Samuel Smith's Old Brewery Pale Ale

Paradox
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Talking about Pale Ales... At Jeff's suggestion I bought a bottle of Samuel Smith's Old Brewery Pale Ale a few weeks back. Tonight me and the mrs. opened it up. I was really pleased with this pale ale. A very smooth drinker without a whole lot of bitterness but still alot of flavor. I didn't like SNPA when it was all the craze back in the 90's while stationed in Sacramento but I really should give it another chance now that I am broadening my horizons. toast.gif

post-87-1448981155005_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

After trying their Pale Ale that Jeff suggested and liking it, I figured why not try their other brews as well. Last weekend I stopped in a small shop somewhere in NJ and picked up this bottle of Samuel Smith's Winter Welcome Ale (2003-20004). This beer had an aroma that I really liked and thought was unique. For some reason I remember smelling it before but couldn't place it. Then I thought that maybe it resembled some Czechoslovakian beer my mom bought me several months back. Anyway, this was a fantastically crisp beer with again lots of flavor and just enough hops, but not too much to become overpowering. I've got a few more Sam Smiths to try but so far I am pleased.

post-87-14489811558633_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

If I recall correctly this is the first Brown Ale I've had since I had the Brooklyn Breweries Brown Ale. I have been looking forward to trying this ale for some time and in the end was pleased with it but not as much as Brooklyn Breweries version. I really didn't sense as much flavor components going on in this one, especially when compared to Samuel Smith's Pale Ale and their Celebration Ale. Don't get me wrong, it was good ale but not quite what I was hoping for. I'd sure take their celebration ale again though! I found their brown ale to be a bit thin, no real hoppiness, no maltiness not a lot of anything except a bit of mildly roasted ingredients. Oh well, this'll just make me go out and buy another case of BB's brown ale all the quicker! grin.gif

post-87-14489811604502_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This afternoon, I had a Samuel Smith's "Tadcaster" Taddy Porter. I had never had any porter, before, so I didn't know what to expect except that I knew it would be thick and heavy.

The taste was strongly reminiscent of Guinness stout. It was a pleasantly good brew, but I doubt that I will try it again.

Tim

I feel the same as you Tim that I doubt I will be having this one again. Stacy and I tried it about 2 weeks ago and although we thought it was not bad it wasn't a stand out either. As I remember it was a little thick but not early as much as other porters I have had; almost 'thin'. Decent flavor but again mild compared to most other porters I have had. I thought I had a pic of it on my laptop but I cannot find the one I took rihgt now. Probably it is still on my camera... I'll post it if it is in fact on the card.

I've got a pic on my camera from when I drank it the other night (just never got around to posting notes on it yet) and since I've been out of town all day I cannot upload pics while I am surfing from the cell. That doesn't shock me about MJ. While I can agree with some of his comments I disagree with jsut as many. But I think thats how it is for most of us on reviews of all sorts... We each have different tastes and views. toast.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.