Bourbon Tasting with a sip of water...

brian12069
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I like my bourbon neat. No ice, no water added...strong and straight. I have always had a glass of spring water with it that I sip every now and then when I'm "sampling"

I have recently discovered if I sip my bourbon IMMEDIATELY after sipping the water it brings out a TON of flavor! The water must clense my toungue for a second or something. Anyone else ever notice this? Drink the water...then immediately sip the bourbon...try it yum.gif

I definately notice and do this, especially with the higher-proof bourbons (Stagg, Bookers). I find it greatly refreshes my taste buds. I also find taking little nibbles of unsalted saltines along with the water also helps in this regard.

I always drink water alongside my whisk(e)y, too, but I've never tried to sip them in quick succession. I'll try it tonight.

This is the very reason I prefer a little water in my bourbon. Same result. For me it brings out so many characteristics that are otherwise obscured by the burn of the alchohol.

Bourbon and branch please!

BourbonitisBlues

This is the very reason I prefer a little water in my bourbon. Same result. For me it brings out so many characteristics that are otherwise obscured by the burn of the alchohol.

Bourbon and branch please!

BourbonitisBlues

To be honest...you really don't get the same result if you just put a little water in your bourbon. To me you lose some flavor that way. You should try doing this, it is COMPLETELY different than just putting water in your bourbon...cheers! toast.gif

I find the best results from using the Riedel bourbon glass (or similar) and warming it a bit holding the bowl of the glass in the palm of my hand. The aroma and flavor really come out well, and it allows me to take small sips and savor each one slowly, without the burn. yum.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.