Behind The Scenes at Bluegrass Cooperage

BourbonitisBlues
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

If you'd like to get a behind the scenes look at the art of barrel raising then take a look at the following photo essay and audio tour

http://www.wfpl.org/KY_works/default.htm

This is the latest installment in the Kentucky Works series that airs on WFPL radio in Louisville. I take the photos that accompany the stories on-line.

Hope you enjoy,

BourbonitisBlues

Thanks Brendaj,

Glad you liked it. I have to say that I came away with a whole new respect for the people who work in the plant. That is hard factory work. Very physically demanding....and it's hot in there! But they are carrying on a traditional craft that lends a lot to cultural fabric of Kentucky. I did enjoy the tour and the folks were all very nice.

I just returned this week from doing a story on a female caver in Horse Cave, KY who guides for a living. Next month we will be hunting ginseng in the mountains of Eastern KY.

BourbonitisBlues

It also impresses me how much of the barrel-making process still requires skilled craftwork. Some guys do it better than others. About the only fully automated process, as the documentary notes, is the way the barrels are conveyed through the plant.

So, do your business cards say, "Radio Photographer"? wink.gif

Next month we will be hunting ginseng in the mountains of Eastern KY.

Do you hunt ginsing with a gun or a bow? skep.gif

Chuck,

I'm thinking of adding Radio Photographer to my card, but I can't seem to find enough space amidst all the other crap I do!

gr8erdane,

Here in Kentucky most people refer to act of hunting for ginseng simply as sangin'. As in "I'm goin' sangin' tomorrow." But I didn't think most folks on the list would know what the hell I was talking about! smile.gif

Thanks for taking the time to look at the photos.

BourbonitisBlues

that was a wonderful video report on barrel making. any chance they give tours? I just found it totally interesting BERNCOW

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.