What did you purchase this Spring? (2024)

markandrex

2 hours ago, PaulO said:

So have those experienced the same price creep adjustment as the OWA.

Yessir. $79 yesterday

• I like it 1

On 4/23/2024 at 1:38 PM, b1gcountry said:

It's probably been 9 years since I last saw an er10 on the shelves. Where did you pick it up?

It was an online purchase.

I've been looking for W.B. Safell for a long time, and went on a drive over lunch, and found 3 bottles at my local liquor store!  I am a huge Wild Turkey fan.

I'm excited to open a bottle tonight!  Also, the store has some Woodford Reserve 121.2 on the shelf, so am tempted to make a return trip, we shall see.

IMG_8205.jpeg

• I like it 5

Well, we had to go to Sam’s Club today. 😉 What can I say? FWIW, they will be shared. 

IMG_4295.thumb.jpeg.d20e8f6bd41b69873dde382db82ef4da.jpegIMG_4297.thumb.jpeg.8f14c58252e282d71adfe682b934d712.jpeg

• I like it 9

4 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Well, we had to go to Sam’s Club today. 😉 What can I say? FWIW, they will be shared. 

IMG_4295.thumb.jpeg.d20e8f6bd41b69873dde382db82ef4da.jpegIMG_4297.thumb.jpeg.8f14c58252e282d71adfe682b934d712.jpeg

Wife bought one of those some time back.  It is pretty good.  I even drink it.😋

• I like it 1

These two are never passes if at, or near, MSRP.  The Daniel’s is simply magnificent (and, not always available here), and the 1792 BIB is my favorite in that Barton line.  

IMG_5118.jpeg

Edited by smokinjoe
  • I like it 7

Picked up a 1 Liter bottle of BT, a Larceny BP B5/23, a EC BP B523, and an OF 1920. Pretty decent prices on all of it for SWFL. 

Edited by yobber76
  • I like it 1

Well, I finished a bottle of BT last night. Since we were out again today, and I heard a rumor……😁

IMG_4307.jpeg

• I like it 3

We've been doing good not buying bottles this year, but my PEO buys a barrel of Jack to mark significant milestones, so I had to get one. It still feels strange having a bottle of whiskey on my desk in the office.

20240424_131440.thumb.jpg.a2981b09255b4f182439038610da0132.jpg

• I like it 3

A very rare appearance in the purchases thread. The annual KY trip yielded a Yellowstone SB select from the giftshop. There seems to always be one of those single barrels that I taste and can't leave without. This year was a delicious 102p. I normally  do not buy NDP products and while they claim its house distilled these days, it wasn't long ago that Barton and or HH were rumored to be the source. Bottom line...I don't know who made it but I damn sure loved it and will savor every drop. If it IS Limestone branch then WELL DONE!! if its either Barton or HH,  I am already a fan of both and one could do a hell of a lot worse than those 2.

• I like it 2

I also picked up a KY exclusive gem in the form of Copper & Kings bourbon. Shortly before the trip I heard about the Louisville brandy distiller (which I have visited in past years and enjoyed their output) sourcing 15yr HH, 10yr Barton and 5yr BBC in the percentages of 12% HH/24%Barton and 64%BBC which then aged for a year in C&K apple brandy barrels and NCF bottled at 111p. Well they had me at Barton...so I found this at the Bardstown Kroger marked down from 70ish SRP to 40 bucks and change. I got 2 and opened one at the GN where it was pretty well received, especially for 40 BUCKS!! 

I find this 12mos finishing worked very well and it has a really nice apple aroma and the palate is integrated nicely with those 3 bourbons. This is exactly what I look for these days, something different from what I already have, something delicious and preferably not at a ransom level price. I would have liked this just fine at the 60ish price I saw it for prior to purchase but at 40???....its a home run in my book. A damn tasty and fine addition to the bunker.

• I like it 1

Picked up a Bardstown Discovery #11 on the recommendation of a friend.  It's pricy, but I will be getting another.   Bardstown hits the mark on this one as well and it's another impressive batch in their Discovery series.  I noticed this one even has some of their own distillate in it.

IMG_6021.jpeg

• I like it 2

While in Bardstown last weekend, for 'The Spring Gathering' of our StraightBourbon.com folx, I scooped up a bottle of the latest 'Origin Series' BiB from BBC.    It's for a hopefully appreciative and discerning Bourbon aficionado: ME!  HA! 

