Proof and Preferences..........

BrbnBorderline
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Do any of you seasoned bourbon veterans prefer bourbon at or above certain proofs over others?

The more I drink bourbon, the more it seems that bourbons under 100 proof just don't taste as good as those at 100+.

I really like the following:

[This is my current rotation] drink.gif

Booker's - 126.8 PR

Baker's - 107 PR

Knob Creek - 100 PR

WT 101 - 101 PR

WT Rare Breed - 108.4 PR

I used to really like the following:

Eagle Rare Single Barrel 10 YO - 90 PR

Buffalo Trace - 90 PR

Elijah Craig 12 YO - 94 PR

EW Single Barrel - 94 PR

It just seems to me that anything below 100 PR is watered down, both in taste and "feel" in the mouth - watery versus "oily".

Anyone understand what I'm trying to say?

toast.gif

I notice that you say it is your current rotation. I too rotate through the bourbons in my collection. I sometimes will spend a few weeks with the wheaters, then for some reason my tastebuds want to go in the other direction and I find that I am drinkning a lot of rye. There was a period about a month ago where all I was interestedin was the barrel proof ones you list. I think that it just depends onw hat is going on in life, what I have been eating and how slow I want to drink my pour. The high proofs last a bit longer. Sometimes the lowere ones don't qutie do it so I move to a higher proof and at other times it is just the opposite. The key is to enjoy what you are experiencing in each pour you have. toast.gif

I don't think of myself as "seasoned," but for me, bourbon choices are largely driven by mood. One day, Booker's neat in a snifter might seem right; on another, Old Fitzgerald on the rocks is the ticket.

If your rotation is higher proof right now, have you tried the "standard" Eagle Rare 101 or OGD 114? Sounds like they're down your current alley.

Yes, me too. I have a strong preference for 100-proof and higher. I try to never buy anything below 90. I do, however, greatly enjoy Old Grand Dad 86. But, I never, ever buy anything at 80-proof.

Some of my greatest favorites are WT Rare Breed, OGD 114, and the 95-proof Old Forester Birthday Bourbon (2002 edition). Also, 94-proof Blanton's.

Tim

That OGD 114 looks tempting.

Which distillery is it from?

The reason I ask, is that I don't care for anything coming out of Heaven Hill right now - EC, EWSB, Fighting Cock, etc.... they just seem to be bitter.

It is made by the Jim Beam company, but I don't know which specific distillery. Others here will know.

Definitely not HH, though.

Tim

I tend to lean towards the higher proofs, too, but I certainly don't "poo poo" the below 100 proofs. Sometimes I'm just not in the mood for the fuller flavors of higher proofs. I like Ezra Brooks 101 for a good everday kinda pour.

I certainly won't disagree with your personal feelings but I'm inclined to think that a lot of taste is preconceived perceptions. I think we expect a bit more 'kick' out of the higher proof bourbons and expect the 'higher alcohol' taste and therefore brace our tastebuds for it, trying to block out the alcohol and focus on the other tastes. Then when drinking the lesser proofs we let down our guard and don't focus as much. Therefore, we perceive more taste with the higher proofs than the lower or at least that's the way I see it and have experienced it.

Well said -- and I agree. Two of my regular favorites -- meaning I virtually never find them 'off' -- are the Stagg '03 (142 proof) and Rebel Yell (80 proof). If I have a 'house bourbon' it's 86-proof Jim Beam Black. I appreciate 114-proof Noah's Mill more with each sampling, but agree with many others here about the merits of Weller 12 (90 proof) and AAA 10yo (86 proof). Each is what it is, and proof is only one of variables.

Tim and I are among the resident cheerleaders for OGD 114. Tasty & a bottle won't require a second mortgage (roughly $20/750ml around here). My official backpacking bourbon. "When you can only carry 6 oz of bourbon get 8 oz worth of kick".

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.