Old Fitzgerald 1849

Guest **DONOTDELETE**
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Is anybody out there as big of a fan of Old Fitzgerald 1849 as I am? I always considered it one of the better products given to me at United Distillers during the employee quota give away. I am down to my last bottle and I guess I will have to actually by one or more now to keep my bar stocked. It has a very rich caramel flavor with a hint of wood. The color is a nice deep amber and at 90 proof and 8 years of age it is a great bargin of a bourbon.

Mike Veach

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Would y'all suggest that I buy a bottle of 1849 or just go full bull with Very Special Old Fitzgerald?

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Linn,

The 1849 is a very good bourbon and cheaper than the Very Special Old Fitzgerald. The only thing is I don't know if Heaven Hill is going to continue to make this label since the 1849 date actually comes from the founding date of W.L. Weller and Sons. Under the Van Winkles it was Weller 1849 but the new owners decided that Old Fitzgerald was the bigger name so they stuck the date on the Old Fitzgerald name. It might very well become a "rare bourbon" to find.

Mike Veach

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Mike,

The 1849 name may have originally related to W.L. Weller, but the actual whiskey (at least currently) would still have been Fitzgerald, wouldn't it? Okay, I suppose that was a moot point until the buy-offs, but when HH bought the Old Fitzgerald label I think they also bought all the Old Fitzgerald stock as well, didn't they? That doesn't always happen, of course, but I thought I read that it did this time. So even if they should choose to name it something else, it would be the same whiskey.

I can see why Heaven Hill might not keep the "1849" designation; aside from the fact that Buffalo Trace now has perfect justification for using it on W.L. Weller products it now owns. HH has spent a great deal of time and resources associating its product with Evan Williams and Elijah Craig, two distillers who date from the 1780's (indeed, there already is a 10-year-old "Evan Williams 1783" brand). I don't suppose using "1849" on a label would be much of a prestige-enhancer for them. Hey! Among all their old, retired labels, wouldn't it be ironic to find that Heaven Hill has owned the rights to "Old Judge" all these years? That would sure be a great name for the product!

=John=

http://w3.one.net/~jeffelle/whiskey

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

John,

I am not sure what the contract with Heaven Hill and Buffalo Trace is but in 1993 when U.D. sold brands to Heaven Hill part of the deal was to supply bourbon to support the brands until Heaven Hill had their own bourbon for the brands. I would think that the deal this time was similar to the 93 deal. I can not see why it would not be because U.D. had a sea of wheat recipe bourbon and they sold off all of their wheat recipe bourbon's except Rx and I doubt that they need much bourbon for Rx. Heaven Hill and Buffalo Trace should have plenty of good bourbon for the next 6 or 7 years.

Mike Veach

Veach:

> Is anybody out there as big of a fan of Old Fitzgerald 1849 as I am?

Huge. Might be my second favorite midline bourbon. Much as I like the VSOF 12 YO, the 1849 is always the first Fitz I recommend to people. In fact, it's usually the first wheated bourbon I recommend. I'm downright evangelical about it sometimes.

> It has a very rich caramel flavor with a hint of wood.

Mmm-hmm. I also get a little soft mint/basil depending on what I've eaten that day.

Stotz

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Just found a bottle of Old Fitzgerald 1849 in a store in Indiana for under $15. It is very nice, but I do like the hearty richness of the Bottled in Bond Fitz a little better. The 1849 would be perfect for when I am in the mood for something a little lighter, but still with lots of flavor. When I get home I plan on tasting these side by side.

I had to go through several stores before I found this bottle, and it was the last one on the shelf, perhaps it is not being distributed lately, anyone know?

Mark A. Mason, El Dorado, Arkansas

They're still making Rx? No freaking way. Of all the things UD decides to keep selling, they pick Rx. My mind doesn't get blown very often, but this did it. Did it sell particularly well in KY/IN, or do they just have labels they need to use up?

Stotz

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

They didn't keep Rx, per se. They kept George Dickel, and Rx is one of their brands. It's export only, I believe. I've never tried it, but I'll be bringing some pre-1964 Cascade Kentucky Bourbon with me for friends to taste and if anyone's tried Rx they can confirm whether it's very similar. If so, then I'd have to say Rx is some pretty fine whiskey -- the Cascade sure is.

I have a little more to say about this (well, a lot more, really), but I'm posting it in the Tennessee Whiskey forum. Beware, radical and unsupported speculation ahead...