(And, my S-i-L....and anybody else that wants a pour up here in SE Michigan.)   I've tried several of their offerings from their own stuff, and they've been reliably good pours.

• I like it 3

12 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

While in Bardstown last weekend, for 'The Spring Gathering' of our StraightBourbon.com folx, I scooped up a bottle of the latest 'Origin Series' BiB from BBC.    It's for a hopefully appreciative and discerning Bourbon aficionado: ME!  HA! 

(And, my S-i-L....and anybody else that wants a pour up here in SE Michigan.)   I've tried several of their offerings from their own stuff, and they've been reliably good pours.

Did you at least eat lunch there?  The food is fantastic.

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Did you at least eat lunch there?  The food is fantastic.

We did.   Gary had a hyooooooge serving of meat loaf, which he thoroughly enjoyed.   ...And, I've had excellent meals there in the past.   Unfortunately the grilled chicken sandwich I had that day was 'less than satisfying'.   I'll leave it at that.

• I like it 1

been taken a break from buying bottles lately, unless I get real tempted. The OF are liters and were on a good sale. I heard some interesting info about some recent bottles of WTKS and I ended up finding one at a small store by my house. If you can't zoom in on the label to see the warehouse it came from, it is a Camp Nelson barrel.

20240430_203252.jpg

• I like it 5

8 hours ago, Double C's said:

been taken a break from buying bottles lately, unless I get real tempted. The OF are liters and were on a good sale. I heard some interesting info about some recent bottles of WTKS and I ended up finding one at a small store by my house. If you can't zoom in on the label to see the warehouse it came from, it is a Camp Nelson barrel.

20240430_203252.jpg

What was the interesting info about KS you alluded to? A few years back the launch of Longbranch was rumored to have resulted in 10yr Turkey being incorporated into a few batches of 101. The story as I remember it goes; LBs  popularity at launch was greater than expected and strained 8 yr stocks originally destined for 101 so they made up the difference with some 10yr stock. That’s what I recall of the story which I believe started from some comments made by Bruce Russell.

3 hours ago, kcgumbohead said:

What was the interesting info about KS you alluded to? A few years back the launch of Longbranch was rumored to have resulted in 10yr Turkey being incorporated into a few batches of 101. The story as I remember it goes; LBs  popularity at launch was greater than expected and strained 8 yr stocks originally destined for 101 so they made up the difference with some 10yr stock. That’s what I recall of the story which I believe started from some comments made by Bruce Russell.

WT somewhat recently has used barrels from various Camp Nelson warehouses for some Kentucky Spirit bottlings. I do not know if this was common historically or if this is a newer thing. The particular bottle I bought yesterday came from CN-E and was dumped back in August 2023. This was the first WTKS bottle I have bought since they switched away from the fan tail bottle so I was not even thinking about looking out for these until I heard about the use of Camp Nelson barrels lingering out there in the wild. 

I did open the bottle last night to compare against an open RR SIB pick I have and the WTKS bottle has a noticeably more prominent spice kick to it that I don't usually get from WT products. I hope that the peppery spice mellows out some as the bottle opens up.

• I like it 2

22 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

I love BBC. The Discs and the Origin in particular. Had the Origin SFTB via barrel thief tour - delicious. And I echo the sentiments on the restaurants. Very good food.

• I like it 1

On 4/26/2024 at 5:56 PM, smokinjoe said:

These two are never passes if at, or near, MSRP.  The Daniel’s is simply magnificent (and, not always available here), and the 1792 BIB is my favorite in that Barton line.

You People are the ones who turned me on to the JD's. What a deal they are, both the TN whiskey and the rye. I burn a little incense candle for you all in tribute for the knowledge.

• I like it 1

On 4/26/2024 at 2:12 PM, Jazz Nut said:

I've been looking for W.B. Safell for a long time, and went on a drive over lunch, and found 3 bottles at my local liquor store!  I am a huge Wild Turkey fan.

Another one You People turned me on to. $50 in Denver and KL. Great stuff.

Grabbed this the other day. I think that I need to be done buying for the spring. Of course summer is pretty close.

The JEP a full proof point above the my 1st JEP purchase. We'll see...

20240424_115048.thumb.jpg.b1ce1156df78f4a13dd97169bfabe5b4.jpg

• I like it 2