BT with Baby Saz.  A small pour or two just out of curiosity.  Of course, if you wanted to proof up, Ritt BIB and BT.  I blended Ritt BIB with OGD 114 and really enjoyed it. 

• I like it 3

3 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

If I were wanting to experiment a little, I would be curious about blending BT with Baby Saz. 

Some might chastise me, but I’ve all but given up on ryes. I recently bought a bottle of Baby Saz for my nephew. It was on sale at Sam’s Club for $25.99. I decided to buy one for myself. I tried a couple of pours over a few days. No go. That bottle now belongs to @JerseyDon. What can I say? 🤷‍♂️

2 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Some might chastise me, but I’ve all but given up on ryes. I recently bought a bottle of Baby Saz for my nephew. It was on sale at Sam’s Club for $25.99. I decided to buy one for myself. I tried a couple of pours over a few days. No go. That bottle now belongs to @JerseyDon. What can I say? 🤷‍♂️

@fishnbowljoe no need to say anything.  If you don't like it, you move on.  However, I would suggest that maybe using a low rye straight rye to increase the rye content of a low rye straight bourbon might make it more intriguing.  You might be creating MashBill #2 on the cheap.  😉

It is all kabuki bourbon theory.  😀

• I like it 3

3 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

That's a really cool decanter! It would probably make any whiskey look good.  Nothing like purchasing whiskey paraphenalia at a church rummage sale. I wonder if any bongs were sold at church or school rummage sales back in the '60s and '70s.  😀

At our last church festival, my wife took our son to play some games while I volunteered.  Later when I caught up with them, my son was excited to tell me he won a "vase" in the dime toss.  They showed me one of those tall Pilsner beer glasses.

• I like it 4

2 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

If you can get your hands on a eht rye.. you might like it. One of my newest favorites. Ive had plenty of ryes including baby saz that i have disliked so much ive ended up giving them away. Would almost pay secondary for eht rye though.. its that good. 

• I like it 1

53 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

If you can get your hands on a eht rye.. you might like it. One of my newest favorites. Ive had plenty of ryes including baby saz that i have disliked so much ive ended up giving them away. Would almost pay secondary for eht rye though.. its that good.

I would echo FasterHorses that EHT rye is a bit different animal and maybe you should give that one a chance.  For me anyway, baby Saz is not indicative of the best that straight rye has to offer, in no way, shape or form.  I'd generally not recommend baby Saz as a standout product of the genre.  Try something with more rye or malt content.  

Have you ever tried Old Forester Rye?  To me, that's a much more interesting pour than baby saz. Ymmv

• I like it 4

Finally found the Rye! 65.5%!!

IMG_6849.jpeg

• I like it 8

19 hours ago, jvd99 said:

Finally found the Rye! 65.5%!!

IMG_6849.jpeg

You will not be disappointed.

It's finally starting to show up on a few more shelves around the Baltimore Metro area

• I like it 2

A bunch of stops around the Fort Worth area this morning.   My wallet told me to check up and head to the hotel.

IMG_1615.jpeg

• I like it 8

Seasonal Freezer Fodder...

freeze.thumb.jpg.6128b0d08cdb8decb1be030f6418d98e.jpg

• I like it 4

40 yrs of marriage paying off...

Didn't wanna, but went to TW with Mrs. Redd, anyway. Already had a buzz going from VOB90 freezer pours, but stopped to see my new friend Holly & she topped off my buzz with wheated samples. Moved on to the bourbon isle and grabbed a couple of interesting bottles. Talked with a rookie bourbonite and clued him in on a couple things. Another party honed in on our conversation and it became a TW camaraderie. 

Of course My Wife became impatient, grabbed the bottles from me, paid, moved to the car & called me to ask if I was done. "Sure, om my way" was the reply. Got home with this already paid for...

twok.thumb.jpg.c7bf2b5020e8618ec54118691ea2f4f5.jpg

Was never able to get the ET locally, so this is really a bonus; and soft red wheat, so good. What a Friday!!!

• I like it 10

Stopped by an out of the way store I'd been in once years ago (and noted they had several batches of ECBP at the time) but no such luck.  Their pricing also had gotten crazy on what they had but walked out with a BT - the first I think I've bought in 5+ years. No shortage of open bottles, but this used to be one of a few I'd consider as a 'daily drinker' before it got ridiculous to find.

• I like it 5