Elijah Craig 18 Single Barrel

hoosierboy
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

barreled on 12-17-81, barrel No. 995

I just picked up my first bottle of Elijah Craig 18yo (I've had many EC12s, which is such a great bargain that I've put off trying the 18). It too was barrelled on 12-17-81 (barrel #968). I assume it was bottled four years ago, and they've been maintaining a healthy inventory in the distribution warehouse, but there is no way to know without a "bottled-on" date.

Overall, I am quite pleased with it. I can detect some of the character of EWSB behind the wood. What I really look for, though, is something unique in each different bourbon bottling, and obviously something pleasant. This certainly provides that! yum.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all again! Well, I've drunk about half the bottle since my first post. First off, I'm still a newbie when it comes to describing bourbon and other whisky, so it's hard for me to describe all the different tastes I find in bourbon and other things. Anyway:

I find this Elijah Craig 18 very drinkable. I would say it's an every day bourbon. Very easy to drink during any weeknight.

I actually am a little disappointed in it tho. I like really dark and thick tasting bourbon, like the Elijah Craig 12 or even Jack Daniels. They remind me of chocolate to a certain small degree. This 18 is like most of my other bourbons and all my scotch's - light. It does seem to have more flavors than the others. Or perhaps the flavors come alive more than the others.

Unlike some of my other bourbons, I can enjoy this no matter what kind of mood I'm in or how I'm feeling.

I don't know, maybe I'm just used to drinking diet coke so much that I like bourbon that's as rich tasting as that. I don't like rum or tequila either, because they taste like water to me.

Another thing, this EC 18 is bottled at 45% ALC/VOL. The 12-year EC is 47% if I remember right. That 47% tastes really perfect to me. That's one reason why I don't like Seagram's, it's bottled at a light 40%. 50% and above seems too much for me. Again, that 47% seems just right. Or maybe Elijah Craig 12 is just right.

I know when I drink the EC 12 I get a jolt that runs thru my body. Yes, I know you’re supposed to drink bourbon and other whisky for the taste, not the effect. But I have to be serious, I like powerful whisky that knocks my block off, and tastes good too. I find it all soothing. And Elijah Craig 12 is perfect to me. And I only drink about two ounces over an hour. I sit back and enjoy it. Maybe if I’m in the mood I will have another ounce or two, over another hour.

Ok, so will by another bottle of EC 18? Maybe, but not anytime soon. Will I buy a bottle of EC 12? Yes, and very soon.

So, Elijah Craig 12 is my favorite bourbon so far, I would say EC 18 is my second favorite. Now, if I add all whisky's, then EC 12 would be #1, Jack Daniels #2, Highland Park 12 scotch #3, and EC 18 #4. Again, all of these I would need to be in the mood to drink, except the EC 18. So maybe that's not so bad.

And now a question: I've noticed a lot of people seem to put down Jack Daniels. Why is that? Because of the taste or because it's not made in Kentucky and a real bourbon? Just wondering.

Again, I want to mention that I really haven't tried too many different bourbons. There are a lot of different ones I want to try. And I would love to get my hands on some Japanese Whisky, but it's hard to find around here.

Anyway,

Thanks!

I have a preference for heavy, strong bourbons, myself. It's interesting to me that you'd put EC12 in that category, since I don't think I would do so.

I highly recommend you try Wild Turkey Russell's Reserve. It's got great weight, a strong bite, and lots of character. Booker's also falls squarely into the "heavy and very tasty" category. Both are high proof drinks, too.

I'm not entirely sure if you were kidding with this statement: "I don't know, maybe I'm just used to drinking diet coke so much that I like bourbon that's as rich tasting as that." In any case, it sure made me laugh. I think Diet Coke is just about the worst tasting product on the shelf. If I ever found a bourbon that tasted like Diet Coke, I would pour it down the drain immediately and wash my mouth out with real bourbon.

falling.gif

To each his own!

• 7 months later...

although i enjoy the ec 18yr just fine, i do prefer many other, less expensive bourbons. i will say that i think its bottle is gorgeous. i think it is the most elegant in my collection.

• 1 month later...

Cracked my first bottle of EC 18 (barrel #1203 dtd 12-17-81)and I'm pretty confident this will stay at the top of my list for a while, the price of $33.99 is fair enough.

I'm still a noob but I've gotten most of the way through a bottle of EC 12 y.o., and in my mouth I can only catch the most fleeting and subtle hints of what others seem to dislike about it. But for me, on balance, the previously reported good points overcome. In a way, it doesn't represent what I'm looking for, my personal subjective idea of what I want in a bourbon. So far Van Winkle Special Reserve 12 y.o. best fulfills the type of flavor(s) I'm looking for, my (highly unqualified) personal idea of what bourbon should be. But in the end, the EC 12 y.o. got emptied pretty quick while others sat on the shelf... including the Van Winkle.

Back to the EC 18. I do like it better than the 12 year old. A bit smoother, the first bourbon I've tried that I describe with the word "silky," and then not even fleeting subtle hints of anything I don't like(as with the 12 y.o.), the 18 is pure pleasure. For me its similar to Blanton's in the sense that its very complex with fragrant and spicey notes that I don't anticipate in a bourbon, such as the caramel in the Blanton's.

Theoretically, Van Winkle remains number one for me because its so straightforward, full bodied yet smooth; it matches so well my preconceived notion of good american whisky. But in practice its not uncommon for my EC and Blanton's to get drank more often.

Not to pull this off topic at all..but I would like to comment on the difference and complexity of bourbon, even two so supposedly similar, as to share a namesake. shocked.gif I wish I could either mentally absorb ALLLLLL of this information or print it off, because I bartend and it's terribly hard to get through some people's heads that a certain "type" of whiskey can still offer the full run of flavors, bodies, noses, and finishes that a whiskey drinker is looking for. I keep advertising, and offering every bit of info I can recall when people ask me...but I still have so many Canadian Blend drinkers that I just shake my head n drop a tear. lol. cry.gifsmiley_acbt.gif

I have to admit though...my little country family bar only carries Beam White Label (the boyfriend's favorite) Turkey 101 (yup, still my cheap/easy to get/everyday fave) and Makers Mark (let's not go there) So even when attempting to convince people that there are endless flavor/ strength/ depth options when choosing a bourbon to drink, I don't have the selection to prove it. Dangit.

Sorry to diverge, but I'm just happliy wallowing in the varitey and "bourbon love" here grin.gif Carryon!

Jess

I keep advertising, and offering every bit of info I can recall when people ask me...but I still have so many Canadian Blend drinkers that I just shake my head n drop a tear. lol. cry.gifsmiley_acbt.gif

Jess

Well, keep up the good fight. Occasionally, somebody might listen. banghead.gif

Tim

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.