OGD 16yr

kcgumbohead

I was shocked, SHOCKED! the see the TTB filing for a 16 yr OGD. I guess with the recent interest Beam has afforded Old Overholt it shouldn’t be that surprising but to me it was, I figured the BH label was where they pointed all the tarted up OGD. I am delighted they may finally pay some more attention to this historic brand. The periodic “demise of 114 rumors “ had gotten pretty old. Beyond a label approval I know nothing, release date, price, back story as to how the hell this came about?  anyone with anything to add, enlighten? it would be great to hear. I am VERY interested in this and it’s made bourbon a bit more interesting to me along with some other recent releases or to be releases which I am very happy about as the whole thing had started to feel a bit stale to me, not due to any shortage of releases but because the majority held almost zero interest for me, 2024 is thankfully reversing that. My biggest concern is price, if this is in the stratosphere then I’m out and by that I mean 100 or much over that. What say ye fans of OGD? anybody got an ear to the ground and picking up any tidbits on this one?

• I like it 5

First time I've heard of it.  Interesting.  Beam has a lot of well aged stock (a lot of stock period) so I'm not very surprised.

• I like it 1

This, if it ever actually does come to market, would be one I'd interested in tasting.   16-years is quite a long time in wood, though.   

But, if aged artfully, and proofed at something interesting (100 or more), this could get me to open my wallet, while many other "new" products from the Bourbon World have failed to get me to do so, at the prices they've been asking.

• I like it 2

I decided to look at what Knob Creek 15 year and 18 year were going for.  I figured those are the Beam products of similar age to compare.  Of course, if a very small amount is released, we know what will happen $$$.  Only hope it's not low proof like BH.

Honestly, I think OGD B.I.B. with an 8 year age statement and NCF would be a home run.

• I like it 3

8 hours ago, PaulO said:

I decided to look at what Knob Creek 15 year and 18 year were going for.  I figured those are the Beam products of similar age to compare.  Of course, if a very small amount is released, we know what will happen $$$.  Only hope it's not low proof like BH.

Honestly, I think OGD B.I.B. with an 8 year age statement and NCF would be a home run.

That would be interesting. The 16 yr label floating around out there on the inter webs says 100p and unfiltered which I assume covers chill filtering, I certainly hope so.  I also agree as Rich said, 16yrs is a very long time in wood, too long for my taste based on any ultra aged bourbons I’ve yet tried. Given the OGD branding my hope is that they keep the OGD profile in mind while evaluating those 16 yr stocks, again the label notes allude to just that. 

• I like it 1

I have always wanted them to do more with this mash bill and this looks very cool. I too am concerned about price and availability - I'll be surprised if it is less than $150. They also just cleared a label for a Baker's High Rye, which does not explicitly say it is the OGD/BH mash bill, but certainly seems like it could be. That one may be more attainable and will likely be significantly cheaper (albeit younger as well).

• I like it 1

Chuck Cowdery had stated in the past that when Beam purchased ND and the OGD brand, that they retained not only the mash bill, but also the yeast.  This was told to him by many at Beam, including Booker Noe himself.  Mashbill retention is certainly sustainable in principal I guess, but the yeast retention would seem more difficult.  I know this because I’m a plastic salesman…🤥. Does anyone know if either or both the original ND mashbill and yeast are still being used in OGD?  

• I like it 4

You're not a plastic salesman, you sell condoms...

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, troyce said:

Ahhh!   To have the unflagging loyalty of friends like this, eh?!?! 😜 smokinjoe, you must be livin' right! 🤔😇

• I like it 2

The GA goat prefers condoms.  Just sayin'.  It actually says "bleat."  While one might presume this means "help", it really means the same as "bleep."

I can only imagine the price and availability.  If it is available and I can find it at 100 proof for $25, smack daddy will be all over it. 🤪

• I like it 1

On 6/2/2024 at 12:46 AM, PaulO said:

THIS!   I'd much rather buy an affordable product with an ideal age statement and NCF,  than a 16-year bottle that's likely to be over-oaked and ridiculously expensive.  

• I like it 4

On 6/11/2024 at 4:17 PM, troyce said:

If that is so, he should know about “time in wood” issues!🤣🤣🤣

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, Jazzhead said:

THIS!   I'd much rather buy an affordable product with an ideal age statement and NCF,  than a 16-year bottle that's likely to be over-oaked and ridiculously expensive.  

Also agree, but sadly that's not the kind of new product we are going to get from any of the legacy distilleries. High age statements and high proof are where the money is, so that's what they are pushing out.

