Kentucky Bourbon Truffles...

boone
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've been looking at this recipe for quite awhile now...One of these days I'm gonna try it out...It's low in carbs grin.gif

I'm posting it here in hope that somebody might give it a whirl grin.gif...Does not look like I'm going to get around to trying it out...at least not for awhile frown.gif...

Kentucky Bourbon Truffles

grin.gifgrin.gif Bettye Jo grin.gifgrin.gif

I'll give it a whirl when I can get my hands on some good dark chocolate again. I made some of white truffles a while back and they were really tasty.

1 1/4 lb white chocolate

3/4 cup heavy cream

1/4 cup Old Whiskey River Bourbon Cream Liqueur

1/4 cup unsalted butter

crushed pecans

10x sugar

Chop up the chocolate in small chunks. Mix cream and Old Whiskey River Cream in a saucepan until boiling. Remove from oven and stir in the chocolate pieces until melted. Add the butter and stir until smooth. Chill for several hours. Once chilled, spoon out and shape into balls about 1 inch diameter. Roll in nuts and dust with 10x sugar.

Here you go Tonya:

Scharffenberger

These guys come to the SF WhiskeyExpo every year and hand out samples. Julian's 20 YO with their dark chocolate is unbelievable!

Mmmmmm...bourbon and chocolate. yum.gif Bourbon and chocolate with bourbon on the side. yum.gifyum.gif

I've only bought Scharffenberger once and was disappointed. It had been sitting on the shelf too long at the store. Maybe I can try it again at the Festival and get the real flavor this time. I usually use Callebaut I get in chunks at my favorite NY grocer Fairway Market . The darker the better. Love to cook with bittersweet.

As pedestrian as it may seem, Dark Milky Way candy bars are excellent with bourbon. Try it sometime.

Scharffenberger is the only brand of chocolate I cook with anymore, and I frequently buy packs of the 5 gram dark squares to pair with bourbon; particularly wheaters.

Leslie and I use Scharffenberger almost exclusively when cooking, or to just break off a piece and eat it yum.gif They sell it at Liquor Barn and Williams Sonoma around here. I like the bittersweet the best.

An aside -- Jim Murray suggests, at the very end of the Whiskey Bible, to nibble dark (and by dark, he means 99% cocoa) chocolate to cleanse the palate before drinking.

I've taken his suggestion to heart, and am impressed by how much more depth and details I can taste in the drink. I eat a small piece with water and wait for the chocolate taste to leave the mouth.

I've always liked dark chocolate. Eating the pure stuff certainly took some getting used to, but now I don't mind it much. It's worthwhile. I usually keep a block of Girardelli Unsweetened in the cupboard for this purpose.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.