Stone Brewing Co., North County San Diego - Smoked Porter

Paradox
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Bob has asked if anyone has tried Stone's IPA before, but I finally got to try their Smoked Porter. I've had mixed feelings about porters because some I find to be not powerful enough when it comes to bitterness and others have been 'off the hook' bitter (overly bitter) with a finish that makes one gag. This one from Stone seems to walk that fine line in-between both. Typical porter color and aroma but the initial taste is actually quite different and good. It's hard for me to explain the taste, but I do get somewhat of a smoked flavor in it but not like a fire roasting of the ingredients smoke flavor. Almost reminds me of the way a red pepper tastes different when you fire roast the skin for making fire roasted salsa. After a few seconds it finishes with a more typical porter flavor but still not too powerful.

A bottle from Stone Brewing that I am saving for Bob's next visit is their Arrogant Bastard Ale. Bob's a hop head from hell, so read their site and you'll understand why I am saving to open that one with him! lol.gif

Also, if you care to check out some of their other brews, visit Stone's website here.

post-87-14489811603706_thumb.jpg

Yes indeed, I AM a hop head from hell! hot.gif And I'm proud of it! In fact, I'm enjoying a Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale at this very moment. drink.gif This is released each year prior to Christmas, so although it's August, I'm thinking ahead. grin.gif

BTW, I picked up 2 other Stone Brewing products today...the "Ruination IPA" (that one's making me hoppy already cool.gif; and the Stone Imperial Russian Stout. That should be a good one as well.

Bob

Bob,

I love the Ruination IPA, but I have to save it for the last beer of the evening, as my taste buds are fried and I can't taste anything else lol.gifdrink.gif

I'm enjoying a Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale at this very moment. This is released each year prior to Christmas, so although it's August, I'm thinking ahead.

Yet another seasonal brew to add onto my list to look for this winter. Have you had Samuel Smith's Celebration Ale Bob and if so does Sierra Nevada's compare? Or are they two totally different things?

A bottle from Stone Brewing that I am saving for Bob's next visit is their Arrogant Bastard Ale. Bob's a hop head from hell, so read their site and you'll understand why I am saving to open that one with him!

Let me know what you guys think of this one. To me, it is the strangest beer I have ever tasted confused.gif

We'll be sure to right here Jeff... It'll be getting cracked open in just 2 weeks time! toast.gif Was it real hoppy Jeff, or just plain ol' weird? The site for it makes it sound like it is bitter as holy hell...

Mark,

They are 2 totally different things. One is the easy drinkin' SS Celebration Ale; the other is the SN CA, which is a hop devils kinda brew. hot.gif I, for one, prefer SSCA, its to my liking! drink.gif

Bob

Really, you prefer the brew that is not a "hop devils kinda brew"? And all along I thought you were a hoppy hop head! stickpoke.gifwink.gif Really though, glad I asked to find out that they were different. I really enjoyed that SSCA alot and think I will pick up another when I pass that small place in NJ that still had em'. I'll still buy some SNCA this winter as well though. smile.gif

I don't really remember the hops standing out so much as just a 'plain ol' weird', extra-strong maltiness unlike anything I have ever tried. As the bottle says, maybe I'm not worthy grin.gif

OOOPs, my mistake! That's what I get for using abbreviations! I'll get it right this time, I much prefer the Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale over the Samuel Smith's Celebration Ale. Phew, that was a close one. I hope the hop devil will forgive me. bowdown.gif

Bob

I think I went through 4 sixers of SNCA this year. Hell, you can still find it at Liquor Barn, though it's getting a little past its prime. My first homebrew IPA kinda turned out like the SNCA. I'm down to my last 3 bottles of that frown.gif

As the bottle says, maybe I'm not worthy grin.gif

That's too funny Jeff! lol.gif I do find their marketing both on that site and what is written all over the bottle pretty amusing... Sounds like it will be an interesting one to try!

FWIW, they also brew a "Double Bastard" if you like the AG. I guess you could also call it an "Imperial Bastard". Sometimes I think there can be too much of a good thing lol.gif

• 2 weeks later...

WE ARE WORTHY! lol.gif

Wow, this beer was alot different than both Bob and I thought it would be. Not as hoppy as I was expecting, I found it to have just the right balance. We were both pleased by the color it poured and the wonderful aroma. Initially this brew has an almost sweet fruity taste that finishes with a wonderful hop bitterness. Oddly enough it lingers in the back of your mouth for quite some time after swallowing. I say oddly because initially there is no real bitterness present but it all comes on at the end. I really liked this beer and will definitely try another at some point and I take it Bob was pleased as well.

post-87-14489811609019_thumb.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.