• I like it 1

Honestly, I think putting a 16 year age statement is just about marketing a $150+ label.

I would be much happier to hear about something along the lines of the standard KC, except the OGD mash bill.

• I like it 5

3 hours ago, markandrex said:

If that is so, he should know about “time in wood” issues!🤣🤣🤣

“That’s what she said!”  😝

5 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

“That’s what she said!”  😝

At 16 years, I think he should seek medical help immediately.  She probably can’t say or do much after that duration!😥😳😥

Back on topic, I enjoy several higher aged bourbons when the palate is in the mood.  I’m in if this hits the market.  

Edited by markandrex
  • I like it 2

On 6/7/2024 at 8:37 AM, smokinjoe said:

Chuck Cowdery had stated in the past that when Beam purchased ND and the OGD brand, that they retained not only the mash bill, but also the yeast.  This was told to him by many at Beam, including Booker Noe himself.  Mashbill retention is certainly sustainable in principal I guess, but the yeast retention would seem more difficult.  I know this because I’m a plastic salesman…🤥. Does anyone know if either or both the original ND mashbill and yeast are still being used in OGD?  

I too recall Chucks statements regarding yeast and I think that’s an important aspect of OGD, granted the mashbill is significant but so to IMO, is the yeast. No offense to JB fans as the following is simply my experience. I am one of those that is sensitive to Beam yeast in younger expressions JBW and JBB though it’s significantly better to me at 8 vs 4yrs and I don’t find the off-putting element at all in KC9. I say that because I avoided OGD for a long time fearing a similar reaction to the bib as I have to JBW. When I learned that a different yeast was used and finally tasted OGD, there was no question for me that the makeup was significantly different (thanks Troyce!!!). I love OGD BIBand 114, it’s right alongside 4R and WT for me, if they weren’t using a different yeast I cannot imagine that being the case. This goes back to when I was 18/19 and tried bourbon for the first time. JD and JB were the initial 2 and I became a lifelong JD fan at that point, each and EVERY exposure to JBW since that time and across many years resulted in the same reaction, I couldn’t dump or spit it out fast enough, and that was LONG before I knew of mashbills or yeasts, and it has occurred each and every time. I liken it to the COKE vs Pepsi debate. COKE? I choose it 100% of the time, Pepsi……well if that’s my only option, I’m drinking water. No debate the products are well made and high quality, but the resulting flavor, regardless of the quality of the ingredients and processes responsible for the end product, result in an end product I find unpalatable. ALL THAT to say, as an OGD fan I have zero reservations that a different yeast is being used for OGD

On the 16 yr front, I hope it’s just the first volley in a reawakening of the OGD brand which I also hope will result in other expressions like the 8yr NCF at a reasonable price mentioned in a previous post because that 16 is likely to be priced at an unsavory price point.

Maybe Chuck still checks in here and could add something to the OGD discussion?

• I like it 2

I fear the OGD 16 will be beyond my budget... but I want it!  I want it bad! 😂 🥰😋

• I like it 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/17/2024 at 6:11 PM, MyBrainOnWhiskey said:

I fear the OGD 16 will be beyond my budget... but I want it!  I want it bad! 😂 🥰😋

This is what happens when Your Brain is On Whiskey. 😜

• I like it 2

7 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

This is what happens when Your Brain is On Whiskey. 😜

🤦🏻‍♂️

• I like it 3

Shared a wee dram of plain OGD '85 last night with a good friend.  WOW - they made some great bourbon back in the day, IMHO!  😋

• I like it 6

On 6/13/2024 at 9:29 PM, kcgumbohead said:

On the 16 yr front, I hope it’s just the first volley in a reawakening of the OGD brand which I also hope will result in other expressions like the 8yr NCF at a reasonable price mentioned in a previous post because that 16 is likely to be priced at an unsavory price point.

No reason JB can't do both... a once-a-year OGD16 (similar to how they release the KC18) and an 8yr NCF shelfer. 

Regarding pricing for the OGD16, I expect an MSRP similar to or less than the KC18.  It doesn't make sense that it would be priced above the KC18.  Doesn't mean they wouldn't do it, but it would be a curious move 🤔.  I'd be very willing to pay $150.  My biggest concern is that regardless of MSRP it will only be available on secondary at ridiculous prices and I'll never see it on the shelf at retail.  If so, oh well.  I'm not inclined to chase overpriced whiskey.

As for an OGD114 8yr NCF reasonably priced shelfer, I'm all for it. 🥳   

• I like it 3