2004 Sazerac 18 year old information

Paradox
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Info from Buffalo Trace I got today about this year's Sazerac.

<font color="green"> Our barrels of Sazerac Rye 18 year were all distilled in October of 1985 and we’ve had them in Warehouse K on the first floor. We have to keep these low in the warehouse or we’d lose all the whiskey to evaporation after 18 years! This vintage is as big and spicy as ever. I hope you like it. </font>

• 1 month later...

Nope

My eyes did not decieve me.

Does anyone have an idea how long they will wait before releasing the bottles?

• 4 months later...

I've been puzzling over the '04 Saz since opening a bottle several pours ago, but just tonight finally hit on what it's been reminding me of.

It has taken till now to realize where I have smelled Saz before, and I've been wracking my brain for a match. Finally, the light bulb has come on -- it smells like the grain we used to feed the milk cows when I was a kid. It took me awhile to come up with it because that was almost 40 years ago.

When we kept a small dairy herd back in the '60s, the grist-mill truck would come to our farm every couple of weeks and grind our feed grain for us from whatever formula we decided from available fodder and what the mill could provide. We generally had our own corn and oats, but always had the mill add rye and malt (barley, of course) to enrich it. Once in the feed bin, if you stuck your hand down into the middle of it, grabbed a handful and brought it to your nose -- voila! Sazerac.

Since the distinctness of the Sazerac nose differs from other ryes, I'm guessing it has a higher percentage of malted barley than many whiskeys. (I'm perfectly prepared to be wrong about that, but for some reason the malt sure has more presence in the nose here.) That's the 'odd' aroma I keep getting, the malt -- the same one I smelled in a handful of feed grain in the barn as a kid.

I also note this from the BT release about the Saz:

Our barrels of Sazerac Rye 18 year were all...in Warehouse K on the first floor. We have to keep these low in the warehouse or we’d lose all the whiskey to evaporation after 18 years!

Would a larger percentage of malt -- if, indeed, there is that here -- result in a more active whiskey in the barrel, and thus, greater aging loss -- or would that occur with any mash bill on a higher floor?

The higher floors are hotter, hence more evaporation. Malt content has nothing to do with it. The location doesn't support your premise, nor does it dispute your premise. It just has no bearing on it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.