Missouri wines ... was: "My invitation"

gr8erdane
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hmmm, thought I posted last night....

Well, I stopped and picked up some award winning Missouri Wines from Stone Hill Winery for dinner. I'm bringing two bottles each of their best red, Norton and my favorite white, Steinberg. I find both to be delicious but then I don't drink much wine. They were out of the gallon jugs though but you should smell the bouquet when you screw off the caps (just kidding). I'll also bring a stick of my own venison sausage for hors d'oerves (sp?).

I read an article recently about Missouri wines and the Norton in particular. Apparently before Prohibition Missouri had a booming wine industry, led by the Norton grape, which won many prestigious awards. The industry never came back after Prohibition until recently. I'm looking forward to trying it.

Well Chuck, according to the web page Stone Hill was at one time the second largest winery in the United States prior to Prohibition. In 1965 the current owners started rebuilding it. There are several wineries in the Hermann area but I like Stone Hill's wines the best of any I have tried. I may also bring a sample of Missouri's newest winery Cown Valley but as this is their first bottling, it may not raise many brows. I believe I have the Chambourcin (red) and Riesling in my wine cellar. OK, I don't have a wine cellar but it's in a wine rack in my family room downstairs.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.