buffalo trace

empire
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Trying to find out if anyone knows if you can get buffalo trace in the U.K.? And what the taste is like?

Thanks Whiskey Wiking,

I have heard allot about that, it's hard to get any here,(apart from London) so will order a couple!

Trying to find out if anyone knows if you can get buffalo trace in the U.K.? And what the taste is like?

I've bought it in Sainsbury's and they sell it at my local off licence in Bristol.

My favourite Bourbon.

Cheers,

B.

Bamber your a star mate!! I had no idea, me being a Tesco's man! I will get down there at the weekend. Do you know if they have the eagle rare?

The Sainsbury's I get BT from is the one in Bristol near Bristol parkway and the Frenchay campus of UWE - its a big one and has some great Scotch as well.

I've seen Knob Creek, Rebel Yell, and WT 8yr old 101 in * Safeway * supermarkets. These are all really good, especially the WT - my life was incomplete until I tried this one smile.gif

Good luck and cheers,

Bamber.

No eagle rare frown.gif

... I plan to order some next week off the net.

I have seen lots of the Knob Creek around, haven't got round to trying it yet. WT is very good, tried it first time about 2 years ago and it was great. Having a look on this forum makes me want to go out to the States and get hold of some of these, lots of ones I've never heard of. U.K. is quite poor for choice on these don't you think?

They are lucky - especially with the price - but thewhiskyexchange has some great stuff and drinkfinder.co.uk is also pretty good.

The rest of Europe and Australia have a much tougher time of it.

When your next in London check out the Vintage House on Old Compton Street (nr Leicester square).

Getting back to BT - this was the whisky that swung me from being a Scotch drinker who liked Bourbon to a Bourbon drinker who likes Scotch. Definitely worth trying.

Cheers,

Bamber.

Nice one Bamber, Cheers! I have enjoyed the bourbon for awhile, but has only been recently that I've decided to look outside the usual Jim Beam etc, first heard of BT in a bartender mag and have heard nothing but good reviews since then, so I am keen to taste, how does taste compare to JB?

To our British friends, I recommend Milroy in Greek Street, Soho, even closer to Leicester Square than Vintage House. Milroy has in recent years had an excellent U.S. whiskey selection including a number of straight ryes. There is another liquor store on Old Compton whose name escapes me, on the north side of the street like Vintage House, also with an interesting selection (I have seen Johnny Drum there). Between these 3 Soho outlets many of the most interesting bourbons and ryes are represented.

Gary

how does taste compare to JB?

Very very different. Much more rye and citrus character (BT), none of that oily licorice (JB). I'm warming to JB black (after enjoying Booker's a great deal) but JB is not my cup of tea really.

With regards Milroys - great selection but complete rip off.

Stagg 2003 - £105 = $193 (they are now out of stock)

Sazerac - £80 = $ 147 (this is quite outrageous).

Milroy's is kind of snobby but the guy knows his booze, whereas in the vintage house you are on your own - they seem to know very little about American whisky - but they are friendly.

Another shop in London www.coventgardenwhiskyshop.co.uk (I've not been there).

Also check this link:

http://www.dcs.ed.ac.uk/home/jhb/whisky/foreign/uk/shops.html

Anyway cheers,

Bamber.

Yea, know what you are saying there, I don't like that snobby attitude either. I don't mind the occasional drop of JB black, but doesn't have that maple flavour that I really like, was hoping BT was more like that, interesting what you say about the citrus angle with it, I look forward to trying it. Thanks for links by the way.

The last time I was at Milroy's (a couple of years ago) I found the people very nice and approachable. The manager at the time hailed from Newcastle; he was most helpful and informative, and also happened to know about real ale and CAMRA which are other interests of mine. When visiting any shop I tend not to show "how much" I know, I just go with the flow because I like to see what the vendors think of whisky, how they present it to customers, how they view the industry, etc. I found Milroy's first rate in these respects.

