Essential American Whisky (and Scotch)

Bamber
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Last night I was enjoying some Weller 19YO - I so love that whisky. Anyway I was marvelling particularly at how unique it is. I can't describe it: dates ? almonds ?

It got me thinking about those whiskies I've tasted that are the most unique (not my favourites necessarily). In no particular order:

Sazerac Rye (floral ultra smooth black cherries and amazing)

Weller 19YO

VWFRR 13YO yum.gif

Van Winkle Special Reserve 12YO lot b (potent)

Jack Daniel single barrel (definitely not what I expected).

Jack Daniel no 7 (tastes like JD !)

Mellow Corn

Talsiker 10YO (A taste of the Skye coastline)

Lagavulin 16YO (Lapsong Souchong tea, iodine and sherry but it tastes good !)

Highland Park 12/18YO

Macallan Cask Strength (savage sherry)

BTW, apologies for mixing whiskies in post.

Cheers, B.

When I think of whiskies that made me stop and think "gosh, this stuff is completely different", the bourbon that comes to mind for me is Blanton's. Not that its tasting profile is unique, but rather it was the first bourbon that made me ask "where is the alcohol burn?"

Since you've mentioned scotches, the malt that completely blew me away at first was Laphroaig. And at first it wasn't a good reaction, it was more like "who squeezed iodine cotton balls into this bottle!?"

I have yet to try Blanton's - I think you've just sealed a bottles doom smile.gif

Laproaig is definitely one of those whiskies too - especially the 10YO cask strength.

Cheers,

B.

As far as American whiskey goes I would opt for Jim Beam rye and the Old Potrero bottlings matured in used barrels. With the emphasis put on tasting profiles, that is.

Eliah Craig 18 y.o. Completely unique. Some days I love it, some days I hate it, but always unique.

I haven't had enough long-term experience with the 18yo to experience that phenomenon (yet), but I can testify to the 12yo doing what I call a "morph." lol.gif It quite literally will seem like a totally different whiskey on different nights. I still can't pinpoint whether it's diet-related, my mindset, or what. Bizarre (and pleasantly unique) characteristic.

Tina & I agree that EC 18 is very unique - although we have never hated it! I like it, and Tina ranks it in her top 5 favorites easily.

Tina also votes for Knob Creek as being very unique, although it's not one of her favorites.

I've been umming an erring about getting a bottle of EC 18 for a while. Its very expensive over here (£42 = $74) but the 12YO is one of my favourite whiskies. Also it gets a bit of a mixed reaction from people who have tried it.

Cheers,

B.

The price makes it a tougher choice. Personally, the most we have ever paid for any whiskey was $60 for a bottle of WT 12 year about 4 years ago, and we are still stretching that bottle out. The other problem is that I don't think a liking of EC 12 necessarily predicts a liking of EC 18. It's a completely different animal to me.

I don't think I'd pay $74 for EC 18, but would certainly keep an eye out for a relative bargain or an opportunity to taste.

But I have to ask - if EC 18 is $74, how much is Weller 19?

toast.gif

(snip)

I don't think I'd pay $74 for EC 18, but would certainly keep an eye out for a relative bargain or an opportunity to taste.

But I have to ask - if EC 18 is $74, how much is Weller 19?

toast.gif

The Weller 19YO ranges from $84 (which I paid) to around $115. Yo have to remember a bottle of JB white label cost $26 here ! Generally most American whisky I drink costs about $40-$60 a bottle.

I paid $185 for a bottle of Stagg 2003 (still unopened - waiting for big event) blush.gif

I am not a rich man, but I don't resent paying those prices for Bourbon. It brings me a lot of pleasure - especially in our cold climate !! With the Weller 19YO, its not just a great, delicious drink, but a piece of history.

Cheers,

B.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.