2004 George T. Stagg <older than 16 years this time around!>

Paradox
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Sounds like you didn't get the label like someone else reported. The fact that it's 129 proof says to me that it's the 2004 version.

The Stagg label doesn't show a year like the Eagle Rare 17yo and the Sazerac Rye, but the Stagg proof has been unique each year (probably why they don't put the year on the label). The 2004 was 129 proof, so that's what you've got.

For comparison and future reference, the '02 was 137.6 proof, the '03 142+ proof. It's potent stuff. By all means, try it neat for the experience, but don't feel obliged to finish the whole bottle that way. I dilute mine to around 96 proof (3Stagg:1water) and enjoy it immensely, while appreciating the fact it makes a bottle last longer.

Ack, may have made a mistake, just checked my bottle which has only a gold sticker which says 2002 whiskey of the year. Don"t know which expression this one is but was informed it was the first and presumed yours was the same.

Squire

Ken, you're the MAN!! bowdown.gif

As was mentioned in another post, PA has indeed received more Stagg (apparently, about 20 cases). Our store got 2 cases.

Thanks, Ken, for your efforts. They are certainly appreciated. toast.gif

SpeedyJohn

• 2 weeks later...

Tim.....I've gone ahead and done what some may call sacreligious here. I've rebottled a bottle of '04 and '03 Stagg down to 105 proof. It seems to be the approx proof I enjoy these bourbons at.....brings out more "nose" and less numbing heat across the tongue. I use a graduated cylinder and Ozarka water for dilution and put the reduced proof Stagg in a nice decanter with a label stating the revised proof. The undiluted portion of each bottle stays in the original Stagg bottle for those wanting the full effect.

What prompted this was Val recently offered to go downstairs and get me a drink while we were watching a movie upstairs. I said pour me an '03 Stagg with a little water and one ice cube. I could tell from the color of the pour that her version of a little water and my version are very different. Stil tasty....but probably down to 50 proof. The rebottling eliminates the guesswork/snafus of how much water I like in my Stagg.

Randy

See, this makes excellent sense, I do this too with almost all high proof whiskies. They were not meant to be drunk over 100 (itself a rather fearful number except for us hardened types here smile.gif) and many in fact will prefer them taken down even further. It may take some of the romance away from buying the high proof products but not really. They present the advantage that one can adjust them to personal preference. Also, one has the assurance of small batch (generally) quality and distinctiveness for the single barrel bourbons. I can't resist experimentation even further, my Blanton barrel proof now has a proportion of Elmer T. Lee added for additional age and depth. Why not, both are from the same company, probably from the same mash bill, so it is a personal mingling, one might say, I am "tracing" my own path... Before doing that, I added some Blanton to the Lee - the Blanton-spiked-with-Lee is better though, really good rich whiskey oh yeah..

Gary

...I've rebottled a bottle of '04 and '03 Stagg down to 105 proof...brings out more "nose" and less numbing heat across the tongue.

Glad to hear it, though I really never believe NOBODY except me likes it toned down a bit. The accelerated nose and accentuated flavors (vs. the alcohol 'heat') are other excellent side effect, as you note. I find even at 2:1 (that puts the '04 at 86 proof, and the '03 at 95 proof), there's still no question that the pour's Stagg. All the sensations are still there, and smile.gifmy bottles last longer.

I received an email from Beverages & More , a large retail liquor chain in CA. They were offering a 10% off coupon, so I browsed to their site. They HAD 3 bottles of Stagg @ $45 (I'm assuming 2004) that I snagged. Also added a couple of Sazerac Rye. I went to check out and they only allow direct shipment on liquor to CA addresses. I'm glad I have a Aunt that lives in CA smile.gif

What prompted this was Val recently offered to go downstairs and get me a drink while we were watching a movie upstairs. I said pour me an '03 Stagg with a little water and one ice cube

Regardless of the outcome, this exchange seems like it's out of some bourbon fueled fantasy to me. Heck, even in my fantasy world, reality invades. At our house, it would be more like:

Dave (as Tina gets up): Hey, would you get me a drink?

Tina: As long as you're not planning on having the last of that 03 Stagg.

Or perhaps

Dave: Hey, whatcha drinkin?

Tina: 03 Stagg, one cube, and a little water.

Dave: Can I have a sip?

Tina: No.

When we offered Stagg uncut and unfiltered, it was our intention to let consumers cut it to the proof they most enjoyed. As a matter of fact, you may want to experiment with several different proofs.

My wife is not a bourbon drinker, so I don't worry about my Stagg disappearing at home. I have come from work before and found a friend in my house, alone with my wife! Was he messing around? Absolutely, he had opened my bottle of Stagg, Sazerac 18, Eagle Rare 17, and Elmer T. Lee. I kind of wish he had other pursuits on his mind!

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

I admit to being something of a novice when it comes to drinking bourbon or other whisky for that matter, but I like to drink Stagg at barrel proof. A little water doesn't hurt, but it is terrific just as it is. I view Stagg as a bargain and relatively inexpensive (for its quality) so I don't feel the need to stretch my bottles that far. It doesn't make for fair comparisons with other whiskys, but I drink whisky for enjoyment (and the well known health benefits) and am not worried about unfair comparisons.

• 1 month later...

I made a trip to my local bevmo only see an empty shelf behind the stagg card.the salesman found two bottles at the la jolla store which they pulled from the shelf for me. sales guy said " we can hold it for you as long as you pick it up within a couple days" my reply "days? i'll be there in 30 minutes"

post-731-1448981179286_thumb.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.