Still Austin

BourbonGuy

A local is putting Still Austin on the shelf as something special.

There is Still Austin Straight Bourbon whiskey for $36

Still Austin Cask Strength Bourbon whiskey for $42.10

Still Austin Single Barrel Bourbon whiskey for $60

Anyone try any of these?  I put Still Austin in the search and not much came up.

Thanks

I like the CS. It's good (not great), shockingly so for a 2y. It usually goes for $50 to $55. A number of people here like it (and they tend to be picky in a good way), a quick search should confirm.

• I like it 1

Interesting.  I Typed Still Austin , not much came up.

I also did a Google search.  Of course, everyone on YouTube loves it.  I trust the members here before a YouTube vid

• I like it 5

I know that WhiskeyBlender does some picks (consulting) for them. I've had a few store picks that were good, nothing more than that though.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, LCWoody said:

I know that WhiskeyBlender does some picks (consulting) for them. I've had a few store picks that were good, nothing more than that though.

@BourbonGuy  @LCWoody @Anwalt So, I got hired on as Still Austin's Master Blender back in December 2013, before they even distilled a drop of whiskey (they officially opened in 2015). I've blended everything that they've ever released, and I also developed the mash bill for the regular stock. The regular releases, like what you posted @BourbonGuy, are at a minimum of 2 years old, but in practice tend to be in the 2.5 to 3.5 year old range, sometimes even older. As we scale up, that will of course change to older stock. 

That said, we also put out seasonal Bottled in Bond releases, which are a minimum of the legal requirement of 4 years old. The fall release of the High Rye Bourbon was 5+ years old. Finally, every month I also do a "Nancy's Pick" which is a single barrel, cask strength Bourbon from the oldest stock. As of June, all of the Nancy's Picks will be 6+ years old. 

For the long term game, I've got some 63 gallon barrels which I'm planning to release somewhere in the 8 to 12 year range. By having cooperage that is larger than the industry standard of 53 gallons and with 24 month or more yard seasoned staves, you get less evaporative loss and softer tannins in a hot and humid central TX environment. That means if you house the barrels in a cooler area in the warehouse, you can control the rate of maturation to a much finer degree. In this case, we want the maturation to be very long and slow in order to make it to the 8 to 12 year range. Who knows, maybe we can even push it to the 12 to 15 year range. Only time will tell. 

At any rate, I hope this helps you understand the whiskey a little better? We have what we call a "hundred year plan" at Still Austin, and it's going to take a little time for us to actualize those plans. 😜

Cheers! 🥃

Nancy

Edited by WhiskeyBlender
  • I like it 13

I believe @WhiskeyBlenderand @Keplercan provide the best insight.  I have had the CS and CS SiB and I really liked them.  I am looking forward to trying other products.  The CS SiB was a gift.  I bought the CS.  I paid $50 for the CS. The CS SiB is $80 at the local Total Wine. 

There are several reviews online on Google.

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 1

1 minute ago, mbroo5880i said:

I believe @WhiskeyBlenderand @Keplercan provide the best insight.  I have had the CS and CS SiB and I really liked them.  I am looking forward to trying other products.  The CS SiB was a gift.  I bought the CS.  I paid $50 for the CS. The CS SiB is $80 at the local Total Wine. 

There are several reviews online on Google.

Many thanks @mbroo5880i. I just wrote about this myself and gave a detailed account. Please check it out. Cheers! N. 😜🥃

• I like it 2

I've tried at least a dozen legit Texas bourbons, and Still Austin is by far the best one.  It's not a stretch to say it's the only even halfway decent one, as most Texan bourbons I have tried are beyond bad.  But Still Austin can stand up to the big boys in Kentucky.  I have The Musician, High Rye, Blue Corn, and Red Corn all open on my bar.  

• I like it 4

I've never tried Still Austin,  but with Nancy's imprimatur I'll have to try a bottle next time I see one.    LIke others,  I'm once bitten, twice shy when it comes to TX bourbon.    

• I like it 2

I'm a Still Austin fan and I certainly appreciate Nancy's insight and the information she provided.

Don't forget about their ryes.  The ones I've tried have been quite good especially considering the young age.  Although, in general, young rye usually tastes better than young bourbon to my palate.

• I like it 1

12 hours ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

@BourbonGuy  @LCWoody @Anwalt So, I got hired on as Still Austin's Master Blender back in December 2013, before they even distilled a drop of whiskey (they officially opened in 2015). I've blended everything that they've ever released, and I also developed the mash bill for the regular stock. The regular releases, like what you posted @BourbonGuy, are at a minimum of 2 years old, but in practice tend to be in the 2.5 to 3.5 year old range, sometimes even older. As we scale up, that will of course change to older stock. 

That said, we also put out seasonal Bottled in Bond releases, which are a minimum of the legal requirement of 4 years old. The fall release of the High Rye Bourbon was 5+ years old. Finally, every month I also do a "Nancy's Pick" which is a single barrel, cask strength Bourbon from the oldest stock. As of June, all of the Nancy's Picks will be 6+ years old. 