=John=

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Chuck,

As by your request here is the story of Rx bourbon. It all started after U.D. screwed up Rebel Yell by making it 80 proof etc.. They were having trouble selling it overseas so they decided to create a new brand to sell this wheated bourbpn overseas. It fell on Chris Morris and myself to sort through all of the trademarks that we owned and to give the heritage (i.e. history) of each brand we presented. One of the few that Chris and I really pushed was Cascade bourbon. There was the Stitzel connection because when prohibition forced the Dickel Distillery to close in Tennessee in 1910, The Schwabs brought the company to Louisville where they signed a contract with A. Ph. Stitzel allowing them to build a leeching column at the the Stitzel disitllery and to make Cascade Whisky on the days that Stitzel was not distilling for himself. This relation continued up to prohibition when both companies had to quit distilling at the site. The Cascade Whisky became part of the Stitzel consolidation warehouse and Stitzel and W.L. Weller and Sons sold the whisky during prohibition for the Schwabs. After prohibition ended the brand was sold to Schenley who started making Cascade bourbon. It was a brand that was made at about a dozen distilleries owned by Schenley before they quit making it in the late 60's. When Schenley built the Dickel distillery they elected to create Dickel 8 and 12 rather than confusing the consumers with the Cascade name. (Trivia: Schenley chose the numbers 8 and 12 because they tested better with consumer polls than any other number so there is no significance to those nubers other than the fact that they sound good.)

Anyway back to the Rx story. With this history to support the brand the marketing people decided they liked the story but hated the name. They decided to play up heavily on the prohibition sales of Dickel's Cascade and call the new product Rx. To give the whiskey a catch phrase to make it different from Rebel Yell they decided to throw an couple of hand's full of sugar maple charcoal if the filtering process along with their activated charcoal thus they can claim that it is 'sugar maple filtered". The whiskey is too low of a proof to be anything outstanding but it is simply a standard wheat recipe bourbon from U.D.

Mike Veach

Rx is export only and probably could not be sold in the U.S. due to the name. Beverage alcohol marketers cannot attribute any health or medicinal benefits to their products--an ironic post-prohibition regulation, since the only legal way to obtain whiskey during prohibition was by prescription.

--Chuck Cowdery

• 2 weeks later...
Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Followup to my last posting. I have had the chance to put the Old Fitzgerald 100 proof BIB and the 1849, 8 year old 90 proof side by side for several nights in a row. Well, the rich carmal and vanilla of the 1849 has won me over. This is the stuff that mellow evenings of contemplation and relaxiation are made for. I plan on stocking up on 1849, since it is now my favorite Fitz, and therefore my favorite wheated bourbon (with the possible exception of the Van Winkles). Hope plans are to continue this bottling.

Mark A. Mason, El Dorado, Arkansas

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

According to Jim Land at the Bernheim (Heaven Hill) plant, they will definatly be keeping the Old Fitz 1849. The one in question that was not in the Heaven Hill display case at the plant was the Old Fitz 100 proof BIB. Jim had told us that the Bourbons in the display case were the current Heaven Hill Bourbons.

~Linda~

• 1 year later...

I have recently posted in another thread my extreme disappointment with today's Old Fitz BIB, which I understand is produced under different auspices than two years ago.

I am curious as to whether the 1849 may have undergone similar changes over the last two years.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Retiree, Musician, Dog-Lover, Whiskey-Drinker

Mike Veach reported to me recently that there is still whiskey in the Stitzel-Weller warehouses, but most of it is being exported to France. Why France? I don't know.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://cowdery.home.netcom.com>--Chuck Cowdery</A>

wish i could get a whole barrel before the french get their hands on them bottles. tis a shame. den

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

You can Den! Just send a message to Julian! He's already picked out the very best barrels.I'm sure he'll sell you the contents of his very best barrel. Can you afford the price? What the French are getting the French deserve. I just pray that they are paying way; way too much! Viva la France! Has anyone seen my pants???

Pants Away!

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

It's obvious to me why they would be sending it to France. I love Old Fitzgerald 1849.

A votre sante'

John A. Dube'

(yes, I live in Vegas, but I'm 100% French blood)

It's about time we got back to the task of demeaning the French. Talking about bourbon was beginning to bore me.

You wanna start something? I wanna know what bourbon you'd pair with a salmon and spinach quiche.

Let's hear it!

Cheers,

Jim Butler

Straightbourbon.com

BOOKER'S . . . . . . .maybe the high proofage would numb my tongue enough so I wouldnt taste the quiche!tongue.gif!!!!

Bleah! (not BLEE) BLLLLLLEEEEEEEAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Tom(OLD Amphibian. . . .heh heh . . .)C

The funny part is that salmon and spinach quiche is really quite tasty. Washing it down with bourbon though; there's a thought that could gag a maggot.

Cheers,

Jim Butler

Straightbourbon.com

weird huh, I like other quiches, spinach, & salmon, but when I had a quiche similar to what you described once before it just turned my stomach. It really doesn't make much sense, huh?

TomC

Did you say your Pants Are in France?!?!?!?, damn that Booker's musta been strong if it sent your balls up da block and your pants on a transcontinental journey!, That musta been one helluva sight!

crazy.gifcrazy.giflaugh.giflaugh.gifcrazy.gifcrazy.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif!!!!!

TomC

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.