Tanqueray Ten

Vision
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Anybody pouring this? I think it's great stuff. Easy drinking on hot nights.

You think it's spicy? I'm not a good enough taster to be certain. But it's so fruity I didn't think of it as spicy.

My memory is bad. I indulged last night and it is definitely spicy. It's just in a slightly different way then what I'm used to with bourbon.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, not spicy like rye spicy. It has that juniper spicy thing thing going on, but remains silky smooth.

I have a bottle and like it. It is, and is advertised to be, a little citrusy, if that is even a real word. I can't say it is spicy.

It makes a great gin and tonic, though... just like its older brother.

I am beginning to like Plymouth Gin, also.

If fact, maybe all that alcohol is getting to my brain......... falling.gif

I find the Ten to be a bit smoother than the Plymouth. I guess my interpretation of spicy is tied in to a sort of citrus peel kinda flavor. The Plymouth was supposedly the first gin listed in a published martini recipe.

Does make a fantastic gin/tonic

You gin lovers will get a kick out of this: for years I had used Bombay Sapphire, Plymouth, or other high-end gins for my G&T's....but my father-in-law kept insisting that the best gin for G&T's was el cheapo Gilbey's. I have to admit, it has a pleasant taste that the expensive gins just can't equal (but *ONLY* in G&T's...I still use Plymouth for martinis!). I know it's weird, but try a side-by-side.

As with vodka, I really see no sense in paying a lot of extra money for gin. I drank Gilbey's for years, when I was younger. I also had a fondness for Sir Robert Burnett's, which was even cheaper. Now, I pretty much hold the line at regular Tanqueray, Beefeater's, or Bombay. But I'm pretty sure Gilbey's would still do just fine.

Tim

I know some people will razz me for this, but I make my own. I add a teaspoon of juniper berries and some orange and lemon peel to a bottle of decent vodka.

Gary

Now, I pretty much hold the line at regular Tanqueray, Beefeater's, or Bombay.

Those three have pretty much been my standard for over thirty years. I enjoy the pricier gins( Sapphire, Ten, Hendricks ) but the former trio never disappoints.

I can relate to that. I've always had a affection for cheap gins. They just tasted better to me.

I usually drink regular Tanqueray or Boodles. Boodles is cheaper than Tanqueray and makes a mighty nice G&T or Martini. I have not tried Gilbey's but did notice that it is very popular with younger people in the Philippines. It was an interesting trip. Older middle class people drink Fundador brandy, younger middle class drink Gilbey's gin and the poorer people drink Tanduay rum, which is amazing btw.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.