For the long term game, I've got some 63 gallon barrels which I'm planning to release somewhere in the 8 to 12 year range. By having cooperage that is larger than the industry standard of 53 gallons and with 24 month or more yard seasoned staves, you get less evaporative loss and softer tannins in a hot and humid central TX environment. That means if you house the barrels in a cooler area in the warehouse, you can control the rate of maturation to a much finer degree. In this case, we want the maturation to be very long and slow in order to make it to the 8 to 12 year range. Who knows, maybe we can even push it to the 12 to 15 year range. Only time will tell. 

At any rate, I hope this helps you understand the whiskey a little better? We have what we call a "hundred year plan" at Still Austin, and it's going to take a little time for us to actualize those plans. 😜

Cheers! 🥃

Nancy

Thanks for clarifying. I did not know your involvement (role) was that deep in SA.

On 4/3/2024 at 1:42 PM, BourbonGuy said:

A local is putting Still Austin on the shelf as something special.

There is Still Austin Straight Bourbon whiskey for $36

Still Austin Cask Strength Bourbon whiskey for $42.10

Still Austin Single Barrel Bourbon whiskey for $60

Anyone try any of these?  I put Still Austin in the search and not much came up.

Thanks

Those prices are pretty good when comparing to what I pay for Still Austin at Total Wine in my area. The bourbon is solid for not being as old as what people are accustomed to when thinking about legacy distilleries. The Texas climate for the most part ages whiskey much faster. I have an open bottle of the cask strength and really like it. To my palate it has some similarities to a Penelope Architect store pick that I also have. I find their profile perfect for sitting around a fire on a cool evening and enjoying a pour or two of a good bourbon.

@WhiskeyBlender is it safe to assume your monthly picks are only released at the distillery? Curiosity has me wanting to try some Still Austin that is older than what is in the regular cask strength bottling.  

Post Covid to Still Austin distillery before SECs @ Texas A&M.  Carrying the "Covid20" in my face!  🥳

Still Austin.jpg

😋

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 8

1 hour ago, GeeTen said:

Post Covid to Still Austin distillery before SECs @ Texas A&M.  Carrying the "Covid20" in my face!  🥳

😋

Only you Frank. 👍

• I like it 3

Is there a back story about the lady who is featured on many of their labels.

18 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Still Austin.jpg

😋

Nice Frank!! Is that a Nancy’s pick you are savoring there!! 3ish weeks to the draft QB or trade down? I’m looking QB.

• I like it 2

Looks like the Straight Bourbon, Cask Strength Bourbon, Cask Strength Single Barrel Bourbon and Straight Rye are all available to me locally.  I've been eyeing them up but hadn't heard much about them.  @WhiskeyBlender's involvement and @Double C's recommendation gives me comfort in taking that chance.

I'm leaning toward trying a Cask Strength vs the Cask Strength Single Barrel to maybe get a more "representative" feel for the brand and not worry about single barrel variance as much.  Locally its going for 49.99 while the single barrel version is 79.99.

1 hour ago, Clueby said:

Looks like the Straight Bourbon, Cask Strength Bourbon, Cask Strength Single Barrel Bourbon and Straight Rye are all available to me locally.  I've been eyeing them up but hadn't heard much about them.  @WhiskeyBlender's involvement and @Double C's recommendation gives me comfort in taking that chance.

I'm leaning toward trying a Cask Strength vs the Cask Strength Single Barrel to maybe get a more "representative" feel for the brand and not worry about single barrel variance as much.  Locally its going for 49.99 while the single barrel version is 79.99.

You should be able to sample the single barrel store pick to get an idea of the flavor profile, that is what I did. I like higher proof bourbon so I opted for the CS version. Plus you can always play around with adding drops of water to see how the flavors change/open up at lower proofs to give you an idea of how the regular offering would taste. 

3 hours ago, Clueby said:

2 hours ago, Double C's said:

You should be able to sample the single barrel store pick to get an idea of the flavor profile, that is what I did. I like higher proof bourbon so I opted for the CS version. Plus you can always play around with adding drops of water to see how the flavors change/open up at lower proofs to give you an idea of how the regular offering would taste. 

@Clueby I personally didn't care for their standard bourbon (the Musician); it's not bad but not my thing.  The price is very reasonable so I don't regret the purchase.

I did enjoy the standard CS so that one I can recommend.

As @Double C's mentioned you should look for a sample taste of the private pick single barrel.  I tasted an excellent one at the store.  It would have been worth $80 to me, but I just was not looking for another 80 dollar bourbon at the time.

I also recommend their Bottled in Bond series if you happen to come across them.

I have not tried any of their ryes (yet).

My honest and open feedback on the brand is that I think their marketing is a bit ahead of the quality of the liquid.  They are obviously very well funded (with lots of marketing behind them) but I have zero knowledge of the company or what group owns them.  However, I do know that they hired a very skilled and trusted master blender 😀, so I am excited/optimistic about their future.  I think they are going places.

• I like it 5

On 4/4/2024 at 3:30 PM, GeeTen said:

Still Austin.jpg

😋

Frank, when you say Covid20, you are talking about the 20+ bottles on the shelf behind you, right?  Looking good friend.  No need to hide the tasting glass in your hand.  We knew you were doing more than looking. 😜

• I like it 1