As for prices, there I can't comment as much. Of course, London can be high-priced. smile.gif I recall seeing good values in London here and there. In the Tesco in High Street Kensington (of all places) there was great pricing on Connemara from Ireland. Oddbins has offered, and still may, excellent own-label malts, designated by region, that were good value (the so-called coloured label series). As I recall, some prices at Milroy's were good, some seemed high, but then all bourbon is imported of course to the U.K...

Gary

I don't know if you can find either of these, but my two favorites that come to mind for maple flavor/aroma are Elijah Craig 12-year old and George Dickel No. 12 (not a bourbon, but a Tennessee Sour Mash Whisky, which is very similar to bourbon).

Tim

I will keep an eye out for either of those, just found a shop that sells Bulleit down the road from where I work, I wondered if it's worth it as seems very expensive at £40.

The last time I was at Milroy's (a couple of years ago) I found the people very nice and approachable. The manager at the time hailed from Newcastle;

[snip]

As I recall, some prices at Milroy's were good, some seemed high, but then all bourbon is imported of course to the U.K...

This makes me feel rather sad and means that I definitely wont be going back there again. Sure he knew his stuff but I felt like he did not like myself and my friend spoiling the ultra middle class atmosphere of his little shop.

As for the prices check this:

http://www.shop-lareserve.co.uk/La_Reserve__American_Whiskey_152.html

These are the highest prices I have seen bar none.

The scotch prices are little better.

If I seem bitter, forgive because I am. I was really looking forward to visiting this shop and had already preordered £150 worth of whisky. I rarely get a chance to talk to someone face to face about something I really enjoy and he had no time for me.

hot.gif

Anyway I need a drink soapbox.gif

I will keep an eye out for either of those, just found a shop that sells Bulleit down the road from where I work, I wondered if it's worth it as seems very expensive at £40.

Too much - normally around £ 22 - 26

Nice whisky though smile.gif

Cheers,

Bamber.

empire: Buffalo Trace is basically the brand of KSBW that has opened my eyes to bourbons in general and made me want to learn more. I have my parents to thank for this because they visit close friends who retired not long ago to the Louisville area. Last year they went on the BT distillery tour and came back with cases of the stuff and gave much of it away to the family as Christmas presents. This went over very well, me included! yum.gif

I didn't know bourbon from scotch or anything else until recently (drank Jack Daniel's on occasion and mixed it into rather disgusting concoctions at that). In lieu of providing my own tasting notes, which I wouldn't trust for my total lack of experience with such things, I'll quote the short summation blurb on BT from a Wine & Spirits magazine article (June 2004, p. 29): "...[H]as an assertive aroma of vanilla and dried fruit; it's rounded and balanced, with a clear corn sweetness. ..." The adjective I think most needs to be added to this would be 'smooth'.

Thanks for that Bourbaki, I went on a mission to find it on the weekend but still can't seem to find it, I know I could find it on the web but I would rather find a store that has a plentifull supply. Still, the hunting is half the fun.

Sorry to inform you but as far as I know it is not available in the UK. For that matter, it is not available in many states in the US. There just isn't enough to go around!! This is what Mark Brown tells me, and he is the CEO of Buffalo Trace. As for the taste, this is a world class bourbon. Very fruity, with a slight earthy taste. This is like a fruit basket all mingled together. There is no bad taste and the after-taste is just wonderful. This is on my top 5 list, probably No. 2- no!! make that NO 1. It doesn't get any better than this. It has been a while since I have been on the internet, but if you ever make it to the bourbon festival look me up. My name is Marvin, and I can assure you I will have a bottle of Buffalo Trace to share with you.

Cheers,

Marvin

Weird, earlier post by Bamber said he found it at his supermarket. I can imagine that there might not be allot of it, but there has to be some somewhere out here?! If not I guess I will be forced to buy it off the web.

empire, I would recommend making sure you aren't overlooking a bottling or two in your familar haunts close to home. There are a number of bourbons in the price range of BT and even some below that are really good value for the money.

You could right, I just wanted to try the BT after everything I read about it, that said, I'm still new to the Bourboun game. I've tried WT, all JB's, what do you suggest?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.