Old Pogue

bobbyc
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I think I will own a bottle or 2 of the newly released " Old Pogue" Bourbon in a week or so. There is a link to their site on the SB.com Homepage. The bottle is in rotation there as well,keep hitting refresh and it will pop up.

Old Pogue Website

There are some fascinating things on the site including the recipe and process for their Jug Yeast, a pretty neat story of a freight manager of a steamer who puts H E Pogue to work loading freight with out knowing his true identity.

A few days ago I was checking to see if Toddys has it yet and someone had dropped an empty off to get him to order some. It is in an absolutely elegant bottle with white letters. I nosed the last few drops and while I can't formulate a complete appraisal, I believe that it will be promising indeed.

Sounds interesting Bobby, I had never heard of this before now. I am certain a bottle will be in my hands soon as well. toast.gif

Thanks for that heads up. I sent off an email to 'em to find out about NY distribution. Looks like from their web site they ain't gone too far from Kentucky, but maybe, just maybe we'll get lucky here.

I was in Toddys earlier today and there were 3 bottles on the shelf. It was in the 45 to 47 dollar price range.

toast.gif

For those of you who are interested, I believe that we can expect Peter Pogue to drop by the gazebo at least once to socialize and give folks a taste of his family's product. I'm looking forward to it.

Yesterday, I stopped by Thoroughbred in Lexington to ask about this product and the distributor was there. He asked how many cases of six I wanted. I told him one. It arrived today. Looks like shelf price in Lex should be around 39.99 or so. I'm only laying claim to four of the six. No idea on the supply. PM me if you want me to bring one to the festival or order some more.

toast.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I had hoped to have a tasting of this together by now, and I have tasted it, I find it to be very good. A few mundane things like 18 tons of rip rap I am lining a pond with, and acquiring a serious amount of hostas has kept me too busy to indulge. At any rate, this is wonderful Bourbon and better still is the resurrection of this Old Kentucky Bourbon Brand. It appears that a little better price is to be had in Lexington than Louisville. I realise the shopping lists are long, the choices many, and sometimes the purse strings short. Still if a bottle isn't on the "Must Have" list, give yourself a treat and find a sip of it in Bardstown. toast.gif

Liquor Barn at Fern Valley has that same price. I ordered mine a couple weeks back and paid a little more somewhere else. It is a fine drink indeed and unlike other Bourbons. A class by itself in my opinion. toast.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got to meet some of the "Pogue" family members...I wish them luck in thier venture. grin.gif

They have my support, (and that does not come easy grin.gif). I was impressed grin.gif

They are true "Gentlemen"...It's going to be great fun to watch this family "lift" thier heritage back into the "limelight" grin.gif

I sincerely reget that they were not present at my "Southern Style Shin Dig". Whiskey Magazine was there and so was the Kentucky Standard (Bardstown paper) I would have placed them front and center along with Jim (Straightbourbon.com), Chuck (Bourbon Straight)...

grin.gifgrin.gif Bettye Jo grin.gifgrin.gif

Not only were they gentlemen, but they looked like they are really enjoying what they are doing. They were having as much fun at the Gazebo as anyone and they were WORKING! Gotta love that.

To all of our friends at SB.com:

On behalf of all the Pogues I say thank you for such wonderful hospitality shown to us at the Gazebo gathering during the Bourbon Festival. We thorougly enjoyed ourselves and your company. We especially enjoyed meeting such wonderful and knowledgeable Bourbon people and sharing of terrific Bourbons. The gathering and your generosity have reaffirmed why we are bringing back our historical brand of Bourbon. Thank you again and we look forward to spending time with you again in the future. Peter H. Pogue

It was a great party, and thanks for coming Peter. I'm glad you folks enjoyed yourselves.

BTW for those of you wondering how Peter could already have 12 posts; he is the user formerly known as 'brbninindy' grin.gif

It was a pleasure to meet all the Pogues. Congratulations on bringing back the Family Brand.

It was a treat to have you available to answer questions about a new product, and provide some context for the wonderful tasting of it. I brought a bottle home to Tennessee, in hopes it will last long enough for distribution to stretch this far. If not -- well, Kentucky's just next door.

Here is a picture that I took, Friday night at the Gazebo...

The grin.gif Pogues grin.gif flanked by SB.com's finest

From Left to Right...Chuck Cowdery, Paul Pogue, Jack (John) Pogue and Jeff Yeast grin.gif

grin.gifgrin.gif Bettye Jo grin.gifgrin.gif

post-20-14489811673742_thumb.jpg

Now if we can just get some Pogue up in Yankeedom. I actually missed out on meeting the Pogues, sad to say. I think I was a bit too tardy to the party.

• 3 months later...

Lenell, I understand that you just hosted an Old Pogue tasting. How was it and will Old Pogue be making its way to New York soon?

I believe they we in NYC on Jan.15th, and I think they are coming back this summer.....Let's hope.... toast.gif

• 1 month later...

I'm sorry I didn't respond sooner. I've been knee deep in tax papers. Yeah, the Pogue family made it to the store for a little get together with customers. One of the brothers was stuck on a plane. We are thinking that they may be back in the spring. Such nice folks.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.