Pennsylvania "heritage " whiskeys

BourbonGoose

Just for fun, I posed some bottles of what I consider, some of Pennsylvania's heritage whiskeys with their modern counterparts. It's a shame the original distilleries are no longer open. Enjoy.

20240331_071122.thumb.jpg.b9d9e34692827b5a4b45ab8f3337545c.jpg

Jeff

• I like it 4

1 hour ago, BourbonGoose said:

Just for fun, I posed some bottles of what I consider, some of Pennsylvania's heritage whiskeys with their modern counterparts. It's a shame the original distilleries are no longer open. Enjoy.

20240331_071122.thumb.jpg.b9d9e34692827b5a4b45ab8f3337545c.jpg

Jeff

Cool stuff!

Nice! I’d love to hear tasting descriptions on those PA ryes!

Posted (edited)
On 4/7/2024 at 2:05 PM, Jazz June said:

Nice! I’d love to hear tasting descriptions on those PA ryes!

I'm waiting for better weather to enjoy outside with some friends and cigars. I'll post when I have a review. I'm waiting to try that Overholt, looks good, as close to an original PA rye besides Dad's Hat.

Jeff

Edited by BourbonGoose
  • I like it 2

As a western Pennsylvanian, it’s such a shame that we haven’t honored brands like these and made our own whiskey trail. So much amazing history that’s just been discarded, and the modern counterparts, mostly trash.

There are more and better ryes on the market than ever before,  including  Pennsy or "monongohela" style ryes that recall historic rye recipes and mashbills before the "barely legal" Kentucky-style variety became so dominant.    PA distillers like Dads Hat are now offering fully aged takes on historic ryes,  and I love the new trend in malted ryes.   

Meanwhile,  I was a work event last night and sipped Rittenhouse Rye most of the evening.    I can't think of a tastier whiskey for just 25 bucks a bottle.   

Edited by Jazzhead
  • I like it 3

On 4/18/2024 at 8:45 AM, Jazzhead said:

There are more and better ryes on the market than ever before,  including  Pennsy or "monongohela" style ryes that recall historic rye recipes and mashbills before the "barely legal" Kentucky-style variety became so dominant.    PA distillers like Dads Hat are now offering fully aged takes on historic ryes,  and I love the new trend in malted ryes.   

Meanwhile,  I was a work event last night and sipped Rittenhouse Rye most of the evening.    I can't think of a tastier whiskey for just 25 bucks a bottle.   

Agreed...the RR is a staple on our bar and flies under the radar.    The only other whiskey that comes to mind that delivers so much for ~ $25.00 is OGD BiB, which also flies under the radar.    

The Dad's Hat Pre-Prohibition style rye is amazing