Mellow Corn

Bamber
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Funny label very yellow and oily but really enjoyed it.

You can tell its not spent long in the wood but it still has that Heaven Hill taste.

Hmmm its 9.30 am here and I find myself fancying a glass - must be all that corn smile.gif

I think its definitely worth a try - if only to really help appreciate what makes up the corn content of Bourbon.

Cheers,

Bamber.

• 3 weeks later...

I had some last night again actually and it was ok.

You just have to be in the mood for it. Most people I've given a shot to think it is horrible. Those that do like it tend to be people who've had a lot of American whisky and are interested in tasting for its own sake.

Bottom line is its different but still whisky and for me that's enough to try it (especially as its pretty cheap).

Cheers,

B.

Straight corn is very instructive as it shows just how much the barrel contributes to a bourbon or other straight whiskey. Unfortunately, most corn whiskey is not as good as it could be. I think it's deliberately rough, because that's what people expect. They want the "white lightning" effect. If you've ever tasted a good bourbon white dog, especially a wheater, it's almost like an eau de vie.

I got that inpression too - especially given the rather gaudy packaging. I'd also be interested in trying an aged corn whisky. There's one I've seen called 'Platte Valley' - Have you tried it by any chance ? Apparently its 3YO.

Cheers,

B.

Is your Mellow Corn the Bottled in Bond? If it is then it is 4 years old but aged in used cooperage. It is a very good corn whiskey.

Mike Veach

All bonded whiskey has to be at least 4 years old. I did a tasting last weekend for a fund raising event for two historical houses here in Jefferson County where we compared the different styles of American Whiskey. Mellow corn was the corn whiskey I used. Larry Kass from Heaven Hill was there and told us that it was four years old but aged in used cooperage. I found the whiskey to be pretty good with lots of sweet "carmel corn" flavor. Several of the people in the tasting actually liked it the best of all the products we tasted. Just for the record we tasted the following products:

Tradtional Bourbon with rye - Old Forester 100 proof.

Wheated Bourbon - Weller Antique 107

Tennessee Whisky - George Dickel No. 12

Rye Whiskey - Old Overholt 80 proof

Corn Whiskey - Mellow Corn Bottled in Bond

Blended Whiskey - Seagram's Seven Crown

At the end I gave them an unknown whiskey and asked them to place it in the proper catagory and it was - Old Granddad Bottled in Bond. It was about an even split between placing it as a traditional bourbon and a wheated bourbon with a couple who thought it was a rye whiskey.

Out of the 50 people there 3 told me they liked the Mellow Corn the best and one told me it was a tie between the Mellow Corn and the Old Overholt. There was one who liked the Seagram's Seven Crown and one who definetly liked the Old Overholt. The rest were split between the Weller Antique and the Old Granddad. With that said, it was also the Weller Antique and the Old Forester bottles that they emptied after the tasting.

Mike Veach

That's very interesting. Although, if they are people attending a tasting I'm sure they have an open mind to new flavours and styles of whisky.

I shall give it greater study this afternoon toast.gif

B.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone sell "white dog". I have tasted it too and think its wonderful, a much better vodka alternative in my opinion. If no one does sell it, any guesses as to why not? if someone does, what brand?

David

Depending on how you define "white dog", there are a couple 'em out there.

Mountain Moonshine is, strictly speaking, a blend... but is certainly

unaged whiskey. Tasting notes and discussion at:

http://www.straightbourbon.com/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=17093

Virginia Lightning is also an unaged whiskey. I've been working on some

tasting notes... maybe in the next week or so I'll write something up

formally, if I find the time.

Georgia Moon is ubiquitous, and terrible (by design). Notes at

http://www.straightbourbon.com/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=27908

I personally think of white dog as unaged whiskey that's designed to be aged...

thus there are some less-than-smooth flavors in there that will be smoothed

out during aging. The above-mentioned whiskies were designed to be consumed

without aging... so some folks would say that they aren't exactly white dog.

We often say that the various bourbon distilleries should sell their white

dog, but none of 'em has ever done it.

Tim Dellinger

• 8 months later...

Hello All,

I have been watching for Mellow Corn to appear on the shelf for a while now. I finally found it. I am drinking a bit now. It is nice! Not bourbon. Corn Sweetness with a hint of orange pop. Better than the Platte Valley, I think. Have to head to head them soon. Much better than the Georgia Moon.

Ed

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.